BEST PIR

coyotehunters

Reaction score
I have built 3 cams using the rs pir.I am starting to work on #4 and was thinking of trying a different pir.the rs pirs seem to be working fine but i see all of the pictures on this site showing different pirs being used.Am i missing anything by staying with the rs pir.I see more ms20s than anything why is this.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I almost hesitate to post about this because in the past, we practically got into fights on this forum, debating between the 2 main PIR's (the RS vs the MS20)    (really)  :eat-burger:

All of the cam's I've built have the MS20 PIR but I have experimented with the RS lately.

Altho they burn more energy than the RS PIR, a 6v lantern battery last 5 or 6 months so I don't see that as a problem.

Another reason is $9  vs   $25 (or is it $29) for the RS model

I have no problems with Mounting or Modifications on the MS20, but there's a few more things to do with it compared to the RS (mods)

The MS20 is designed to be outside (on a Flood Light) but I don't really think there is a diff between the 2 in regards to this.

The MS20 is much more sensitive than the RS, some see this as a Detriment tho.....I don't, I think it's a plus

I can't think of any other comments but bet I left out something.  I did a report on both the RS and MS20 (more than one on the MS20 I think) you might do a search for, if you didnt see um.

I'd like to see the Lamson and X10 PIR's someday, they look interesting

Tinhorn

Gator

Reaction score
I can't say which one is the best because I have only tried the Lamson.  But I have no complaints with it at all.  It costs about the same as the RS pir and uses very little power. I have had the same 9v battery in one of mine for 3 months and still going strong. The thing I like the best is that it can be used right out of the box no modifications necessary, unless you want to change it from a 1 min delay.

sven

Reaction score
The RS unit is easier to modify than the MS20 unit.  I think that is one of it's biggest draws for newcomers.  The MS20 has been in use for a lot longer time than the RS so you are going to see a lot more cams using it.  

I built my first 2 cams with the RS unit for 2 reasons.  1) the ability to use the 9V battery instead of the larger lantern batteries or multiple batteries needed by the MS20.  2) the ease of modification.  It's been a few years since I had messed with any circuit board electronics.  This was the easiest method to build a cam at the time.

Currently I'm building a couple more cams using Hamiltoe's board.  His board offers an all-in-one package.  Pir, timer, and trigger.  I have one board soldered up, and have just started assembling the second one.  

Back to the original question, I don't think any one is better than the other.  Some may argue technical specs, but they all seem to do the intended function well.  They just come in differnt packaging.

davered1

Reaction score
Although I have used the MS20,RS and the Lamson I have found I like the RS for one reason. It only triggers out to 30' usually. Most cameras can'tge ta pic at night past that anyway.

Although there was a post just a day or so ago that the MS20 with proper fresnal spacing can be limited to 30' so what can I say.

Use them all it's more fun knowing you have built one of all the cams anyways

:im-with-stupid:

Possum

Reaction score
He He LOL! Here we go again.  I have both.  The RS and MS20.  I like them both.  Both have pluses and negatives.  I will tell you this.  My RS runs on a 9v battery.  When I leave it 2 hours away for a month, I know the battery is dead when I get back.  That's around $2.50 x 12.=$30.  Now I have the Ms20 modified for a 6v lantern battery.  Lifespan 5-6 months.  $6.00 x 2. = $12.  I like the ms20.  I'm sure (and think Tinhorn might have) you can put the 6v on the RS PIR, but I haven't tried.  Both are good.  Long live the flashing Homebrewers!

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Flashing HomeBrewers,  I like that Name......

kc

Reaction score
Possum,

How did you wire your RS pir?  I run mine and a Tinhorn timer off the same 9v battery.  After a month, a new battery is down to 7.5-8v, but it still works.

GregA

Reaction score
What about the AmerTac? Has anyone tried it? I have used the RS and I've now started using the AmerTac from Wal-mart ($12). It is very easy to set up and works great, so far. I like the built in dc adapter for powering the unit with 4-C batteries.

BULL MOOSE

Reaction score
What is the Ameritac? This is the first that I have heard of it. Is it more like the MS20 or the RS?

GWHunter

Reaction score
Welcome to the board GregA!

Are you using the OWL PF and have you tested the maximum range of the Amertac?

Possum

Reaction score
kc, I wired it just like Jesses page said.  I guess I should have clarified myself a little more.  After 25-30 days I replace the 9v battery anyway because I am so far away.  I don't take a chance of it running completely out.  Both are great units no matter what you choose.  After wanting one for years and then getting three in one year - hey, I'm not complaining.  Then there is all the tech support.  
By the way, I followed Tinhorn's wiring diagram for the MS20 on the second one and took out all the parts he says to. The first one I left some of these in.  The parts are used when the unit is working off of 120v.  The second pulled a lot less juice than the first one did.  However, with the 6v battery amperage it wasn't worth going back in and fixing the first one.  It still works fine.

GregA

Reaction score
Thanks GWHunter. Yes, I am using the OWL PF. I'm not sure on the maximum range. I've tested it to about 20'.

The Amertac is a closet/garage light that has a built in daylight sensor. I just clip the light sensor off and use the power for the light to run the relay. It has a 30 second run time and wiring it up is like wiring up the RS at the speaker output.

homer

Reaction score
GregA, What relay and batterys are you using?     Thanks Homer

sven

Reaction score
The Ameritac is something new that Walmart is carrying.  It should be located in the same isle as the MS20.  I looked at on briefly just out of curiosity the other day.  Like Greg said, it's a light with a pir meant for use in a closet, hallway, garage, etc.  It's uses C batteries, either 4 or 6, I don't remember.  This looked like a very good setup for use with a cam.  A creative person could probably stick a camera in the existing housing if they really wanted to.

GregA

Reaction score
It actually has a built in holder for 4 AA's. I'm using 4 C's with a 5V reed relay. It has a plug in for a power adapter (5.5x2.5) that I'm using. I pulled the board out and tossed the housing. I still use the built in frame for a fixed distance to the fresnal lense.

Top Bottom