Best game camers for under $300

BULL MOOSE

Reaction score
Did you look at the camera comparison chart?

If I were to buy a commericial unit, it would be the non-typical deercam.

MBullism

Reaction score
LOL ******.  I was thinking along the same lines... Knowing now what I didn't know then, I'd go homebrew.  I couldn't afford (or justify affording) a commercial unit.  The homebrews do all I want at a reasonable cost and allow me multiple units on the installment plan.

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
Welcome. I would also agree as to build your own. You could have three for three hundred dollars or a really nice digital with all the cards, reader and battery charger. There is plenty of help here to do it so jump in and have some fun. MC.

My Cam

SCbowhunter

Reaction score
Okay, tell me the best place to start. I hate to drop $100 bucks and have a camera that doesn't function as well as a $200 purchased unit.

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
SCbowhunter,

Welcome to JHP.  This is a wonderful resource for all kinds of information.  

There's tons of information available but I wouls start with two topics at the top of this forum.  A "FAQ" and  "Helpful Links". Inside those two topics are the instructions to wire the different cameras and sensors including a very well illustrated diagram on wiring a Canon Owl with a RS PIR.  It doesn't get much easier with that diagram

ToddP

(Edited by ToddP at 8:15 am on June 18, 2002)

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi SC,
You're AT the best place to start!!  For "newbie" home-brewers, I'd say a Canon OwlPF/Date, MS-20 sensor with Jons low-power modifications, and Brians superb timer board.

If you just have to go "store-bought" - I'd say spend the extra $$ and buy either a Cam-Trakker or Trail-Master (I know, you said UNDER 300$ - but that's my 0.02US$)

Archilochus

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Pelican Case, Brian's, JoeD's, or Hameltoe's timer boards, MS20 or RS PIR, Canon Owl PF. You could even probibly get one of us to wire the stuff & still stay under $300. I'm going to be selling ones like in my post w/ Owl PF's for $240. This has a custom steel enclosure.

JoelM

Reaction score
I have a non typical trail camera that I bought and it works great. I have built 2 and am working on 2 more all work as well as the commercial unit for less. Not only is it cheaper but I really find it interesting. I would have never believe I could make a trail camera. Thanks to all the guys here with the patience and know how. I have been able to do it.

as far as tips do as toddP said and read those topics and keep your first camera simple.
The best advice I can give is bookmark this site and come back often and make sure to ask questions someone here will know the answer.

Good Luck and have fun.

Joel

coyotebandit

Reaction score
Pgumby68,

Wow your not kidding, definately a visitor/member of JHP. Looks like they are using the RS PIR, JoeD timer and OWL PF. It is a pretty nice looking setup though, very clean. Looks pretty close to some of mine, (mine aren't that pretty inside though).

Maybe they are the one's using up all the RS PIR's. I didn't see the price though?

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
"So I put my fourteen years of electronics experience to work and came up with the Tall Tines Game Cam.  "

Same webpage pattern of a certain past member too.  Hmmmmm
:hanged:

If you're going to sell them atleast give credit where credit is due.  I don't have a problem with that.

(Edited by ToddP at 3:16 pm on June 18, 2002)

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
Hey Todd,

That definately looks like one of out "Banned" members.  The page design looks almost exactly like his "home page" used to look.

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
I wonder if the good folks at Highlander will take exception to thier cases being used as competition? They dont mind the homebrewers.... but reselling may cause them to shut down their sales.
JMHO

shufigo

Reaction score
SC, back to your original question, if you don't go homebrew, I'd go Non Typical DC 100. Clean design, easy to use, decent range, good options. Instead of buying list thru Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop, look on EBay. They come up regularly and sell for 210-225.  They're so good, I've had two stolen. Funniest thing, no one steals my homebrews! They'd be getting units that are just as easy to use, but had better range!!

Handcannon

Reaction score
SC, Welcome to the homebrew forum,my first three gamecams were TT Photohunters, why? at the time they were the cheapest I could find,they work good when they were new but they leak, and the flash range is poor. Two quit working and it was going to cost too much to have them repaired.I found this site trying to find info how to maybe fix them.Now they are in a box waiting to be fixed and that's where they will stay for awhile.The cams we make here are much better units than you can buy for three times what you will have invested plus if something goes wrong with it you will most likely be able to fix it.     Sorry to ramble.    Build your own.     Handcannon.

Top Bottom