Best reading

smokin54

Reaction score
Whats your favorite hunting/fishing magazines or books?
I enjoy many of the books written on African big game hunting of the past and the comedy writing of Pat McManus .

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
Smokin54:  Welcome to Jesse's.  You've found a great reading and socializing place.  I seem to spend a lot more time reading here than any magazine or book.  But, I do like to read a lot, especially about hunting.  As to magazines/publications I probably have read Western outdoor news the longest.  I also get Petersons Hunting and Calif. Game and Fish. And, whatever gun magazine has the best deal at the time, Shooting Times, Guns and Ammo, Guns.  When it comes to hunting/shooting books I have 3 favorite authors in this order, Robert Ruark, Peter Hathaway Capstick, and Elmer Keith. Of course there's other good authors like John Taffin, Skeeter Skelton, and others.  

RIFLEMAN

Reaction score
    As a houndhunter, much of my reading is geared towards hound-related pursuits.  I currently subscribe to Full Cry, American Cooner, Coonhound Bloodlines and Bayed Solid magazines.
    I will also read Guns and Ammo, Outdoor Life and American Hunter when I have the time.  
    I remember reading a lot of Jim Kjelgard (sp) books when I was younger.  He wrote  a lot of fiction relating to various types of hunting dogs.

Rimrock

Reaction score
For quail stories I have always liked Havaleah Babcock. For Alaska and the far north, Russell Anadell (or it may be Anadell Russel) had a great way of story telling. For Africa, Peter Hathaway Capstick. For just enjoyable rreading that the working man could relate to, Ted Trueblood.

Now I've dated myself.

Play fair.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom