Bird License

East Coast

Reaction score
I hope I'm not off topic here, but I need to get a California license (I've been an East Coast hunter up until now).  Can I take old licenses from PA, NJ and NY to prove certification or do I need to take the course in CA regardless.

Any input appreciated...

EC

songdog

Reaction score
An out of state license is proof enough of the hunter saftey or equivalent for CA.  Just take your old license with you.  

If you go to WalMart or some other "non-hunting" store, you may end up with someone helping you who doesn't know/understand the regs.  Go to your local hunting type store and you shouldn't have a problem.

(Edited by songdog at 6:37 pm on Nov. 2, 2001)

Mojave

Reaction score
Your old out-of-state (resident) hunting licence is definitely enough, unless you are under 16 years of age, in which case you MUST have a certificate of completion from an approved hunter safety course. Even if you wind up at Wal-Mart, you can show them their own copy of the hunting regs, which is pretty clear on this subject. I attended (as an observer), the California hunter safety course year before last, with my (then) 11-year-old son, and found it to be much better than the classes I attended a long time ago in Georgia, and at a rod-and-gun club in Germany. I actually had a good time there, and learned a thing or two.

East Coast

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I'm heading to the store today...and don't worry, I think I remember how to handle the gun.  

(What's that little button with the red paint though???? I always forget...)

EC

Thonzberry

Reaction score
East Coast I've used one of my old one's that was around 15 yrs. old and had no problem. Good Luck, were are you planing on hunting:wavin:

East Coast

Reaction score
Yeah, my old PA license is about 7 yrs. old so I guess I won't have a problem either.

Well I'm in San Diego and learned about a place called Kitchen Creek in East County which supposedly is good and has some drinkers.  Otherwise I am open to suggestions and am willing to travel.

I've done a lot of fishing in the Domeland Wilderness and have flushed birds everytime so I'd look forward to heading up that way again soon...I've also seen quail in the Big Bear area but am not familiar with public lands there.

Let me know if you have any other suggeestions in So Cal.

EC

duckman2000

Reaction score
you wont have any trouble getting  one .california is the biggest joke when it comes to getting a license.they will give anyone with a false old license one they dont check.this is what kill's me I know of three guy's that are felon's and they hunt what give's .yes they can bow hunt but they use guns.one was even busted this year in wy for shooting a robo deer just a little fine .it kill's me

songdog

Reaction score
EastCoast - Kitchen Creek and Mt. Laguna are good areas for quail, deer, coyotes, bobcats and foxes.  You'll even find some mountain quail mixed in at the higher elevations.  

East Coast

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.  

I'm heading to Kitchen Creek this weekend and will hunt north of the drinker there.  Where can I you hunt near Mt. Laguna?  I thought that was mostly state land closed to hunting.

EC

songdog

Reaction score
No, there's a bunch of Nat'l Forest there.  If that's what you mean by state land - you can hunt anywhere in the Nat'l Forest unless is specifically posted otherwise.  Do be aware though that as you head up Sunrise Hwy the area to the left is bow only.  To the right is rifle/shotgun.

Good luck!

Fubar

Reaction score
East Coast  Welcome to Jesses Forum. If you hunt in the National Forest in Southern California you will need an adventure pass also. If you park your car and come back you may have a ticket if you dont get the tax, I mean adventure pass. Also going to a hunter safety class wouldnt hurt either. I have been hunting for 30+ years and I just recently took a course in CA and another in AZ to get the hunter safety Bonus Point in AZ.                Fubar

Latest Posts

Top Bottom