Best Shell Jacket

Sigma

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

It's time I start looking for a new camo shell that is lightweight, waterproof and windproof for this year. Last year I had Cabelas High Country Super Shell Jacket - was not at all pleased and ended up returning it. The hood was great, but I got caught in some rain and was completely soaked thru in about 3 hours.

What do you guys like for a good shell for layering, and do you prefer insulated or non-insulated?

huntin geek

Reaction score
i have not had very much experiance in this department but i can tell you that i hate my mad dog shell,it leaks on the arms and back.it also doesnt breath most of the time i get wetr from my sweet then the rain.im going to buy the sitka dp coat or the rivers west outlaw in a few weeks

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I just use rain gear as my "shell." Take your pick. Hard to beat the Sitka Downpour series.

Sigma

Reaction score
Thanks, SD. Checked out the Sitka gear. I guess the going pattern is Mothwing's "Mountain Mimicry". What makes it so expensive? Is this the best stuff out there?

SDHNTR

Reaction score
You basically answered your own question. It is the best out there IMO. It was tested to withstand 30 feet of rain in 24hrs! It's also lightweight and more breathable than other types of rain gear out there. IMO, for waterproofness, it's the next best thing to pvc, yet without the weight and inability to breathe.

Sigma

Reaction score
Thanks. Where's the best place to purchase online?

SDHNTR

Reaction score
If you wear some of the common sizes you may have a tough time finding 2007 inventory left. 2008 gear should be on shelves soon. Try Schnees, Cableas, mountain archery, 3 rivers, etc.

I'd check with your local bow shop first though. Where do you live?

Sigma

Reaction score
I'm in HB. Probably will wait till the 2008 stuff comes in and maybe in MAX-1 camo. I don't need it that fast....

barel74

Reaction score
I'm sure that sitka stuff is great,,,,it better be, costs more than some of my rifles. Any ideas on a shell that does'nt cost $200.00+ ? I just can't get myself to spend $200 on a shell, and to tell you the truth, I don't understand how any of you can either..... it's just a shell.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
A shell that can save your life. My time in the woods is too improtant to risk on anything but the best. Furthermore when I'm in the backcountry, it can literally be a life or death situation. Good rain geat can keep you from getting wet. Staying dry can keep you alive. I'm not saying you have to buy one brand over another, just don't skimp on something like rain gear.

DanV

Reaction score
I've got a waterproof shell made by Columbia , not sure of model name ! A soft fleece type material ( silent ) with a hood , I've been in moderate to heavy rain for hours and been dry as can be . Can't beat the LIFETIME guarantee and the customer service that backs up that guarantee no questions asked . I returned a 20 yo duck hunting parka to see if it could be resealed ( Gortex ) and since it was out of production they sent me an updated model with my approval , gave me a size larger and my choice of camo pattern . Customer service beyond excellence !!!

barel74

Reaction score
well SD, If I die from using a shell that costs half the price, you can tell me "I told you so", till then I'll work with something a little less, that works good enough for me. I'm not knocking the Sitka gear, I'm sure it's great, as I said in my first post, I just can't afford that stuff.

suavegato

Reaction score
There are plenty "happy mediums" out there... a compromise of price and quality. If you were rich or hunted for a living etc. then I'm sure you would want the best that money could buy but I'm with you, I get the best that I can afford that will do the job. And as you said, not knocking Sitka, just not in my budget range either... if I could afford it, I probably would get it though.

The way I see it with "most" things is there is a curve that pretty closely follows price & quality but once you get past a certain point, the gap starts to narrow... I.E. Say a Columbia shell costs $100 and the Sitka shell is $200, how much "more" do you get for that extra $100? maybe 1%? 5%? 10% maybe? So you reach diminishing returns at some point (assuming money IS an object). I.E. the difference in quality between a $50 shell & $100 shell is going to be SIGNIFICANTLY wider than the difference between a $150 shell & a $200 shell, but even an el’cheapo is still better than a cotton sweat shirt!

Anyway, there are plenty of good choices out there that will suit you well for a reasonable price to fit your budget... When you hit the lottery, you can buy us all some Sitka, LOL!

JMHO
YMMV

brave52000

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Cabelas gear! While I certainly agree that Sitka makes top notch gear, I feel for the price and quality many of Cabelas branded garments cannot be beat. I recently purchased a set of Revolution Fleece, and after wearing it a few times, decided it was too heavy. I returned it for a full refund and later settled on a set of their Rain Suede. This garment is more of a "shell" type garment, and thus far I have been more than pleased with it. It is fairly lightweight, breathable, quite, and packable. While it will not pack as small as say their Space Rain garment, it packs up just as small as any jacket and pants that are designed to be used for more situations besides rain.

ksberry209

Reaction score
I always hike with a heavy duty rain poncho from REI I bought years ago. Been in rain, sleet, and snow and it kept me dry for 5 bucks!

JNDEER

Reaction score
the sitka stuff looks and gets great reviews.....but if you are looking for something less i picked up a Team Realtree APG Gortex jacket (light) for $100 and it has worked well for me...had it out last season in pouring rain for about hour and a half and it kept me dry no problem....i got it from sportsmans warehouse on sale...also just recently picked up the gortex pants in apg (lightweight and have worked well so far during turkey season)......can't go into the woods not matching

Beerswimmer

Reaction score
Living in Kodiak makes you an expert really fast on what good clothes are. I'm really happy with my HellyHanson jacket. Doesn't absorb water or leak, weighs very little, and packs into it's pocket the size of a wallet. It's what I wore since September everyday, and it's what I'll be bringing on my sheep hunt this fall.

huntin geek

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Beerswimmer @ Apr 8 2008, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Living in Kodiak makes you an expert really fast on what good clothes are. I'm really happy with my HellyHanson jacket. Doesn't absorb water or leak, weighs very little, and packs into it's pocket the size of a wallet. It's what I wore since September everyday, and it's what I'll be bringing on my sheep hunt this fall.[/b]

which hellyhanson jacket do you have,and do you know if its a better jacket than the sitka stuff ?

Beerswimmer

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (huntin geek @ Apr 8 2008, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Beerswimmer @ Apr 8 2008, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Living in Kodiak makes you an expert really fast on what good clothes are. I'm really happy with my HellyHanson jacket. Doesn't absorb water or leak, weighs very little, and packs into it's pocket the size of a wallet. It's what I wore since September everyday, and it's what I'll be bringing on my sheep hunt this fall.[/b]

which hellyhanson jacket do you have,and do you know if its a better jacket than the sitka stuff ?
[/b][/quote]

It's the packable model, but it's the 2006 version. It's a really nice olive, and I wore it bear hunting last fall and my buddy said that it blended really well and he had a hard time finding me in it. So II'm not too worried that it's not camo. If anything I could hit it with a rattle can.

I've never tried any Sitka stuff. Haven't seen it here or any of the other places I've flown to.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom