• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Big Valley General Buck...finally

71fan

I finally drew my CA antelope tag, with max points. Any info/advice from previous visitors to this area is appreciated.

I drew a sheep tag as well and the seasons are the same, so that should prove interesting. My priority will go to the sheep hunt (of course) but if I get in and out with a goat in a few days of hunting I can make it work.

84toyota

Wow! White Mountains sheep? Definitely focus on the sheep - you can always kill an antelope in Wyoming! PM me your email address and I can send you some info on the Big Valley pronghorn...

71fan

The hunt went well. My buddy Steve and I drove up to Big Valley on Monday afternoon/evening after recouping from my sheep hunt at my dad's place in Reno for a night. We arrived just before dark and spotted a decent buck on public land but couldn't get the gear ready quickly enough to even think about a stalk/shot. He moved out toward private land and we weren't able to locate him before dark. We set up camp and got the lay of the land Tuesday morning, and spotted another decent buck on public land but he was moving out at a high rate of speed, as antelope are apt to do from time to time. Tuesday evening we looked for the first buck we had seen the first night, but never located him or his does. Wednesday morning we went back for the buck we spotted Tuesday morning and spotted him early, then commenced a three hour stalk/spot/sneak/chase as he moved his does toward private land. I wasn't able to connect before he moved into the "protected" zone.

By that time I was very frustrated with the lack of public land access. There is public land in the zone, and there are antelope there, but it's locked in by private land with no access, for the most part. The two little areas we had hunted were less than a square mile each, and we have pretty much hunted them out and figured the antelope wouldn't be back for a few days. So we decided to drive around mid-day Wednesday and see what the private land looked like. There were antelope on quite few fields and I said what the heck and drove right up to a farm house, knocked on the door, and was able to secure permission to hunt a herd we had seen near their property. This wasn't my preferred scenario, and it's not something I planned on, but I had discovered that this is the way Big Valley is hunted and that's where the animals were. So spent the afternoon judging three bucks in the vicinity of those kind folks' fields, and settled on a nice heart-shaped buck with good mass and mice ivory tips. After an hour of planning and a very successful stalk/ambush, it was a done deal. The buck is beautiful and is the largest we saw on the trip, measuring 15" and green scoring 78-4/8. He's my third antelope, all about the same size.

71fan

Thanks to 84toyota for assistance with the area. Your help was very valuable and I appreciate you taking the time and effort to reach out to me.

Here are a few more pics:

84toyota

Way to go! That's an awesome antelope! Nice to know that there are some landowners willing to allow hunting! Glad I could be of some assistance...

Bossbrott

Congrats on a fine trophy.

If it weren't for folks like 84Toyota this result my have been different, I tip my hat to you.

Top Bottom