Birds near Santa Barbara

troutndeer

Reaction score
Is there any place to hunt birds (or anything edible for that matter) near santa barbara? I might be relocated there for a while so I would like to know some areas. I dont want anybody's honey hole, just an area to start from. I don't mind some legwork so any tips will be very appreciated!

socalkid

Reaction score
I've heard quail up around Lake Cachuma and the Los Padres National Forest is up that way.

pennywise67

Reaction score
We have lots of quail in SB, the problem is the Poison oak grows thick! If you relocate let me know, I can help you out.

Raully

Reaction score
There is the whole Los Padres National forest full of good tasting critters. You should have no problem finding quail. Pick up a map at the local Forest service Office. I believe the main headquarters is on Hollister ave in Goleta (north county santa barbara).

l0nepine

Reaction score
I live in Santa Barbara and there are lots of places close by that hold quail, there is also A LOT of cover and poison oak. If you do relocate get a map and go for a drive, you wont be disappointed.

troutndeer

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I will pick up a map next time Im down there and do my home work before the move,

Thanks, D

leftyhunter

Reaction score
Hi Troutndeer,

This might sound crazy but crows are most delicious and a fun and challenging bird to shoot. There are a lot of vineyards in SB County they might let you shoot them if you ask. You will need off season depredation permits and some specialty equipment. You can e-mail me for details. crow hunting is a lot more like waterfowl hunting instead of quail hunting. i have hunted quail and they are fun but I enjoy crow hunting more. Crows taste like beef and they do eat quail eggs and baby quail. i don't know if SB County has dairies but if they do there might be pigeons and some dairy owners don't mind if you wack a few and thereis no season or limit.

Leftyhunter

Mike C

Reaction score
If you relocate to Santa Barbara you might experience sticke shock at the cost of rentals and housing. However there are places less expensive in northern Santa Barbara County. But the point is hunting. I would suggest that you take a look at Google Earth and the Santa Barbara County area. Lots of open space but not all is huntable. However within around a 100 miles there is the Los Padres national forest, Cuyama Valley (good place for quail) and Carizzo Planes. Let us know when you relocate and where you are then we can give you places to try and explore.

AnewBigDaddyB

Reaction score
the vast expanse of the "golden states" heartland, is "privately owned" except of course, the thousands of acres of "gov't lands" up and down, side to side, of this "great state"!

Yes, there are many species of game, within the regions, you speak of!

Getting access, well, that's another issue of it's own!

Nat'l forests, they're your's for the taking, assuming there's no, entrance bans?

Acquire the necessary permits, and you're cool as a "cucumber"! Pay your "natural dues" to learn the facts, and, voila!, you'll soon learn of the vast expanses of the "Golden States" resources of enjoyment!

Stayed tune here, and just you just may hit the lotto, and get an invite?

lote

Reaction score
I live in Santa Barbara and just got back from a scouting trip off Hwy 33. lots of birds that way, and few people. i was next to the Dick Smith wilderness. I think the recent Zaca fire pushed all the birds out of the dick smith wilderness which, someone please correct me if im wrong, is closed to hunting. I didnt hunt much here last season as i was working further north. It would be great though if we could pool our knowledge in this thread, without giving away our honey holes of course, and maybe learn from one another.

just my

Lote

mc2212

Reaction score
Santa Barbara Canyon is a good place to go for quail, if the area didn't get burned up.

AnewBigDaddyB

Reaction score
TND, as you see, many responses, and potential aides exist right here, from many a willing advocate!

Not knowing you're ability/desire to traverse the lands to acquire your goals? Depends significantly on your ability to achieve them!

From the greater SB area, you're in less than an hours drive of some of the vast expanses of the Central Ca. range of opportunity for outdoor recreation!

Santa Barbara, Ventura, San Luis Obispo, Kern, and Los Angeles counties are all within an hour's drive to place you into hunting grounds!

Two hours, and you're into Monterey and additional counties that provide hunting opportunities!

Being a NorCaler, I'm slightly surprised you're soliciting this advice? Regardless, you'll get it here! Welcome south!

Top Bottom