Bible is America's favorite book

masonjarlid

Reaction score
NEW YORK (Reuters Life!) - When it comes to literary pursuits in the United States most people agree on at least one thing -- the most popular book is the Bible, according to a new survey.

"Finally, they may not agree on candidates, but one thing that brings together partisans is their favorite book. For Republicans, Democrats and Independents, the top two books are the same -- the Bible followed by "Gone With the Wind."

Bible is America's favorite book

easymoney

Reaction score
I thought "an inconvenient truth" was... Or was it playboy?

Sodhunter

Reaction score
The greatest piece of work ever penned and they are not allowed to study it in school. Contains more wisdom than all other books combined and they want to shield children from it.

Dingo Dog

Reaction score
It's sad to think that this country and our education system were founded on Christian values and look where we ar now. The more God is taken out of our society the worse it's going to get for us all. We were a blessed country for a reason not just by chance!

1fitspirit

Reaction score
It is a parent's responsibility to instill religion, morals and values in their children, not some governmental agency. Do you REALLY want to go down that road? Think about how that could turn out, given that Christians don't agree on everything. How do you define the curriculum? If you do allow Bible study in public schools, then the study of other religious texts would have to be OK also. The Constitution is clear on the separation of Church and State. We are a nation that is predominately Christian, but not a Christian nation by definition.

rcrosby

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sodhunter @ Apr 9 2008, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The greatest piece of work ever penned and they are not allowed to study it in school. Contains more wisdom than all other books combined and they want to shield children from it.[/b]
A simple solution to that: END PUBLIC SCHOOLING.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
The simple truth about this Nation is the freedom to think.
You can believe whatever you want to believe. Do whatever you want to do. And say whatever you want to say.
Lets keep the Bible thumping out of the schools.
If you do not want your child in Public School. That is your choice.
There should not be one single belief injected into this society and it's schools.
People need to be allowed to think freely.

Choice. Now that's an interesting concept.

Freedom of choice.

rcrosby

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tmoniz @ Apr 9 2008, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The simple truth about this Nation is the freedom to think.
You can believe whatever you want to believe. Do whatever you want to do. And say whatever you want to say.
If you do not want your child in Public School. That is your choice.
There should not be one single belief injected into this society and it's schools.
People need to be allowed to think freely.

Freedom of choice.[/b]
Ahhh haaahhhh. Are you sure about that? Here is a quote from Justice H. Walter Croskey regarding the recent home schooling case in CA and the ensuing chaos that would incur by, ""allowing every person to make his own standards on matters of conduct in which society as a whole has important interests." So what this red diaper doper baby thug Justice Croskey has just said is that society and the courts cant allow anyone any choices when those choices have impact on society. What a crock of crap.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
It is a crock RC.
And Croskey is an idiot.
Never looked at the stats.
Just formed an uneducated opinion.
It will be interesting if his opinion stands and the State follows suit.

But that's not the issue. The issue is bringing Christian study into the public schools.
Which I oppose.
And will never happen.
That is a personal and private matter up to each and every parent.

rcrosby

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tmoniz @ Apr 9 2008, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
But that's not the issue. The issue is bringing Christian study into the public schools.
Which I oppose.
And will never happen.
That is a personal and private matter up to each and every parent.[/b]
You are right and I agree with you. I would rather my children learn religion at home and at church and definetely not have to have the Koran and other garbage shoved down their throats. Which will be what naturally follows if religion becomes part of education.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
When I got out of the Military RC. And went back to College.
I came into contact with quite a bit of Ancient Text.
It's not garbage by any means.
It's informative and enlightening.

The issue with religion and the text regarding it, is interpretation.

I have long conversations with my boys about many things.
My youngest is 21.
I wasn't what I would consider a very good Dad.
I was too busy trying to make a living and provide.

But one thing I did do. Was instill in them kindness, thoughtfullness, and a respect for others and what others believe.

rcrosby

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tmoniz @ Apr 9 2008, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I wasn't what I would consider a very good Dad.
I was too busy trying to make a living and provide.[/b]
I would consider that to be a good Dad.

Mntngoat

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tmoniz @ Apr 9 2008, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If you do not want your child in Public School. That is your choice..

Freedom of choice.[/b]

Then can I also decide if I want my tax dollars being spent on a public school system, that I have chosen to not be a part of. seems like I don't have much of a choice there

ML

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
Mntngoat.

I'm only speaking in general terms. I don't have an answer for you.
When it comes to taxes and politics I'm dummer than a box of rocks.
I don't fret over every little aspect of living.
I just deal with the things that matter.
And then move on.

Common Sense

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1fitspirit @ Apr 9 2008, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It is a parent's responsibility to instill religion, morals and values in their children, not some governmental agency.[/b]

I must say that I agree with you. So do all liberals oppose sex ed, Planned Parenthood, and PETA in the public schools? (Or do they just cherry-pick issues, like Christainity, to be kept out of the schools?)

1fitspirit

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Common Sense @ Apr 9 2008, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1fitspirit @ Apr 9 2008, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is a parent's responsibility to instill religion, morals and values in their children, not some governmental agency.[/b]

I must say that I agree with you. So do all liberals oppose sex ed, Planned Parenthood, and PETA in the public schools? (Or do they just cherry-pick issues, like Christainity, to be kept out of the schools?)
[/b][/quote]
I thought Conservatives were the original cherry pickers. Isn't that why the Feds raided that place in Texas this week?

I know I'm gonna get hammered for that, but it was too good to resist.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
CS.
All religious teaching must be kept out of the public schools.
I don't know how PETA would factor in.
I don't think that will happen either.
Christianity isn't the only religion in this world.
And many people in this Country are not Christian.
But they believe in God.
Or some form of a God.

The separation of church and state is very clear.
There is a very clear reason for that.
And what's all this Lib stuff.

masonjarlid

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1fitspirit @ Apr 9 2008, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Common Sense @ Apr 9 2008, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1fitspirit @ Apr 9 2008, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
I thought Conservatives were the original cherry pickers. Isn't that why the Feds raided that place in Texas this week?

I know I'm gonna get hammered for that, but it was too good to resist.

[/b][/quote]

Kind of like the raid on Waco during the Clinton era?? At least no one died this time. Then there is that whole Ruby Ridge thing.

Bullfrog 31581

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>

I know I'm gonna get hammered for that, but it was too good to resist.[/b]
Considering that those people apparently thought that its ok for teenagers to be having sex, I would say that they were liberals.

masonjarlid

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullfrog 31581 @ Apr 9 2008, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE

I know I'm gonna get hammered for that, but it was too good to resist.[/b]
Considering that those people apparently thought that its ok for teenagers to be having sex, I would say that they were liberals.
[/b][/quote]

Do not forget they were allowed to have mutiple wives. I have a hard enough time with one wife, I sure do not want another one.

Advertisement

Top Bottom