Black Mulie

Glass eye

Reaction score
Back in 1992 I drew an Antelope tag for suprise valley and while scouting for antelope I was bowhunting deer(that was back when you could roam the X zones with an AO Tag) and I shot a video of a black mulie doe, she was with other does in their august rusty orange fur and she really stood out from the others being a coal black color. Later when I was in a sporting goods store in Alturas I saw on the brag board two photos of a couple of black bucks that were harvested.
Have any of you ever seen any black deer up in Modoc County ?

snoopdogg

Reaction score
Interesting, maybe Ranchwife will pipe in, she's a local.

BirdDawg

Banned
Reaction score
I've seen black does here in the central valley where I live.........stick out like a sore thumb.

'Ike'

Reaction score
Any burns near by? They will roll in a burn area to get rid of ticks and fleas.....

Glass eye

Reaction score
The doe I saw and the pictures in the store were melanistic deer, it is the opposite of an albino.

84toyota

Reaction score
The Warner Mts. are known to have some of those Black Mule Deer... it apparently runs in the gene pool... I've never seen one up there, but I have heard of many people who have seen them...
I see plenty of other deer around Redding which are extremely white in color... not truly albino, but very pale in color. It runs in the local gene pool...

Ken

C++

Reaction score
Red/Light Brown Coats are summer coats... Dark coat are winter coats... I saw a buck that was turning gray he was the oldest buck I have ever seen.

Top Bottom