Best Digital Cam??

Pgumby68

Inactive
Reaction score
What is the best, affordable digital cam for a home brew? I want to use it with one of the prebuilt boards like Brian's. I'd like to keep the camera under $200.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
DB and HH both have cams using the Olympus D-360 for $139.  They are happy with it.

I just got a s200 and I'm getting great pictures at 40+ feet with no external flash.  It has some nice options for night pics.  It should also work well with IR light, but I havn't tested that yet.  Thats a good price on the s100,  They work real good at night, and brian has worked out all the mods.

Steiner

Reaction score
AEH,
Is that the Cannon S200 you are using?  What are you doing to get 40 ft. night shots or is the flash that good?  Do you have any night pictures at that distance you would care to show?  

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Yes it's the cannon s200.  I don't want to mislead you,  they are still night pictures,but at 40 feet there will be no problem seeing antlers and counting points.  I'm just using the built in flash.  I have just been messing with it in the yard, trees and such.  It has IS0 400 and a Long shutter mode.  It also has a Flash Sincronization mode for the long shutter mode and I think it flashes several times.  I'm going to do a little more testing to determine which setting works best, but so far i couldnt be happier.  It will film in black and white also, so I'm hoping it will take pics with IR light as well.  It will see IR light from the remote control

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
The only way to get a D370 for the price AEH was talking about is on sale. They are on sale right now at office max. The D380 is replacing this camera, and I'm not sure if anyone has hacked it yet. It lists for $199.99. If anyone has hacked it, please speak up.

Butch

By the way, wasn't trying to be krass in my first comment, was just in a hurry.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
here ia a link for the d370.  Try pricescan.com   The lowest prics is $131 with $19.95 shipping.

They also have the S200 for $297

D-370 Sites

(Edited by ArkansasElkHunter at 1:05 pm on May 26, 2002)

Lew

Reaction score
I'm ready to give this a try.  The D370 is on clearance at he local Meijers store for $160.  This may not be the best price available but it seems like a fair price.  Before I commit to buying it, I would like to know if anyone has the modification needed for the camera they could share ??  Hamiltoe is desigining a board with a refresh feature so all I need to know, is how to rewire the camera.   Rough calculation I could have a digital trail camera for around $250.  About twice the amount for a 35mm system but it wouldn't take long to off set the added cost in developing expenses, not to mention the benefit of instant feedback.   Lew

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Db posted them the other day, you may need to do a search. If Hamiltoe can do it, request a 2-2.5 hr refresh. Just set up like a 35mm, and GET RECHARGABLE BATTERYS for the camera. Get a 32 meg card and you can get over 50 shots.

Butch

Pgumby68

Inactive
Reaction score
OK, guys you talked me into getting a D-370. I got a good deal on it, I think, $110. Now where do I go from here. I need modification instuctions and one of Brian's cards to start with. Is there anything else I am going to need? Where do I find modification instructions?

Hey, I just got an offer to buy a slightly used S100 for $150. Should I buy it or should I spend that money on another D-370?

(Edited by Pgumby68 at 12:44 pm on May 26, 2002)

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Mine FINALLY went in the woods about 2 hours ago. Hope I get something decent, as I will HAVE to go switch out cards in it tomarrow afternoon. Really hoping for some nite pics.:roll-eyes-fade-in:

chili

Reaction score
What is the main difference between the S100 and S200?  Which is the best? I can get the S200 for $250 at Circuit City on sale. Is it worth that? Or would it be better spent on a different cam?

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I think the main difference is image resolution, the s200 has a higher resolution. From what I've heard $250 for a S200 sounds like a good deal. I'm not sure if anyone has one wired up yet though??

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
The S200 is basically the same camera as the S100. same 2 megpixal resolution.  The S200 has more photo effects and goes up to ISO 400 compared to ISO 150 for the S100.  $250 is a great deal.  I would say the s200 is better than the s100 but like CB said, I have'nt wired it yet.  Soon though.  

Pgumby68

Inactive
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the Fuji digital cam Radio Shack has on sale now? It's a Fuji Finepix 2.0 mega pixel. Does anyone know anything about it? Can it be modded?

Dbworld

Reaction score
I had gotten a Fuji Finepix and the Olympus Camedia d-370 from Kmart going out of business to attempt to modify for a camera.  

I took the Fuji apart and figured out how to wire it to turn it on and off. (I might have pictures at home...can't remember) I also think the shutter would be pretty easy.  It's on it's own separate board but I couldn't get it out. And wasn't willing to destroy it yet.  So don't know for sure.    After playing and getting frustrated with that one, I started playing with d-370.  This ended up being so simple, that I just put the Fuji back together and sold it on Ebay.  

Top Bottom