Best Garmin GPS for hunting ?

Hog slayer

Reaction score
I have been thinking of purchasing another GPS for my hunts. I have an E-trex but the screen is just to small. I would like to here from you on what type of GPS would you purchase. Your advise, concerns and what model.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
If you have a smart phone you can download an app to turn it into a high-end GPS. It's called "Recon Hunt" and it's a Cabela's product. I have it on my Android Razer and used it on my old phone all over Wyoming. It shows every piece of public land, has satellite imagery etc. If you are going to be in an area that has no cell service you simply view the area you wish to hunt the night before and it stores the tiles on your phone for later retrieval. Very cool product.

ltdann

Reaction score
i've got the 60csx, with the color screen. It does everything I need it to do.

On the other hand, apps for the smart phone are pretty damn handy. The reality is that most of the time, cell service is available (depending on carrier) and things like google maps, Recon etc... where you can get aerial pics of your spot (tied to GPS) is a very useful tool.

Pierpont

Reaction score
I also use a 60csx which I am happy with. You guys have me curious about the smartphone apps, do you need cell phone coverage for them to work or does it work off GPS? I frequently hunt where there is no reception.

CA Karen

Reaction score
I have the Garmin 60cx, it does everything that I need.

ltdann

Reaction score
I also use a 60csx which I am happy with. You guys have me curious about the smartphone apps, do you need cell phone coverage for them to work or does it work off GPS? I frequently hunt where there is no reception.
Think of the smartphone as a miniature hand-held computer that uses wifi. Once outside wifi range, it'll use whatevers cached. In the case of smartphone, it's cell reception. If you use google maps to look at aerial photos before you lose cell service, it'll still be in the cache. If in cell range, the smartphone use's gps signal and combines with the app (recon, google maps, etc) to give you real-time locations overlaid on the maps.

It's kinda handy. Do you need it? no. The gps does alot of the same things.

I'd say that 90% of the time, I'm in range of cell service somewhere in my hunting area. I might have to climb up a hill or find an open area, but I can usually find some bars if I need it.

It won't be long before the cell coverage will be good enough, the apps useful enough, that the smartphone will be a must have item in the field.

With the smartphone you can have all the regs/laws on file, the gps maps (aerial and topo), knot guides, e-books, emergency locator beacon, flashlight, social media upload, all available instantly at your finger tips.

When you down a deer, you can have the pic and the story on the internet before the ticks leave the body. It's already happening.

Brush Hunter

Reaction score
I have a rhino 120. The screen is kinda small and it is not very detailed. I gets the job done, but I recomend something a little higher up.

ouch1

Reaction score
It really depends on how much you are willing to spend. I used to work for Magellan & have played with the Garmin Rino devices, and from my experience they are good devices. I especially like being able to link and share locations with friends, and having a built in two way radio. The only issue I have with them was the proprietary battery pack (if you buy ones buy a couple extra battery packs and a car charger). But if you want a Rino I recommend the Rino650 at the bare minimum.

I use a Magellan Triton 2000 and it have much of the same features except that is does not have a built in 2 way radio. But I cannot complain as I got it for free.

One thing I will say is that if you use the NatGeo Topo software you can load either device with fairly high quality topographic maps of where you are going prior to heading out.

-ouch1

Brush Hunter

Reaction score
It really depends on how much you are willing to spend. I used to work for Magellan & have played with the Garmin Rino devices, and from my experience they are good devices. I especially like being able to link and share locations with friends, and having a built in two way radio. The only issue I have with them was the proprietary battery pack (if you buy ones buy a couple extra battery packs and a car charger). But if you want a Rino I recommend the Rino650 at the bare minimum.

I use a Magellan Triton 2000 and it have much of the same features except that is does not have a built in 2 way radio. But I cannot complain as I got it for free.

One thing I will say is that if you use the NatGeo Topo software you can load either device with fairly high quality topographic maps of where you are going prior to heading out.

-ouch1
I also like the syncing to a partner in the field feature. My bro and I used that feature last weekend and it worked great. The radio feature is cool, but the range is just not far enough. We lost radio contact quite often. The partner sync features makes up for that though. Had I known natgeo makes software, I would have bought that over the Garmin software.

bigshot

Reaction score
I just purchased a Garmin Oregon 550t and like it so far, it has a touch screen and very easy to use. It came with the US Topo 100K map already installed. I almost purchased the Garmin Montana 650t, but $650. was too much money to spend this close to the hunting season. My Oregon still cost me around $460.00 after taxes at Best Buy. I also ordered a 25K topo Map from www.HuntingGPSmaps.com for the State of Wyoming and Colorado. Their maps are cool, if you hover over Private Property the owner information is provided. Same goes for Public land as well, kinda cool!! The Recon Hunt app sux!! It never worked when I needed it the most. Even when I got a good signal, the map would not down load.

JFI, the screen on the Montana is 4 inches long!!

Last edited:

quack_head

Reaction score
Cabelas has a sweet deal right now on Oregon by gamin.
Best part of any gps=operators manual

Hog slayer

Reaction score
Well I finally purchased a Garmin GPS. I got the Montanta 650 T. A little over kill but this gps is amazing. More than what I will ever use it for. The maps are amazing. Also easy to down load maps. I really like the large screen since my eye site is not as good as it use to be. Little large for a gps but the large screen sure makes up for the extra weight. Have have already put in a track in which I will be using in Wyoming for a deer hunt. Well see how this GPS works out. I have had it for a month and I have learn quite a bit on it but there is a lot more to know.

Top Bottom