Bid War!

swampfox

Reaction score
Holy Cow! This camera frenzy has started a ridiculous bid war on ebay. I feel that if everyone would check pawn shops and flea markets for cams it would eliminate some of the silly prices being paid for used cams on ebay. you really dont get a deal once you pay shipping. looks like most of these cams are going for 35-40 dollars,plus shipping...thats nuts. when you can just buy new ones. i just dont understand. if everyone would finish building the cams they start,rather than trying to stockpile them off ebay,someone might actually be able to get a deal and save a few bux.

T

the hairless one

i agree! I dont even bid unless they are CHEAP. You can get a new one for $50 so why pay $40 for a used one.

My owl was $12 and my snappy $9

rick

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
The Yashica Digital EZ 1.3 went carzy there for a little while too.   They went from less than $100 for a new one to $127 overnight when Brian first posted his sucess with wiring into one.  There back down a little now.

Constitutionalist

Reaction score
One thing is for sure, Ebay is as addictive as any drug on the market.  People, literally, cannot control themselves.

My father, who is due to retire in a couple of years, started buying camera equipment off Ebay so he would have ANOTHER hobby (a long story) for his "golden years."  THOUSANDS of dollars later he is STILL buying cameras and their assorted accessories.

Being the "Golden Boy," I've told him it is an addiction and he just laughs.  Has anyone ever been inside a drug rehab center and told addicts they're addicted?  They laugh too.

For peace of mind, I purchase new unless they are less than 1/2 price.

Coues

Reaction score
The problem is that people don't know how to bid. They see an auction for something that they want and immediately start bidding. Wait until the last 30 seconds and bid the highest price your willing to pay. That doesn't mean that you will have to pay it. If you bid $30 and the going price is only $10. You only pay $10 plus the bid increment. I've seen auctions that don't end for a week already have 15 bids. That is plain stupid. One time e-mailed one of the dumbies and told him to stop driving up the price on every owl on the site. He was p.o. ed!

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Ya,all you have to do is put them in your watch list,bid at the last second,if it gets to high before then i delete them from the watch list,ussually i just buy mine new from Amazon,saves time and aggravation.

TmKarren

Reaction score
I saw some one bid $32 + $6 shipping on a Infinity JR.  WITHOUT DATE/TIME...  I hope he wanted it that bad.  I wouldn't pay $10 for anything without date/time..  Must be nice to just throw away money like that.  Maybe I should sell.

Boared

Reaction score
As far as bidding on the auctions goes... I go in and bid the highest price I am willing to pay for an item and leave it at that, it will only increase as someone else bids on it, if I am outbid then no biggy.

As for sniping bids (waiting for the last 30 secs) it is ineffective now days because of the way ebay set up the bid as high as you want feature (bid your max and it will only reach that amount if someone outbids yours) so if someone goes in and says they are willing to pay $50.00 for something and the ending price is several dollars less then someone else comes in at the few seconds and tries to bid just a penny over what the showing bid is  they wont win the bid.

I have bought several dozen items on ebay and have never had the problem of being outbid in the last few seconds of an auction, I also will bid in odd amounts such as $50.52 and the ending price looks like its going to be $49.00 (just example amounts) this way if someone comes in and tries to bid $50.50 in the last few seconds they still wont be ahead, they will have to go back and bid the next available amount, which in 30 seconds is almost impossible for bid snipers.

So bidding your maximum amount in the beginning of the auction is not stupid and it doesnt drive the price up, however I do wait until close to the end of the auction to place my bids, usually within the last 10 minutes per auction and I will bid my maximum amount, if someone is willing to pay more than I am... then they deserve it more than I do... Just my thoughts... LOL

kuff

Reaction score
I've lost several items by waiting until the last bit of time. Sometimes my own max bid doesn't cover it and sometimes I just either forgot about it or didn't get to it in time. I just put in my max now whenever I come across something I want.

BOHUNTER

Reaction score
bought 48 dozen brand new titleist tour prestige golf balls for 400 bucks, best deal ever made........lol ebay isnt bad , just email whom ever is selling and see if they have more or ya can make a deal before its been bid on... ive made all my purchases that way ...ty my 2 cents
steve

Top Bottom