Bird shot out of my 1911?

bsanders8181

All, I was hunting with a buddy who always keeps a couple rounds of birdshot in his 38 revolver for snakes when hunting. Of course I ran into the rattler with light getting too low ans a 270 and 45 as my defense. From where the 45 rounds exploded I must have taken some good chunks out of the snake before it went away. Had I had some #9 shot in the 45 I would have stopped it right away. Does anyone know if those pistol shotshells come in 45 auto and if they will cycle my pistol. It is a stock RIA with stock springs.

bsanders8181

Thanks Solus, I guess I was just being lazy and not looking into it. Seems the 38/357 does not say not to use in revolver, so my buddy id ok. Has anyone used them? I guess I'll have to get some and make sure they cycle correctly before I trust them on my hip.

SpiritWalker

Seriously? It's just a snake. Shoosh it away with a stick or toss some dirt at until it moves on or go around it. Unless of course you want to harvest it for something. I just don't find them all that threatening when i see them in advance of steeping on them.

nmbrinkman

Shot them out of my glock 21. Only 10 of them but they cycled the action and ejected fine. Louder than I thought they'd be. Also fun to try and shoot hand thrown clays at close range.

henmar77

You shot a bird out of your 1911????? Thats what i saw when i read the title of your thread. Im soooo tired.

Yea, i agree with spiritwalker. I have encountered hundreds fishing the SB water sheds. Unless i planned on eating them walk away. They don't strike if they don't feel threatened. I have surprised many without a strike.

bsanders8181

I could hear it in the grass and it was just dark enough that I could not tell which direction it was going to go. When it popped out in front of me at about 5 feet and started coming my way. I let one fly. It moved again so I let another fly. Both explosions seemed to be direct hits an inch below the head, but it changed course and headed under a bush. I didn't have a stick, and if it was dead, I would have harvested it for a midnight snack as it was pretty small. My buddy was disapointed it snuck off on me, he loves snake. If it wasn't so hard to see that evening I would haved looked for it, but I was not chasing a snake into a bush in the dark. As my frined is a fan and I would like to try his recipe, I would have shot it had it not come my way. In taking it with me I figured 200gr Hornady Tap ammo would work for anything, but now figure bird shot would have been better.

Top Bottom