black tail vs mulie behavior

leftyhunter

Reaction score
My son drew the J-10 tag at FHL and I thought that the deer at FHL were mulies and then I figured I have to read some mulie books. I was wondering since FHL 's terrain is similar to say the Santa Monica Mtns ( although FHL is not has steep) would blacktail behavior be similar to mulies? I know black-tails can live in dense forests but FHL is quite a bit more open compared to say the Cascades.

Thanks;
Leftyhunter

ltdann

Reaction score
Depending on which biologist you listen too, the deer at FHL are California Mulies, Pacfic hybrids or blacktails. they have some of the charateristics of mule deer, but I'd say more blacktail than anything.

Having said that, behaviour wise, they are much different then say the blacktail you'd find running around the arboral forest of the PACNORWEST. They do like the thick stuff, but you just as likely to find them in the open, near an escape route.

Look around the fringes and the edges. If you can find water, look for a trail that leads to it. FHL is currently pretty dry and if you can set up in hidey hole covering the water, they will come (sooner or later).

They're pretty curious animals, and will rarely run more than 150 yds before turning to check the backtrail. Some times a whistle/grunt/call will make them stop and look. Thats the shot opportunity. I call that the mulie genetic defect.

As a rule, if you spot a nice deer but aren't in a good position, they're likly to come back to the same spot near the same time the next day, as long as you (or someone else) doesn't pressure them.

Don't expect a monster. A decent buck will go 120-140 and the top end of the scale is about 175 pds. You don't hunt blacktail for size, its for the sneakyness. Hands down, I'd say these coastal deer are the toughest to hunt because of that. Anyone here will tell you stories where deer have simple disappeared in an open field while they were locked into the binos. I call it "ghosting out".

The below document will give you everything you need to know.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/deer/docs/deerguide.pdf

hank4elk

Reaction score
As a rule, if you spot a nice deer but aren't in a good position, they're likly to come back to the same spot near the same time the next day, as long as you (or someone else) doesn't pressure them.

Don't expect a monster. A decent buck will go 120-140 and the top end of the scale is about 175 pds. You don't hunt blacktail for size, its for the sneakyness. Hands down, I'd say these coastal deer are the toughest to hunt because of that. Anyone here will tell you stories where deer have simple disappeared in an open field while they were locked into the binos. I call it "ghosting out".

WORD! ltdann hit it. And the real big ones are almost totally nocturnal. Look in the thickest P.O. patch! But, I have taken some of my biggest as they where moving in the middle of the day, when it's frying out. They move to get shade and a breeze.

leftyhunter

Reaction score
:wavin hello:

Thanks Id,

Any public land deer in Cal is a trophy for me. Until a a rich older lady is willing to pay for me to access private land for trophy critter with a guide at that I will take what I get.

Leftyhunter

Latest Posts

Top Bottom