Big Jake - Small Tom?

Shane

Reaction score
Here in WA, a hunting partner and I shot birds about 5 miles and 2000 feet elevation from one another.

Now, his bird was a nice Merriams tom with a 9.5" beard, 1 inch spurs and weighed about 15 pounds. I know, we were thinking kinda smallish as well.

My bird on the other hand was (my guess) a 1 year old Jake that weighed over 15 pounds and had a 4 inch beard. This was a really good sized bird.

I haven't seen a jake that big. The wing bones (each of the three) were all 1/2 inch longer than my partner's tom. I guess I was thinking it could be genes from different translocation efforts. We also get three sub-species in close proximity to one another - Merriams, Easterns and Rios. If they crossed with the Rios, that would likely cause a smaller tom, right?

Has anyone experienced this before?

(Edited by Shane at 11:58 pm on May 15, 2002)

SAW

Reaction score
   We only have Eastern turkeys here in Ohio,so I don't know about the sizes of other v
arieties.My first bird was a jake that weighed 18 lb.,I also thought that was unusual.
I have since heard that it was not uncommon for jakes to get that big.They don't worry so much about breeding and have more time for eating.
                                                   SAW

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
If you look at the average weights and record weights of the 3 species (Rio, Eastern, Merriams), of turkeys, they are all pretty close.

Maybe he just had better stock in him or was a better finder of bugs and acorns. I've seen deer like that, some looked like runts and the brother/sister to them looked like a baby huey deer.

Congrats on the toms too. Where the pics dude? What you call them in with?

Top Bottom