Best Northern California Guides as of 2015

Cal_Hawkeye

Reaction score
Hi All, first post here. I’ve come to grips with the fact that I’m going to have to shell out some bucks to do a hog hunt in Northern California. I’d like your recommendations as far as guides go. I’ve read a lot of posts, but a lot of dated info and I’m going to try to give you enough info. about myself to get some customized advice.

I can hunt with hp rifle, shotgun, or muzzleloader; would prefer rifle this time. I grew up hunting deer and antelope in the Midwest and Montana. I went on a few hog hunts in San Diego public land … with great success, but with ticks and not hogs. I’ve done a lot of mountain treks in the last few years and will be in good shape. I’m not wanting to spend a small fortune, but I’m willing to pay for what I get and get what I pay for.

Thanks in advance!

The sort of thing that I would enjoy:
1.Getting out there and covering rough terrain in wild and beautiful country
2.Real hunting, but with a reasonable chance at success if I do my part
4.Having a guide that is willing and able to teach me about hog hunting
6.Cleaning and skinning my own animal, with some guidance (I understand it’s different than deer)
7.Hauling out a big load of meat as the sun goes down
8.Convenient place that will process some of the meat for me

What I would not enjoy:

1.Ugly or “domestic” land or a place where there are other hunters / people
2.Feeling like it’s set up or that I’m shooting an animal on a farm
3.An guide who is overbearing, lazy / out of shape, or unhelpful
4.Hunting an area where there isn’t much chance for success
5.Being lumped in with other hunters (especially if that dictates how /where the hunt goes)

land4cat

Reaction score
With hunting both guided and do it yourself. I would say to contact TOM WILLOUGHBY 831-385-3003. By far the best guide.

motor-vater

Reaction score
Ive hunted with Tom Willoughby before and would say he is better than most guides. He has great access to alot of land and if their are hogs to be killed best believe he will get it done. It is also amazing to watch him dress and skin a hog, takes about 5 minutes with a 2 inch knife...lol That being said I am still waiting to find a guide that actually has taken me on a hide in the bushes and learn the signs kind of hunt. Tom is so good at it he can make it seem to easy...

Wild1

Reaction score
Here's the most important thing: whomever you choose to hire as a guide, make damn sure you are very clear about what you want!! Don't be shy about articulating the points (1-8 and 1-5) you made in your introduction. There a few really good guides, but even if thy are, the HUNT itself may not be what you wanted. Maybe you don't want to sit at the edge of a barley field or a vineyard waiting for a hog to show up - but the guide may not know that. Be clear and concise, and don't hesitate to double check before you book. Good luck!

Top Bottom