Best seed for Dove?

orchardhills

Reaction score
I hunt dove on approx. 200+ acres of oranges.  Luckily for us there is an empty 5 acres that is high in salt content and oranges won't grow there.  We bought 25 pounds of "dove seed" and planted it. So far it has sprouted but nothing to be proud of. We were wondering what is the best seed to plant in order to keep the dove in good number. Also when is the best time to plant?

Marty

Reaction score
Plant the center area with a millet grass.  Or any other with a good seed.  Edge open sides of the parcel with a tall border plant like sunflower.  

orchardhills

Reaction score
Thanks Marty. I'll give it a shot. Does it matter at what time of the year we plant? As it is right now the dove look to be in good number.

Thanks again.

Marty

Reaction score
While I've done a fair shake of yard and orchard work, I'm no tried and true farm hand. So I refer to others when good advice is needed.  

Here's a planting tip from Cooper Seed:

Plant in harrowed none weedy fields, then drag with a log or a piece of chain-link fence. Plant after danger of frost at a depth of 1/2 to 1 inch. Start mowing strips the first week of August and every week until dove season. Doves love bare ground with seeds.
http://www.cooperseeds.com/wildlife.php3?cat=4

Marty

Reaction score
No. Baiting is the laying out of seed or attractant for the sole purpose of drawing in game.  
Growing and furrowing a field on land that is already used for agricultural purposes is providing habitat and a food source.  

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Melons are a great draw.  Although it's too late for this year, next year should be good.  Sunflowers are a good bet as well.

Regards,
Paul

orchardhills

Reaction score
grizz
I don't feel that I am baiting. The land is still getting water from some of the old pipes that are there. Its not much but enought to grow weeds and a few very small orange trees. I also am not tossing seed during the season. That I would consider baiting. I do try my best to get the seed to grow. I turn the soil with a shovel (which is fairly hard), spread seed with a generic ferilizer spreader, go back over the soil with a rake, then have a cold one. I have seen many squirrels and sparrows chomping on the seed. If this is baiting I am doing something wrong.

Oh yeah I went out and bought some sunflower seed and millet. Lets hope it grows. Watering season is in full effect right now.
Thanks very much for your help Marty and Hogskin.

grizz

Reaction score
orchardhills, I never said you were baiting.  And I see no problem with planting food for wildlife.  Than if you get some benift from that fine.  What I said sounds like baiting, is growing say millet, then starting in Aug. mow some every week til the season starts.  Might as well just go out each week and throw seed on the gound (baiting).

Top Bottom