Best method for enclosure details

Stever

Reaction score
Ok I have done a search and found a ton of methods since I have been away and now back I would love an update to the best method for covering the lens hole, flash hole and pir hole.
I have a fresnal lens from Pixcontroller and want to use that as well.
do you put this on inside glass on the outside?
Any thoughts on uv filters, microscope glass, standard glass.
Do you attach this on in or out with marine silicone?
IS flash bleed still big issue? Is foam ring still best solution for this?
I could go with my old methods but an update would be greatly appreciated.
I am using a pellican box, pixcontroller, d395 4- aa battery pack with external switch.
Thanks

Born2huntnVa

Reaction score
Stever,

The fresnal lens needs to be mounted as a stand alone piece. You should not cover the fresnal with glass or place glass behind the fresnal lens. This will prevent the PIR from sensing the heat it needs to trigger the unit. The flash and camera lens holes can be done a number of ways, but I have used 7mm UV lenses to complete the hole and it looks very nice. They are not expensive and you can find them at a number of stores. I bought mine at Best Buys but you may or may not have one in your area. If you have a store that sells cameras or video equipment in your area you might check with them first. If not, you can find them in many web stores online. Ten to twenty dollars is the going range for these UV filters. I would advise you to cut the holes a little bit smaller than the actual size of the filter and then use a medium to fine grit sand paper to reach the desired hole size. I have actually been able to screw the UV lens into the enclosure by doing it this way and it really makes for a nice seal when you are finished.

Hope this helps!

Dave

Coondog

Banned
Reaction score
Stever.. if you are not in a huge hurry, you can get the UV filter for just a couple of dollars off ebay usually.. Just be sure to check the shipping charges...

Stever

Reaction score
A 7 mm uv filter? Not to sound dumb but is that the diameter?
That would be perfect yes we have one here I will go check at best buy.
Steve

Stever

Reaction score
Thanks coondog, I waited to long for the enclosure camera and stuff a couple of extra bucks at this point is not worth the wait, but patience has expired...
Attaching the fresnal, it seems real like real thin plastic, is Marine silicone going to keep it water tight? Whats weveryone using for the camera flash hole? microscope slides ok?

Born2huntnVa

Reaction score
Stever,

I meant to type 27mm but I didn't press the two hard enough.

Sorry! lol

7mm is a very small hole...........................

Sunpak Has one that I have seen for $9.99 while Hoya has them for $29.99

The $9.99 model is perfect for your type of application.

Dave

Stever

Reaction score
That makes more sense! Being canadian and not completely metric I should have picked up on that!
So as the thread goes here is the start of the list

Fresnal must be on inside do not cover with glass

Lens hole cover with a 27 -30 mm uv filter drill hole slightly smaller then screw filter in.

Glue the fresnal and uv filter in with marine goop

the flash hole can be covered with __________ on the inside.

Born2huntnVa

Reaction score
Stever,

Get some stuff called "Marine Goop" and you can't got wrong. It's tough and very waterproof. I use it for a lot of things. It was suggested to me on this site a while back by OBH I think and I have used it ever since. Great stuff.

Dave

pocomoke

Reaction score
Steve most folks here use a 37mm or 30mm filter for the lens opening.I have also used plain glass and I really cannot tell a difference in my pic quality but it looks nicer on the unit.Microscope glass will work but I found that once you cut flash hole that there is not alot of extra room left around edges of case to goop in the glass but if you dont make to big a hole it will be fine.Just goop it up good.On fresnel lens just goop is all I use to hold mine in and never had a problem yet...

Stever

Reaction score
Great tips guys,
Is there any room between the uv filter and the flash on a d395. Looks tight for both to be coverd or does glass go on outside for flash

Coondog

Banned
Reaction score
Stever.. I would not use the 1.5" glass or UV filters for the shutter and the flash.. It will not leave much room to seal off the flash.. I would use a 1.5" for the shutter and a 1" piece for the flash, or 1" for both will work...

Born2huntnVa

Reaction score
Stever,

Pocomoke is right about the camera lens size.

I went back and checked my parts list and I use a 37mm for the camera lens.

Sorry for the confusion.

I have used the 27mm for the flash hole.

Dave

thehunter

Reaction score
The fresnel lens need to line up center to center with the PIR lens. I mark the edge of the lens on the case where I think the center should be located. (I use my laser plumb bob) I next apply a section of double stick tape to the case. The marks on the case can be seen through the double stick tape. I stick the frensel lens on the marks on the case and make a series of walks testing to see what adjusments I need to make. When everything is lined up and working I then goop or caulkseal the lens in place.

Hope this helps alittle.

SSimmons

Reaction score
Do you need to cover the camera lens? My guess is the reason to cover the lens hole is to keep it water tight? But does this cause a problem with condensation if you are air tight? I placed a d-380 in a 1060 pelican case with a rubber gasket on the inside of the lens hole so when I closed the door it made a tight seal around the camera lens. Pictures seem to be find but I am not sure if a filter would add quality or if it's main purpose is for protection?

Coondog

Banned
Reaction score
SSimmons.. The filter is supposed to add some quality to the photo's, but I have never really see a difference.. The main reason I use them is because they look nice and are easy to install.. You need to use some dessicant in the case to fight the humidity and condensation in check...

Stever

Reaction score
The Hunter great tip on lining up the pir with camera, I totally forgot that!

Sorry to sound stupid, the distance from the lens centre to the flash is approx 1 1/8.
so the question is fitting the uv filter or glass over both or one holes
a picture of this would really help

Stever

Reaction score
The following is a list of ideas from this thread on the enclosure techniues in one easy to find spot

Preferred glue for all of these details is Marine Goop http://eclecticproducts.com/

Lens Hole - Use 27-30 mm uv filter drill hole slightly screw and glue in filter

PIR Fresnal lens - glue on inside do not cover with glass
Note:
Pir should be 5/8" away from fresnal lens
Line up PIR with lens (ues plumb bob)
Flash cover use a 1 -1.5" piece of glass seperate from the lens

thehunter

Reaction score

Stever

Reaction score
Nice photos yes that helps alot, don't know why something so simple seemed so confusing
You used glass for the lens hole, if you used a filter you would have screwed that on from the outside?
\
Thanks for the help,
hope next person looking will find this thread...

Top Bottom