BEST CAMERA, SENSOR, TIMER etc. COMBO?

BUCKRIDER

Reaction score
I dont want to sound lazy, but there is so much info and combinations of options of what components to use, that I am confused on what to use for building new trail cams since the first ones I built. Is anyone out here willing to post their opinion as to what they think is the best combination of components to use for current options availabe? I am sure there are others with the same question. Please list items you would use and descriptions. Many Thanks!

Tinhorn

Reaction score
To get the top 10 designs,  just ask 10 different people on here,  ha ha.  Everybodies is the best, at least for them.

I hope we don't start another "Mine is better than yours" debate, we had some borderline Debate/Arguements over this in the past.

If I was you, I'd build the easiest one 1st then you'll decide what bells and whistles you want on the next one(s)

Tinhorn

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
I recommend the RS PIR and the Canon Owl PF camera for your first one.  You can always add a timer later (this winters project for me).

Todd

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hey! I disagree!  You'd get AT LEAST 11 different answers if you asked 10 people! ;)
>>>>
Anyway... Price, size, electronics knowledge, power consumption, etc, will all play a part in your decision on what parts to use.  There really is no "best" solution...... well except for mine of course :)
>>>>
Search through all the previous posts and you should get a fair idea of which parts are best for various requirements.

Good Luck!,
Archilochus

bigmandude

Reaction score
ok my $.02

any canon you can find cheap
any sensor you can find cheap
any relay you can find cheap
any enclosure you can find cheap
any battery you can find cheap.

at least until you get one camera built that is reliable... get all the bugs out first, then modify one piece at a time.. that way you will always know what part caused a problem.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 I used the Radio shack 49-425 for my first because there is a picture of this set up,it was so simple i almost laughed out loud. i have modified both the AF and PF model canons and they where both simple,just go slow and easy and it will all work out.

gizz

Reaction score
I'm not touchin this one
:nope-blue:

well ok - my first was canon owl bf(little green dial), MS20, 12V gel battery. No LED, 1 switch for the battery. Worked great until a bear chewed off the sensor. It's gonna get rebuilt over the winter.

the next generation for me is the Owl pf, Lamson(GE) Pir, Joed's timer.

I'm using the 6x6x4 inch PVC outdoor box from lowe's. Nothing fancy but does the job for me.

WHATEVER you pick you'll have GREAT satisfaction in the end results - honestly! Of course then yours will be better than all the rest of ours :wink-yellow:

Possum

Reaction score
I have a MS20 and a RSPIR cam.  I like the setup of RSPIR-OWL PF-Joe's Timer.  All are easy to make and modify. However, My MS20 with the OWL and Joes timer works good too.  I would say and proven combinations that you can find for the least amount of money will do the trick.  By the way, I use ammo cans.  They are cheap $3-$4 and they will take a lickin and keep on tickin.

BUCKRIDER

Reaction score
Wow thanks guys! I didnt expect such quick responses. I have built 5 so far and used the ms20 regent sensor w/ the blue rectangle relay that looks like the one being replaced, owl pf or bf cameras, a metal electrical box w/ front cover and 2 screws, a 12 volt 1.3 amp/hr. gel battery and the solinoid from Jamesco. It sounds like this is basically still the most popular system going right now except to add the Joe-D timer and to eliminate the solinoid by wiring the camera direct. My BIG questions at this point are this, Does the Joe-D timer simply connect to your existing system with minor soldering/connections or do you still have to do some building/modifying? And will the timer being in place eliminate the cameras locking up and increase battery charge longivity? My problems have been, solinoid staying on so long it drains battery sooner than desired unless i use the 4 second delay (test position ) on ms 20 sensor, then get too many pics of same animal. And then on occasion the cameras will lock up and the sensor proceeds to run battery down attempting to take pics anyway(usually only when using 2 minute delay). You know basically the same problems everybody else is having! Just wondering if these changes will fix all the problems? Thanks for the input! Good hunting to all of you.

Possum

Reaction score
The timer input connects to the two wires coming from the relay that your camera used to connect to.  Then the output wires from the timer go to the camera in place of the wires that came from the original relay.   It is easy to modify existing cams that have no timer.  Just insert the timer between the PIR relay and the camera.  Of course you will have to add a few things.  You will have the two LED's and pushbuttons that determine the timer delay and the counter.  Also, you may want a off-on switch for the timer or use the Radio Shack AA battery holder with a off-on switch (1.99).  You can use 3 or 4 recharchable AA's or 2-3 alkaline batteries.  Joe now has two chips with different time out periods.  You can actually switch the chips in or out depending on your circumstances after you install the timer.  He uses a mount to hold the chip making this possible.    My bet is he will come out with different chips in the future.

The timer will eliminate cam lockup.  After the picture is taken the camera "rests"and does not stay activated thus thwarting the shutdown of the camera.

(Edited by Possum at 8:28 am on Oct. 12, 2001)

BUCKRIDER

Reaction score
Mr. Possum, Thank you so much for your reply! I believe that will be the answer to my problems! I came across the thread for the Joe-D timers time before last I checked this site but didnt find it this last time? Do you know where I can find the info as to where to get the timer from Joe-D? I remember he was saying he will build one complete for about $30 or so or will send just the programmed chip. I wish to get the completed finished timer! So if you can point me in the right direction I would be gratefull! Thanks again!

Matt in MO

Reaction score
To add to possum's statement - the RS $1.99 battery holder is a fine holder, but note JoeD timer needs ~4.5 volts, so you only use three AA batteries. Solder a wire between the battery connections in the slot furthest from the red and black leads.

I forget to check mA usage of the timer, hopefully someone can do that and post it. JoeD predicts 6 months service with alkalines.

Top Bottom