Bird hunting stap vest. What kind do you have?

GSP

Reaction score
 I need a new stap bird hunting vest , Ive seen the ones in cabelas and herters catalog . Any others you now about. Dont want one of those turkey vests with the big old butt pad.
  Someting strong ,light, simple , not bulky
  Whos got a good one?
 Rick

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I picked up the Cabelas Waterfowler's rucksack last season.  It's a waterproof backpack with bird straps on both sides.  It's a great, all-around pack.  I've used it with ducks, and also took the straps off to carry the pack on hog hunts as a day pack.  It's huge inside, with well situated compartments.  

The only negative I saw with big birds is that it's a little more comfortable if you can even out the load.  I'm sure pheasants would be the same way.  I can't imagine that's gonna be a problem with doves or quail, though.  

On the other hand, I always just threw quail and doves into the cargo pockets on my BDUs.  

foulshot

Reaction score
I also have a Cabelas vest similar to this one but in Camo.
 I can't find the exact place on Cabelas that it is at but, it has a similar set up.  Double pockets in the front and a large pocket in the back.  I use mine for all upland and waterfowl.  My only recommendation is to get wide shoulder straps, much easier on the body.
I acutally got a blaze orange vest for pheasant from Wal-Mart for $25.  It has front pockets that stay popped open for easy access to shells.  Haven't seen them at WallyWorld lately though.

Pigbodies

Reaction score
GSP,

I'm looking for a new game bag myself.  I can't decide whether I want a strap vest or a regular upland game vest.  I'm might get both.  The best one's I've seen are in the Cabela's catalog.  I'm leaning towards getting the strap vest from the upland tradition clothing collection.  It has a Tri-load game bag and plenty of cargo pockets for extra shells.  It sells for $39.95.  The upland vest also has the Tri-load game bag and sells for the same price.  Pictures of the vests are in the newFall Annual catalog.  I hope this info helps.

Hep

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
I use one similar to the one Foulshot posted. It is very comfortable, easy on/off, plus because of the suspender straps it doesn't tear up the back of your neck when the front pockets are full of shells. My buddy uses a belt one, but I don't care for the feeling of the darn thing trying to yank my pants down while I'm walking.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I like the strap style.  I have the same one as Foulshot, and only after having the vest prior.  The vests tend to cut into my neck with a box of shells and other doodads in the pockets.  The strap style tend to put distribute the load onto the shoulders which I prefer.  I also like the fact that it's adjustable.

rlwright

Reaction score
vdhak9navy, Welcome to the forum. Be carefull you can burn an hour easy on here, there is tons of usefull info. and knowledgable members.

I use a belt; the padded daypack styles from REI. I clip a bird strap to it for the birds, they stay in better shape longer when you hang them from your waist as opposed to stuffing them in a vest or pouch (even w/ webbed pouches they're right against your body). For me the belt is more comfortable and keeps your upper body free for shooting, especially while chuckar hunting and cooler. It has two pouches for water bottles and I put a bladder in it for more water when needed because I like to carry as much as possible for the dog and I. It also has one shoulder strap that can be used to distribute the weight even more.

vdhak9navy

Reaction score
I have been hunting now for over 40 years and just got use to the strap vest. I put crushed ice in a bag , I field dress as I go and stuff the in side of the birds with the ice. I hunt the high desert most of the time and it can be very hot in the early season, so I use the ice. I got this idea when I was a dog handler in vietnam and it worked real good. This is a great web site and thank you for the nice hello.

ghrousseau

Reaction score
I have the Filson Strap vest and like it very much.  It is comfortable and has very wide straps to distribute the load.  Also holds many shells.

Top Bottom