BEST ROUND FOR VARMINTS?

jdhowe75

Reaction score
I would like to get into varmint hunting and have found a few guys that are willing to take out a newby.

Here is the question: In my safe is a 30-06, 35 Rem, and a 7.62X54. Will any of these rounds work on coyote / bobcat / badger / fox etc. without being overkill?

Part II: IF I can talk my wife into making another addition to the family, which would you choose 223, 222, 22-250, 243? And Why?

Thanks,
-jd

smallblockfuelie

Reaction score
JD,

If you want to add, the .223 is a great round that is very readily available and doesn't break the bank to shoot.

Weasel

Reaction score
What you have now will kill 'em dead'r than dead, but is overkill. If you're not saving fur it doesn't really matter. For a number of years I used a .270 Win loaded with 90 grain hollow points. It tore 'em up. Out of your "want" list, any of those calibers would be a better choice, but I'd stay with the 22 calibers since you already have calibers for larger animals. The 223 or 22-250 would be my choices. I shoot a 22-250 now and it's all I could ever hope for.

birdhunter88

Reaction score
I use a .243 in a Federal Sierra Gameking 85 gr HPBT..... Super Fast and Flat and hits like a F16.... of course it does leave a big RED spot. Oh Well !

MEF

Reaction score
Yes, any of your current arsenal would be overkill. But dead is dead. It sounds like you need to get a .223 bolt action rifle. Ammo is available everywhere and in many different loads. Then, after you get used to varminting and if you really get the bug go get a 22-250 or a 220 Swift and extend your range a bit. Then, you're gonna want bigger scopes, bipods, bench rests, spotting scopes, reloaders, etc!! It's quite a disease! Have fun!
Mike

onecoyote

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
The newer modern day predator hunter and I'm talking after the 70s, seem to prefer the 223 and why I don't know. The 223 is a medium range caliber, nothing more then a 222 mag. It kills coyotes alright, but not consistently at longer rangers. Calibers like the 22-250, 220 swift and the 243 well out shoot a 223 any day of the week at longer ranges and when it comes to killing predators. Yes I hear stories of lucky shots and stories of emmm, lets just say younger fellas that kill coyotes all the time at 400, 600 and 800 yards with the 223....Psssstttt, how many of you can even see a coyote at 800 yards? The above should tell you what the better predator hunting calibers are. But if you're like almost all the predator hunters I know, most shots on coyotes, fox and bobcats are less then a 100 yards, so a 223 well work just fine lol.

BDOG

Reaction score
Sorry Onecoyote My nod goes to the 243. It bucks the wind and even punches them when they are standinding behind a branch or bush or just way the heck out there. I do like it. If you reload it won't break the bank either.BDOG

smallblockfuelie

Reaction score
JD,

The .243 is a good round, but I would question how badly it will tear up a fox. If you want the pelts you should ask around and see how fur friendly it is on those little guys.

birdhunter88

Reaction score
If you want to save the pelts then just move down to a 55 or 58 gr shell. But the 85 gr HPBT is alot more fun. Reach out and touch em....with a great big slap !

huntducks

Reaction score
JD75

No ax to grind for any of the guns above as I have a 22-250, 225win, 220 swift, and a 223, I also have a 243 and it would be my choice it would fill the bill for Varmits and you could also use it as a nice lite deer rifle, my 243 will shoot 55gr sierra blitz with great accuracy, and when I want to hunt BG the 100gr Nosler has taken several pigs and deer, one pig that went 190lb.

bayedsolid

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Nobody likes a shotgun???? Yea, me neither, but if you are after pelts then the shotgun is the only way to go. I guess it depends on how much you care about having good quality pelts at the end of the day. I shoot a .22-250 and don't really care what happens on coyotes, beyond dead anyway, but when you have a giant bobcat with a prime pelt pop up in January and you tube skin him with the rifle......it really sucks. With a shotgun or something small like a .22 mag, you lose the chance to shoot on a few critters that you could have busted with a centerfire .22, but the quality of the hides from the critters that you do kill more than makes up for it. If you shoot something small, like a fox, with anything but a small round or shotgun there is going to be major damage so you might as well just use the .06 unless you want to have a varmint round......and who doesn't right?

onecoyote

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
BDOG, If you noticed I did mention the 243, it's probably one of the best but it is NOT pelt friendly lol. Bayedsolid, I'm all for 12 gages, 3" mags and # 4 shot at close range, killed alot of predators that way.

huntducks

Reaction score
243 speer makes 90 gr FMJ and that would be my choice for a pelt saver.

tawnoper

Reaction score
I've always had a soft spot for the Swift. It is my first choice for Coyote hunting. Shoots flat and usually anchors an animal. It can be a little much for Bobcats though and isn't what I'd choose for fox hunting. That said, I've also used the 223 a lot. It is also a great round for called animals.

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I pick...... All of them...

Actually, I agree with onecoyote completely... The 22-250 is probably my favorite yote caliber, especially after I had mine customized recently. It will rock them like thor....at any distance. The 243 is even better....

HOWEVER, I keep bragging about the 223 and with good reason. As Danny stated most yotes are killed up close, under 100 yds most times. A few a little further and out to 275 yards or there abouts is all you'll ever need.

Warning: The 22-250 & 243 are short on barrel life (maybe 3,000 rounds). The 223 around 10,000 and ammo is cheap, factory or handloads.

Bottom line? Flip a coin I guess. You will not go wrong with any.

Happy Hunting

Latest Posts

Top Bottom