Birthday Turkey

ilovesprig

Reaction score
I hunted with a junior hunter (Tanner) opening day and we'd been watching (and working on) this property for over a month. The birds had been landing in the same meadow every day (with less birds each week). So last saturday, I built a blind next to a tree facing the meadow. I set Tanner up so he was facing the meadow, with me next to the tree with a little more cover. The 1st birds to fly down are hens. The next bird to fly down is a big gobbler, but instead of landing in the meadow like they've done every day. It lands to my right and of course, my guns up and on the bird. Tanner has no shot. At the same time this is happening 2 more longbeards fly down and land with the hens (80 yds). As soon as my bird starts gobbling, the other 2 are coming over to challenge him. Keep in mind, this is a horse ranch. As the pair of gobblers get within 40 yds, I tell Tanner to take the back bird and I'll take the front. I know sooner say this, and 2 horses walk up and stand right in front of Tanner. I tell him on 3 and he says he can't see the back bird. The 2 horses proceed to walk right up to Tanner, and start nibbling on his Leafy-flage. All this time, I'm on the front bird. Finally, I decide I'll poke the horse with my gun barrel (safety back on). So I poke him in the nose and he bolts, as do the turkeys at 35 yds. It all happened pretty fast and we sat there dumbfounded. To make a long story short, I did get the 1st bird (19 lbs, 10" beard, 3/4" spurs) that flew in, but I was very disappointed that Tanner didn't get a bird. We hunted the rest of the day with no success. Called in another longbeard, but it went completed around him and came within 30 yds behind me, Spittin' & Drummin' (Tanner was 25 yds in front of me and had no shot). Frustrating, but exciting day and we'll keep trying. Maybe that's why they extended the season for juniors.....................

P.S.
Oh yea, it was my 60th birthday saturday......

Attachments

WAY

Reaction score
Awesome bird Steve!

Happy Birthday! Congrats on your long beard.

Lumpy

Reaction score
Way to go Steve, congrats!!!!!!!
God Bless

One Track

Reaction score
Steve:

Congrats on a great bird. You are very skilled in the pursuit of birds! Hope to meet you at the next FOW clean up.

Brent

Raully

Reaction score
Congrates on the successful Hunt!

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom