Black Russian Boars in D13???

M

Mule_Deer_Dreamin

Anybody taken or had the opportunity to even see one of these boars in California? I heard they were elusive but definitely up there. I am going to be hunting D13 hard this year and was wondering if I should hold out and hunt hard for a black Russian. What do you all think?

Dain V

Reaction score
Dome springs off lockwood valley rd is loaded with pigs. Another good place for public land pig hunting is the johnson valley OHV area east of lucerne valley. Put in your time they are their.

M

Mule_Deer_Dreamin

Sorry about that, wrong place. I am a new hunter and got my locations mixed up. I was referring to La panza area and A zone in central ca region. I am hoping to get a nice pig out of there with a bow, preferably a descendent of the great black russian. What are the best altitudes to hunt for these big boar?

Reaction score
A strait answer would be hunt as close to the coast as possible to get the purest russian you can. In all actuallity Id forget the bow, get a rifle and hire a guide, Public land hogs are tough. Id say 1 in 5 chance at best of even seeing one during the better winter months. With a bow id say 1 in 150 chance of making a kill. Lots of other guys have may have a better finger on the public land pulse

weekender21

Reaction score
Some hogs in CA might have Russian genetics but none of them are pure Russian (except possibly on a high fenced operation). Hogs in CA are classified as feral hogs regardless of their ancestry. All hogs on public land should be considered a trophy, hold out for an all black monster boar if you want but you have to start somewhere! I'm certainly not picky. Spotted, striped, brown, tan, all taste the same! Good luck!

easymoney

Reaction score
All the "public spots" here in CA that hold pigs have been discussed extensively on JHO. Do a back search on it and you will find a load of info.
The pigs here on the central coast are of mixed genes, mainly feral not pure russian. And the areas around La Panza are mostly private ranches that don't allow any hunting, or are leased by guides. The closest public land being the Carrizo Plains and the LPNF, neither are known for great success and get hammered hard.
IMHO, save your money, hire a guide and up your odds for a sure score, plus as a newbie you will learn what works and how to do it right. Most guides hunt the private ranches not on public land because the numbers of animals is greater, the food or water is permanent and there is less pressure on the game.
There are some outfitters and guides who are sponsers here and the hunters own stories or photos speak for themselves...

bohunter3

Reaction score
Dain V,
Can you email me with your contact email? I was thinking of going up to d13 to hunt. Just wanted to ask some general questions about the areas you mentioned.
thanks, Phil bohunter7@cox.net

Dain V

Reaction score
Bohunter3, I was joking about the pigs. Although I have seen some pig sign in d13, mostly on private land, some on public, it was very few and far between.

bohunter3

Reaction score
Oh,MAN....
I was hoping, but after looking at some photos of the area.. well you already know.
Im down here in the San Diego Area, Have never been to either of the areas you mention, So I didnt know. You Got me. :)

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I've seen a ton of dead pigs and pig pics from public land in CA and not one I'd consider black russian boar. You're gonna have to hunt a high fence ranch that has euro boars to get one IMHO.

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
im glad you said it boss and not me:pig-laughing:thanks for keeping it real:patiotic-wavin-flag

evlaz

Reaction score
Random question on the topic, but has anyone seen black russians in Hawaii? The scariest black razor back I've seen was on Kauai. I was on an ATV and it scared the hell out of me.

Everything in California on public land has been regular feral pigs.

easymoney

Reaction score
As to the chances on seeing a true russian boar in CA, I'm with jesse. I haven't seen one in over 30 years of chasing wild pigs here in CA.
IMHO it would be very slim at best, unless on a private put and take ranch.
Up here many many years ago, there were some that escaped fom the Hearst property, but they have interbred with the feral ones.

sdbowyer

Reaction score
I've allways been perplexed as to why the term "Russian" wild boar is so commonly used in the first place. It has certainly caught on with a lot of people though as a reference to pure European sus scrofa.

easymoney

Reaction score
sdbowyer,
I think it is a name given by those who planted them in eastern US, first.
Out here in CA we call em dinner...

weekender21

Reaction score
SDBOWYWR,

I've wondered the same thing, I always thought "Eurasian" hogs were different from "Russian" hogs the way the term gets tossed around. Come to find out, everyone has been referring to the Eurasians as Russians, I wonder where that got started?

Hunter0331

Reaction score
Hunting Boar in D-13

Anybody taken or had the opportunity to even see one of these boars in California? I heard they were elusive but definitely up there. I am going to be hunting D13 hard this year and was wondering if I should hold out and hunt hard for a black Russian. What do you all think?
I am not sure where you're planning on hunting D-13, but if you're gonna hunt near Pyramid Lake then you're best bet is across the I-5 towards Liebre Gulch you can hunt that area as well, my buddy who's a sheriff have come across some hunters out in D-11 near Liebre Gulch with a nice boar. Some of these boars come from Tejon Ranch, this is not the first time I've heard of boars being taken out of that area.

Out in Frazier Park there is a gunstore, the only gunstore in that town and spoke to the owner and he also mentioned about D-11 boars near Liebre Gulch.

Good luck!!

blazintowers

Reaction score
anybody going in search of these elusive hogs in this area call me. Hunter O3301 do you hunt this area? :bounce-aqua::)
oh yeah-pm me i'll give you my #...

Last edited:

Hunter0331

Reaction score
Hunting Lebre Gulch for hogs

anybody going in search of these elusive hogs in this area call me. Hunter O3301 do you hunt this area? :bounce-aqua::)
oh yeah-pm me i'll give you my #...
Blazintowers Sir,
I'll be honest with you. I have never hunter Liebre Gulch, however I have hunted Liebre Mnt, which is just the Mnt Above not for pigs but for Bear and Deer all of my hog hunting is done out at VAFB.

I have driven up and down them antena roads but could never find anything, then again I did not get off and walk.

The owner of that gunstore out at Frazier Park knows exactly. Best bet call him and ask for a certain weapon of choice then break the ice on them hogs.
I on the other hand, I am stationed out in TN. But will hunt in September out in CA.

Best of luck.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom