• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Bison Anatomy, Archery shot placement

bowhunter46

I plan to hunt Bison with the bow this fall, and have yet to find a good anatomical view of the vitals of a bison. Do any of you folks have a link or photo to share with me?
Aloha from the Islands,

Bowhunter46

inchr48

I got very little to help, only this:

Exploring Mammals - Google Books

I suggest you buy a beef heart, duct tape it to the front of two baking sheets taped together and practice hitting it. Aim just behind the foreleg. J/K of course. My bet is the hard part will be getting close enough for the archery shot. Let us know how it shakes out. You'll eat great for a long while!

BFR

check out the Utah cow bison orientation, scan down and you will find the skeletal diagram with the heart and lung areas shown, plus the bone structure. just type bison cow hunt orientation inyour search engine and look for the Utah site. Good Luck!

bowhunter46

Bison Shot Placement

Thanks for the info. I found the Utah link and printed off the Bison Shot Placement pages. Excellent view of how the spine slopes slightly downward from the hips to the neck, and showing how you have to shoot in the bottom third of the animal or lower to reach the vitals.
I just ordered some Easton ST Axis full metal jacket arrows and some Magnus Stinger Buzz Cut 2 blade broadheads from my friend and hunting buddy Bob Fromme at Performance Archery in San Diego. He thinks this is a good combination for heavy boned big animals like bison.
Will post the results of my bison adventure in late October, and hopefully a photo of the successful hunt.
Mahalo for the help.
Bowhunter46
Ocean View, Hawaii

BFR

Wedoodly, just go to the Utah F&G website, then in the search box top right corner type in "Bison cow hunt orientation" click on the first site and scroll down a little over half way to the "shot placement" page. 1st page shows the skeletal pic down another page shows the area on an actual critter.

Hey bowhunter46, let us know how you do and post some pics.

bowhunter46

Bowhunting Bison

Aloha all,

I'm back from my Bison hunt in Montana. The temp was 4 degrees with a wind chill of -7 on the day I hunted my Bull, Oct. 11, 2009, in the hills West of the Madison river. My Easton full metal jacketed carbon arrows with Magnus Stinger and Buzzcut broadheads did the trick. The extra penetration was apparent when practicing on my layered foam target. The fmj Eastons consistently got 1/3 to 1/2 more penetration than my radial x weaves with the same weight (125grain) broadheads. My first arrow took out the near lung, but my final shot quartering away put him down for good. My guide told me to try for the lungs and not try for the difficult heart shot low behind the elbow. I now have a whole lot of bison to eat . . . brought all the backstraps and tenderloins with me back to Hawaii to BBQ and left the rest for my relatives in Wyoming to enjoy. They will get some made up into salami that I'm looking forward to trying when I return to Wyoming.

How do I insert an image (photo) of my Buffalo from My Pictures in Windows to post here???

Aloha for now, If I get suggestions for posting photo, I'll try to add it later.
Buffalo Dan

Top Bottom