best video camera

russd

Reaction score
wondering what is the best bang for the buck here in video camcorders. i would like to use the pixcontroller board if that makes a difference. coues7 helped me build one with a p-32 and a pixcontroller, now i am hooked. thanks for any help. russd

Muddy Z

Reaction score
Hey video guys help us out here.

I know that with the digitals there are like a million cams that will work with pix's board, but because of various reasons (batt life, flash distance, cam size, etc) most of us choose only a few models. I am guessing the video cams are the same way right?

Any insight with what video cams work best (or those that don't) from experience would be awesome!

Thanks.

TexasBrad

Reaction score
russd and MuddyZ,

I do not think any are heads and shoulders over the rest.

Basically there are two requirements, a LANC port and able to capture IR(if you want IR).

I personally would buy the cheapest camera possible that meets the above requirements. For me I like any of the Sony TR and TRV models, TR517, trv37, trv57, trv67 etc.. You can usually pick up any of these for around 100-125 dollars on ebay.

As far as battery life goes, The video cam operates in the same on off fashion as the p32 so battery life is a big issue. A 550 battery will outlast any tape in any of the cameras I mentioned.

As far as being receptive to IR light, some cameras may be slightly more sensative than others, but the brighter the source the brighter the image so choose the brightest LED, bulb or whatever light source you choose but keep in mind battery usage. I personally think the the lighting method is more complicated than the camera selection and set-up.

The Pixcontroller is a great board and a good choice!

Hope this helps.

TexasBrad

Muddy Z

Reaction score
Brad,

Thanks for the help. I have learned enough to be dangerous and I don't want to go off half cocked buying up ebay cams that may work, but not as good as possible.

Thanks!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom