• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Best bullet for 7mm rem mag

Revo2811

What's up fellas? Looking to reload some bullets for this cal. Looking for a bullet that can take a buck down and also enough for a bear . I know that with bullet placement it doesn't matter . Thanks

Man of few words

Bubblehide

Revo, in many calibers you can get the same grain weight bullet in a medium and heavy game bullet. If your strictly after bear, I'd go with a heavy game bullet. If your hunting deer, and going for that chance encounter of a bear, I'd go with a medium game bullet, intended for what I was actually hunting. Keep in mind that copper will likely perform better than lead on larger game than intended.

Plain ol' Steve

Revo:

Are you looking for a California bullet? If not, then I can say that I was able to reload some Nosler Partition spitzers in 160 grain (Part no. 16327) with good results (bullet placement consistency). It did fine work on my antelope out past 300 yards. They are thin skinned but I think coming out of a 7mm mag it will be fine on deer, bear and elk.

If you are looking for a CA bullet, then you might want to consider starting with the Barnes TSX also in 160 grain . I haven't reloaded it yet but I think that bullet weight is a good one. Of course when it comes to reloading everything you change impacts accuracy.

Good Luck.

Revo2811

Revo, in many calibers you can get the same grain weight bullet in a medium and heavy game bullet. If your strictly after bear, I'd go with a heavy game bullet. If your hunting deer, and going for that chance encounter of a bear, I'd go with a medium game bullet, intended for what I was actually hunting. Keep in mind that copper will likely perform better than lead on larger game than intended.
That's why I'm going with a 7mm. Last year I encountered bear at 300-400 yds . Had my 270win 130 grain no problem with deer but not enough for bear. So I want to have that option this year just in case

Man of few words

Revo2811

Revo:

Are you looking for a California bullet? If not, then I can say that I was able to reload some Nosler Partition spitzers in 160 grain (Part no. 16327) with good results (bullet placement consistency). It did fine work on my antelope out past 300 yards. They are thin skinned but I think coming out of a 7mm mag it will be fine on deer, bear and elk.

If you are looking for a CA bullet, then you might want to consider starting with the Barnes TSX also in 160 grain . I haven't reloaded it yet but I think that bullet weight is a good one. Of course when it comes to reloading everything you change impacts accuracy.

Good Luck.
Looking for a CA bullet Steve I have. I Have 7 months to play around.

Man of few words

adam32

Those look interesting. Do they hold noticeably tighter groups? Basically wondering if they are worth the price of admission?
I'm not sure, I'm working on a deal right now with the company but haven't personally used them yet. I know the bullet (GS Custom) are top notch bullets.

Aught-SixGuy

Too bad CA Is bullet retarded. I'd suggest a Berger 168 or 180 VLD. Two years ago my buddy guided a chick who used his rifle to kill a bull elk at 1173 yards with the 168 VLD, and an acquaintance has killed elk at 1400+ yards with the 180s. For a 7mag a 168 grainer will do everything you want and then some.

slowpoke

I've used the 140 grn TTSX in a 7 mm Rem Mag successfully on antelope, deer, elk and pig. They hold good groups in my rifle and should be pretty easy to locate. I use the Barnes factory loads so I can't help with loadings though

Last edited:

Beastmode

I would look at the etip or Barnes ttsx. Both descent bullets for bear. With deer you are not going to see a ton of consistent internal damage. Go with about 20 grains lighter than you would normally shoot. This keeps velocity up and gives expansion more aid.

A 140 grain bullet should suit you fine in all copper bullets. I have taken elk, deer, and pigs with a 130 ttsx out of a 270 wsm traveling right over 3200 fps. With copper bullets there is no margin for air. They are meant for penetration, not energy release. If you hit a little far back the bullets only damages what it contacts. The benefit to this is you have next to no meat loss. You can pretty much eat to the bullet hole.

With this type of bullet construction I have changed where my point of aim is. With copper bullets I tend to favor a mid shoulder shot. There is more solid tissue to allow better expansion. Next to no meat loss and penetration is a non issue. Even my 130 grain ttsx blew through both shoulder blades on a bull at 300 yards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bubblehide

I use the E-tips, they are a gilding metal, and do provide expansion. Without hitting bone, they don't expand much, normally, but they do disperse their energy well. I haven't had any issues with bone until recently on a small pig, here is the result of a spine shot

Revo2811

Good input fellas that what I'm looking for all around hands on experience.
I used Barnes on my 270win 130grain . Drops the animal with a small hole . First time messing around with the 7mm
Thanks again

Man of few words

Top Bottom