Big Bear Pig's

dirtpoor

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
My granddaughter just returned from a week at camp in Big Bear, while hiking they saw a large animal that the instructor said was a wild pig, I've never heard of pigs around Big Bear has anyone else ??

Orso

Reaction score
Well, some time ago maybe a couple of years there were some reports that a couple of wild hogs were taken just south of Silverwood Lake (if I have my information correct).

boarcrz

Reaction score
I've heard some houndsmen let loose some pigs around Silverwood to hunt with their dogs and that was in early 90's. I just hope to see some huntable population in Angeles Nat'l Forest. That reminds me to take a pig tag with me when I'm off to D-11.

beastslayer

Banned
Reaction score
dirtpoor - In my excitement I forgot to ask where your granddaughter had camp.

I recall while hunting near Silverwood, in some creek, a noticed some dried scat. Did not pay much attention since I have not heard anything about hogs in this part of the country. Until now.

larrysogla

Reaction score
About 2 years ago there was an article with a picture in the Calif. Hog Hunter quarterly about 2 wild pigs harvested by a bow hunter in the area above Silverwood Lake. There are a few hogs in the Mojave river drainage and in a creek(I forgot the name) in the same general vicinity. Why this hog population does not explode like the ones in Tejon, I do not know. Maybe someone can expostulate why Tejon can support an exploding population and the Silverwood Lake general area hog population is forever struggling. Why????
Does anyone know????? ' Nuff said.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Those hogs near Silverwood didn't make it a week. They were in Miller Canyon.

I've hunted the Deep Creek drainage for 20 years and have seen one feral hog out near Bowen Ranch that wondered up from Hesperia.

Rumors there are wild pigs roving SBNF are just that, rumors.

rusman66

Reaction score
There are supposed to be turkeys in that area too. Might as well look for a unicorn while your at it.

Of course I can't find a pig at Tejon so don't take my word for it.

beastslayer

Banned
Reaction score
QUOTE (larrysogla @ Aug 3 2006, 07:00 PM)
About 2 years ago there was an article with a picture in the Calif. Hog Hunter quarterly about 2 wild pigs harvested by a bow hunter in the area above Silverwood Lake. There are a few hogs in the Mojave river drainage and in a creek(I forgot the name) in the same general vicinity. Why this hog population does not explode like the ones in Tejon, I do not know. Maybe someone can expostulate why Tejon can support an exploding population and the Silverwood Lake general area hog population is forever struggling. Why????
Does anyone know????? ' Nuff said.
They are actually from the pig farms in Bakersfield.

Spectr - Rumors of pigs in SBNF? That's what I think so too. The pig scat I saw must be from a tourist walking his pot belly pig out in that creek near Silverwood.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
beastslayer, I know several people who live in Miller canyon or around Silverwood. I know the depredation guy for that area. I check that area every year while turkey hunting. I usually hear the rumors but no evidence of scat, tracks or rubbing or pics on the game cams from that area I've seen in 20+ years except for the Miller canyon release that had those pigs gone in a week. The wardens say they haven't seen any, the forest cops and biologists say they haven't seen any sign. If they did, they would want them out like the forest managers in MO want.

Plus, once the rumor gets around 400 hunters converge on the area and turn up nothing.

There may be hogs in that area that are wild but being from Mizzurah you're going to have to show me something more than text.

Got a pic of that scat?

dirtpoor

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Beastslayer, I'm not sure what camp she went to but I'll check and get back to you

Surfswest

Reaction score
Probably better chances up in that area that the girl saw big foot rather than a wild pig!!!!! But stranger things have happened.........

Frosty

scr83jp

Reaction score
The mtns & foothills of the SBNF would be an ideal area for sus scrofa lots of succulent landscaping for browse and permanent streams for water, there have been feral pigs in san timeteo canyon for a long time and their numbers should be increasing with the land locked out as a state park.When I met my gunsmith in the early 70's he told me about feral pigs in the yucaipa ridge area but access was thru private land which limited entry.While in college in AZ I helped out one of the wildlife mgt grad students with his javelina trapping project learning about the wooden box traps and baiting proceedures .We obtained veg trimmings from the mkts in Tucson which we'd take out to the traps which were left open until pigs were acclimated to them then they were baited and set.I was told that sus escapees from Las Flores Ranch had been shot near the pilot rock area.A friend told me about some other pig locations in San Berdo Co.

beastslayer

Banned
Reaction score
spectr17 - I don't have any picture. I am leaning myself to the "rumor" and a "few feral pig" side of the story. This is a heavily hunted area. And if there are several sightings, we would have heard of it.

But you know being nearby, we want to cling to every bit of hope (LOL) there are indeed pigs out there.

dirtpoor - Thanks. Let us know since we are set for some scouting out there for the deer season. It won't hurt to be on the look out. But be rest assured that I would have the patience -- and very strong discipline and self-control --- to let them propagate first into huntable and sustainable population for all JHOers to enjoy!

Houndsmen

Reaction score
I have hunted every stretch of San berdo for deer and Bears for the last 20 years. The hounds take us to some very crazy remote areas when hunting bear up there. I have never come across any pigs or pig tracks. It would not surprise me though. Years ago somone released several hogs down in the Santa Anna River bed and since then I have taken several nice hogs with my bow. Hogs are very tough animals. Jim

sportyg

Reaction score
Thought the S.A River bed was closed to hunting ? Any way I knew someone who said there are a few pigs between Hispaira & Silver Wood. I have seen a couple of pictures of pigs he had taken. He stated they came from that area but wouldn't say where. How ever that was quite a few years ago.

Houndsmen

Reaction score
Sportyg,,,

Most of the Santa Ana river bed is closed to hunting now. I hunted a stretch of it several years ago on some private when we were still allowed to shoot bows. My buddy has since sold the property. Most of the City's around the River have municipal codes that prohibit the discharge of any projectiles including arrows.

beastslayer

Banned
Reaction score
Santa Ana is where we always get "news" of hogs. If this is true, I hope it will migrate to the whole of D14.

Someone else's pests, somebody's source of fun.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
There are hogs in the Santa Ana River bed. You just can't get at them legally. Most over by Hidden Valley and the golf course in Riverside. Some escaped from Bighorn Ranch and worked their way down San Timeteo canyon to the Santa Ana river bed.

After DFG closed off Norton Youngblood area of San Tim to hunting you can't get at most of them hogs either. If you can get permission to hunt the private land in San Tim canyon the hogs do run in that bamboo. Every once in awhile the local Redlands paper has a report of somebody squashing a wild pig on San Tim canyon rd. Last one was near Allessandro rd where it dumps into San Tim canyon Rd. Long odds but they are there.

Any landowners in San Tim who would want me to help stick those mean nasty hogs for them please email me.

larrysogla

Reaction score
Still the question of why Tejon has an explosion of wild pigs(it originated from an accidental release when a planted wild pig ranch had a brush fire back in the 1990's and the firefighters bulldozed down the animal proof fence) and the Silverwood lake, Deep creek drainage and Big Bear area has no explosion of wild pig population. Why??? Could it be due to Tejon has no residents that shoot the pigs on sight as opposed to the populated Big Bear-Silverwood lake area. I believe the difference is the absence of people density in Tejon. 'Nuff said.

Top Bottom