Birthday Gobbler

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Took Max Berg and his dad Matt (Mouthcallinmatt) on their 1st turkey hunt this morning. Got to our spot a little late, but enough time to get set-up. As we settled in (I was 20 yds behind them), the big boys started going off. The roost tree is at the top of a ridge over looking the meadow we're in. When I started cutting, they went crazy. And the best part was, I didn't hear a single hen. At 6:20 they started flying down...3 longbeards. When they hit the ground (75 yds), they were instantly on the move right at us. At 25 yds., they probably saw Max shaken........
, because they started to turn away. At about the same time, BOOM...BOOM. I see one bird down.....Max's 1st gobbler (17.5lbs, 91/2" beard, 3/4" spurs).......
Short, but really exciting. Hunted the rest of the day for Matt, close but no cigar. Great day of turkey hunting...... Happy birthday Max............

Attachments

radioleo

Reaction score
Yo Steve,

Nice bird and happy birthday looked like a beautiful day......

Leo

tdog

Reaction score
great job on helping out a first timer

foulshot

Reaction score
Nice job Steve on the guiding! You've really been producing for the youngsters!

Nice job Max! Matt, you are one proud father!

Steve, just curious how is your split on public vs. MCC vs. private land access?

ilovesprig

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (foulshot @ Apr 20 2008, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Steve, just curious how is your split on public vs. MCC vs. private land access?[/b]

Zach,

I've only hunted MCC twice this spring (1 bird). All the other hunts and birds taken have been taken from private property. Well, except Kansas, which was public.

Another pic of the boys.......

Attachments

socalgobblerhunter

Reaction score
Great bird Steve. Your work with the kids is absolutley awsome.

Its been a hit and miss for me on MCC so I hunted public today and got a few willing but still alot of hens around and its hard to compete with the real ladies. Some times I wish I could grab the scater gun and use it but I made a commitment with the bow so I'll keep on try'n.

None the less great job on your sucess.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Gen,

I have a lot of respect for you guys that use a bow. I have a tough enough time with a shotgun.......

knoopr55

Reaction score
Congrats and happy birthday with that bird, keep it going

foulshot

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ilovesprig @ Apr 20 2008, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (foulshot @ Apr 20 2008, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Steve, just curious how is your split on public vs. MCC vs. private land access?[/b]

Zach,

I've only hunted MCC twice this spring (1 bird). All the other hunts and birds taken have been taken from private property. Well, except Kansas, which was public.

Another pic of the boys.......

[/b][/quote]
Steve,
Good job on getting the property. Its hard in San Diego. I've got a buddy out there who has some property secured, outside of that I don't know if he'd get birds.

Good job again!

Tominator

Reaction score
Keep on keeping on Sprig
Congrats on the first bird and happy birthday

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I saw these 3 grinnin monkeys at the Henshaw cafe Saturday. Kewl birthday bird Steve

Always a great day to whack a nice tom just in time to make biscuits and gravy at the cafe.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spectr17 @ Apr 21 2008, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I saw these 3 grinnin monkeys at the Henshaw cafe Saturday. Kewl birthday bird Steve

Always a great day to whack a nice tom just in time to make biscuits and gravy at the cafe.[/b]
Yeah Jesse,

Even more grinnin' Sunday with this father & son combo. The weather was foggy, breezy, and cold, but the turkeys were hot after 10:00 AM. We missed bisquits & gravy, but lunch was a great at the Henshaw Cafe...................

Attachments

Top Bottom