Birchwood Casey Tru-oil

ltdann

Reaction score
So I went to look for some Tru-oil thinking I'd refinish a stock. Apparently the California Air Resources Board banned it's sale in California a few years back. No company will ship it to California anymore.

Anyone using something that works as well and produces a hard finish. Teak oil or tung oil? I'd rather stay away from linseed oil due to drying times

Gawd, I hate this state.

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
Make the trip to Pheonix, and get some oil based paint for the house while your there.

KTKT70

Reaction score
Ask around and look hard. There is a place that will ship it here still. Many things are not allowed here and the maker is not willing to risk the money on shipping here.

With that said. Many people that are not the maker. Don't care about rules. Just make the money. Many bug sprays have to be ordered on the inter web. I'm pretty sure there is a place for oil product also.

ltdann

Reaction score
My wife is in Texas at the moment, she'll make a power run to the local Gander Mountain and pick some up. It's crazy the amount of stuff California doesn't allow.....go try and buy a semi-auto handgun. Last time I checked, Ruger only had one semi that made DOJ safe handgun roster......and black powder? fawgetaboutit.

KTKT70

Reaction score
Have her pick up some blue bell ice cream. Oh and a what-a-burger. All the best stuff is available in Texas.

Oh wait. Can't get hault cribbage in tx now. A friend asked for some on my last trip out. Looks like even tx is not down with wood coats for horses. Lol

inchr48

Reaction score
If your wife can't find any, give me a shout.

I hear you on the boiled linseed oil. Got 7 coats on this Rossi 410. Used rack at local gun store for $85 out the door. Stripped paint off stock, and found the striped forearm. Looks nice oiled up. Too humid to work on it for the next few weeks.

ltdann

Reaction score
Linseed finishes are easy to repair, but you have to put a gazillion coats on to make it durable. That looks nice though....

I've used tung oil on other projects but never a stock. That takes quite awhile to harden up as well.

Last edited:

ltdann

Reaction score
Have her pick up some blue bell ice cream. Oh and a what-a-burger. All the best stuff is available in Texas.

Oh wait. Can't get hault cribbage in tx now. A friend asked for some on my last trip out. Looks like even tx is not down with wood coats for horses. Lol
She always gorges on Whataburger and brings some back. I wonder why there aren't Whataburger in Ca.? Those burgers must have crack in them, you can't just eat one.....

KTKT70

Reaction score
She always gorges on Whataburger and brings back. I wonder why there aren't Whataburger in Ca.? Those burgers must have crack in them, you can't just eat one.....
They are made with fresh ingredient when you order. As far as why not in Cali. I asked that on my last trip. Turns out corporate was at a store I stopped at. The one guy was from around here and said he thinks it would do good in kern and other country towns but would not do good all over. For that reason the family is not looking to move out here.

Blue bell is also a Texas treat. Best ice cream ever. But it's only available in tx and a few close states. If you ever go out there. I highly recommend what-a-burger and blue bell to wash it down.

Last edited:

JustGuy

Banned
Reaction score
So I went to look for some Tru-oil thinking I'd refinish a stock. Apparently the California Air Resources Board banned it's sale in California a few years back. No company will ship it to California anymore.

Anyone using something that works as well and produces a hard finish. Teak oil or tung oil? I'd rather stay away from linseed oil due to drying times

Gawd, I hate this state.
I buy it on Ebay. The guys there are much more cooperative :)( in another words they do not give a rat's ass...)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Birchwood-Casey-Complete-Tru-Oil-Gun-Stock-Finish-or-Refinish-Kit-23801-/371643406635?hash=item5687ac592b:g:3IkAAOSwepZXTamJ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tru-Oil-8-OZ-23035-Gun-Stock-Finish-Birchwood-Casey-Truoil-Wood-Oil-Protectant-/131218995140?hash=item1e8d42f7c4:g:vFgAAOxykPxSMSlG

_________

Last edited:

Top Bottom