Best part of Turkey hunting

deadducks

Reaction score
During this years Turkey hunting what was your most memerable experience?  Mine.  I was hunting Love Valley and on my way hiking in I could hear a couple birds.  One gobble and the other a hen talking.  I was excited.  First year hunting these birds.  I never saw either of them birds but I did see 2 does about 30 yards away, 1 coyote about 40 yards and a nice looking Bobcat about 30 pounds and approximately 75 yards out.  Cant beat the outdoors.  Good luck out there, and I can't wait to start shooting the great grey ghosts.

Welby

Reaction score
Most memorable experience this year?  Aside from the wonderful sights and amazing smells of the springtime woods, my best time was hunting with my brothers opening weekend and paddling away from that public hunting land with them and a 21-1/2 lb trophy tom.

Also, when I first glanced down at the spurs on the gobbler I killed the day before season ended.  "OH MY GOSH!!  THOSE ARE OVER AN INCH LONG!!!"

Don

Reaction score
My most memorable moment was when I shot my first bird after three years of hunting.  Took him at 8:05 in the morning and he weighed 14 lbs.  The memory of the hunt is etched in my mind forever.

mudhen

Reaction score
I thought the best part was a tom I shot in Sonoma County 4-6-02.  We had been working two toms for about a 1/2 hour when an interloping tom moved in and walked up to 35 yards.  I had never seen a tom that large in the wild.  He was pretty wary - standing behind trees etc. - but he finally walked out in the open where I made the shot.  He was 24.8 lbs - 9 3/4" beard - 1" spurs.  The tom of a lifetime - right?

Well no - five days later - in Eastern Kansas - I was cutting & running with a buddy - but the birds were not really responding.  At 9:30 we got busted by three toms that ran up to us before we could get set up.  We flanked them and got above them hoping to intercept.  Well - what we intercepted was a very large tom that was in the mood.  This big tom worked his strut zone for 15 minutes not 30 yards from our set up - but I couldn't get a clear shot through two barbed wire fences and numerous bushes.  He would stop just short of an opening - and then turn his displayed back to us - this offered no shot.  What we needed was a miracle - and that's what we got.  A hen walked up and stood between the tom and us - she was maybe 10 feet away.  The tom moved out into a small opening to have a look - but he was still in full strut so I didn't have a clear shot.  I didn't want to putt and alarm the hen - so we just sat there motionless.  I had the bead right on the tom, safety off - but no clear head shot.  We needed help and the hen obliged.  She putted - the tom's softball sized head popped up - I squeezed the 3.5# trigger on my Angleport Browning Gold 3.5" - the gun goes boom - the tom drops dead as a doornail - no wing flapping - no movement at all.  I was stunned.  I have dropped many toms pretty dead - but never quite like this.  

He weighed 25.78 lbs - 11 3/4" beard - with 1.5" spurs.  I thought this was adequate for my first Eastern tom!

mudhen-CA

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
My most memorable moment this year was taking my dad out turkey hunting on opening day for his first spring gobbler hunt. I called two longbeards into gun range, but due to those unforseen things that happen in the turkey woods, he was unable to get a shot. Later in the morning, I got a nice gobbler, and it was great having him with me to share the thrill. Even though he didn't get a bird, he had a great time, and God willing, he will surely be back out next year.

Rattler

Reaction score
My most memorable event this season was taking a first-timer buddy of mine. After scouting the area and not seeing any clear sign... he was hopeful, but, I could see considerable doubt in his eyes as far as our spot producing.  10 minutes after legal I put out a couple of tree yelps and a fly down and BAM!  Ol' Tom (Later named "Hannibal") let out  a gobble 75 yards out that "shook" the canyon.  Right then I knew he was hooked.  We did not get Ol Hannibal this year but he can't wait til next year.

killinturks

Reaction score
Bob, i got to do the first time thing with my dad this year too. its pretty cool being able to turn your dad onto something you have enjoyed. most people i know learned to hunt from their dads but mine started  deer hunting the same time as me so neither one of us knew what was up. he didnt get into turks for some reason though.

Lankyman

Reaction score
Deadducks,

This was a great year.  I didn't get to the woods as much as I wanted too, but I guess that just comes with the terriory when you work at a CPA firm & the SC season is the month of April.  I didn't get out too much until after April 16th.  Of all of the awesome experiences this year, I am most proud of the gobbler that I was able to call in for my brother.  It was the first time that we have been shoulder-to-shoulder at the same tree when one of us connected on a bird.  It is an awesome memory that I'll always cherish.

Another memory was the first gobbler fight that I have ever witnessed happened this year.  Those birds went at it for almost 15 minutes.  It was awesome to be within 70 yards of them when they went at it.  I had the boss gobbler & a subordinate crossing in front of me at 45 yards but I didn't have a clear shot.  I figured that they would see the decoys & come on in, but they went on aorund the ridge 40 yards & started fighting with 2 other birds that glidded in at daylight.  It was a good year for me.  Here is my brother's bird:

Ain't he purdy!!!!!!!!!!!!!  LOL!!!  The legend of "The Creme Pies" continues.

Tominator

Reaction score
Is there not somewhere that I can go without having to see that picture?!?! Mine would have to be calling 5 longbeards into gun range at one time with my son and wife there to witness it. My least memorable was the same hunt when my son (5 yrs old) had to tell me about the 2 toms 25 yds away just staring at us then having them go behind a tree for about 30 seconds but I thought they were jakes since they were facing me before and I couldn't see their beards. When they came out from behind the tree I saw that both had beards about 8-9" and it was too late. I never did get a shot but it was an awesome hunt!
Tominator

killinturks

Reaction score
say, whats wrong with that fine picture. one thing that was pretty good this year was finding out saturday that i didnt shoot the whole beard off my turkey,cause its not legal here without one. iwoulda had to pick up the pieces and take them in with me.

FTTPOW

Reaction score
A good time away from work, good food, good weather, good companionship, good hunting. Good grief, I can't wait til next year?  Did I mention good food?

Rusty Fan

Reaction score
It's a goodun' AIN'T IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

:biggergrin:

:smiley-thumbs-up:

:7-bouncin:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom