Big Bear

Thonzberry

Reaction score
I have a place in Big Bear Lake, and was thinking of doing some hunting and was wondering if anyone knows of any place and where. Thanks:shootin:

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
Check your big game post.  Same area has mountain quail, doves, and bandtail pidgeon.

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Thonz,
           I've got good sleeping quarters up there at the in-laws.  We usually head out of Fawnskin and take the road toward Hesperia.  We've had really good luck around Luna Mtn.  We've also taken 18 toward Victorville and turned off just below the Mitsubishi plant.  Hit the highway and head toward 29 Palms.  We travel about 5 miles and then cruise up Rattlesnake Canyon.  It's got a few soft sandy spots and the rancher has a reputation of being a jerk.  There are three really good seeps with tons of tracks.  I haven't been there  this year, but we've always found birds.  Seems like they don't move until 10am so enjoy your breakfast.  Those elusive mountain quail just seem to show up.  We've got 'em at 4,000 ft and up with no rhyme or reason.

T F Coyote

Reaction score
See my reply under "San Bernadino Mountains"

There are plenty of quail all around there.

bigtroutbane

Reaction score
Back in October I launched my little tin can at the Public Launch just east of Gray's, at BigBear and the lady in the office was commenting to me how just the week prior there was a deer on the beach that was torn to pieces.  

She informed me that the wolves in Big Bear did a number on it leaving blood and flesh all up and down the shoreline.

I kinda chuckled to myself and thought, "Wolves in CA?"  I told her it was probably a mountain lion.

But, she swore it was a wolf.  Oh, well.  

jackrabbit

Reaction score
I used to hunt quail years ago on the north side of Holcomb Valley as it starts to descend into the high desert, I think I recall a place there called Quial Springs which actually had quite a large spring.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
bigtroutbane, The coyotes must have got the deer or Mtn. Lion, but she might have got the yote confused with a wolf, who knows. Are you going to go to the Hunt in Arrowhead on Jan 27th. check out the post about in the Varmint forum titld JHP Arrowhead Hunt. maybe I'll see you there.

bigtroutbane

Reaction score
Thonzberry,

Tinner and I will be there.  Planning on heading up Friday morning.  Staying the night and hunting Saturday.  We'll see you up there.  Looking forward to meeting a few of you.  

We meet Song Dog a couple months ago around Acton while chasing up some quail.

WingSetter

Reaction score
If Baldwin Lake will fill with water it will make for a excellent duck shoot.  I know it's too late this year but as always when your up there keep your eyes open.  From Big Bear it's a short drive to Baldwin Lake. Back in the days it was some fast gunning for big diver ducks. Still wishing  it will fill so the DFG will open it back up for  Duck Hunting.

jackrabbit

Reaction score
I'm not really a duckhunter, but I hunted Baldwin Lake when they opened it up, back around 1978, in freezing bluebird weather.  There were only a couple of guys with dogs hunting the weekend I went.  But the lake was surrounded by shore-bound skybusters, and the guys in boats were skybusting also because they couldn't get up close enought to the rafting ducks.  But I got my limit each day, just waited, worked the tules around shoreline aound 9:00 for cripples when everyone was having breakfast, and my Lab flushed them like pheasant, and then he retrieved them from the water -- piece of cake!

rlwright

Reaction score
I'm heading up near big bear this saturday to hopfully find some mountian quail for the dog to chase. I think I'll acces via 173 and then towards deep creek. I have a 2 wheel drive white s10 so my routes are limited. Has anyone ever hunted willow creek? Will it be worth it or should I try other spots. Maybe malony canyon or bacon flats.

Newby

Reaction score
Everybody seems to have forgotten the story of Turkey in Big Bear. I'm not saying for sure that there are any, cuz god knows I have'nt seen any,,, yet. But, thats what I heard.

Fubar

Reaction score
Newby  I didnt forget.                Fubar

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I'll be in Big Bear this weekend to celebrate getting a year older and plan on doing some fishing.  I'm not a real big fan of soaking powerbait or lake trolling so I think I'll stick to the creeks.  I was thinking of taking the back route (38) from Big Bear over to fish my way from South Fork down to Seven Oaks on the Santa Ana.  Then I thought I'd take the dirt over to Bear Creek for a little flyfishing.  I think I'll then continue on the dirt road out and head back into town via the front way (330).  I'm taking the girlfriend so I figure we'll pack a lunch and make a day of it.  Anyone ever driven this loop?  Whats the road like?  Anyone fished any of these spots recently?  thanks.

Maverick

Reaction score
TF Coyote in the hunting swap said that he just fished bear creek and the water wasn't flowing very good and it was full of weed where it pools up so you may want to contact him before you try it.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Hello SDHNTR,

Sorry to say but the creeks are almost dry and Big Bear is the lowest I've ever seen it. The lake would be my first choice but I can't say it will be worth it. Jenks Lake may be worth a stop just so you can find water.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I was afraid that would be the case but figured I'd go take a look.  A scenic drive if nothing else.

Top Bottom