Should blaze orange be mandatory?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kentuck

Reaction score
Most states require it. I would think that CA should step up and require at least a vest for gun deer hunters. I'll be hunting an area in the B zones that last time I was there had so many road hunters I was quite nervous still hunting the areas of timber there. An organge vest will always be on me there.

easymoney

Reaction score
IMHO, yes it should be mandatory for rifle season.
See the next post about the hunter being shot and killled out on the Carrizo Plains over the weekend. The sheer numbers of bodies out looking to shoot something, anything is dangerous, but the fact that it was probably by a fellow hunter is quite scary. Be safe, have fun and come home in one piece...

Bwana Turtle

Reaction score
That was my humorous post but seriously, I wouldn't venture out during a rifle season without it .

ZEKEDAWG

Reaction score
Ok I voted no. Here is why. I want to have the choice whether to wear it or not. Most of the time I don't see other hunters, maybe one -two guys out in the woods and when I do I explain my "plan to them "so we all know where the others are, road hunters are a different story. Hunter orange isn't going to stop a freak accident. Now if I was in an area that was crawling with people, I would wear it whether it was required or not. You only had the option of yes or no and out of those two I choose no. I would wear a hat or a small vest during rifle season if it were required, and not complain. Bow season, I like to be all camo. But in this world where big brother pretty much mandates or dictates to us what we can and can't do, i find it refreshing to be able to make my own choice.

Question is how many of you wear it even though it isn't required? Like I said, i will wear it when there are alot of people in the area or if I know it is a popular spot.

Even if you were wearing orange there are many places here in california, where you can't see a person 20 yards away whether they are wearing orange or not.

Backcountry

Reaction score
I voted NO too...

Mind you, on public land in CA I always wear a blaze vest in rifle season (with "break-up" branch camo overlay), but never during bow season... on private land I never wear it as there isn't supposed to be anybody else on the land.

How often are hunters shot by other hunters in CA? I don't hear about it too often...

***edited to add*** check that, just read the thread about the hunter getting shot at Carrizo... sounds fishy and may not be a true "hunting" accident, so who knows.

The real reason I voted NO is because if it is made mandatory, I fear that the people writing the rules and regulations will be non-hunters (think about the idiots that write the stupid gun laws, they sure aren't knowledgeable about guns)... and if non-hunters write the regs, I fear that the only thing allowed will be a head-to-toe blaze orange bunny suit... you wear that in A-zone heat and there are going to be some heat stroke deaths!

I'm happy with having the choice and I always wear it during rifle season on public land.

Backcountry

Mel Carter

Reaction score
I like the idea of being able to choose when I wear it, and where. Like Backcounty said, If i'm on private land, and I know nobody else is there, I won't wear it. But, when i'm up in X3B, I probably will. I think it's a good idea to wear atleast a hat, but I still would want to make that choice myself.

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
I voted NO.

If you are stupid enough to hunt in an area with 10 billion other "shoot at it if it moves" hunters, it equals population control.

I hunt where nobody else is. If it's opening morning and the world starts to decend upon an area I'm hunting- I'm gone.

I hunted out by Mc Cain Valley one year. Got out there, slept in the back of the truck and woke up to three guys walking up the road at 2 am with guns and spotlights. When the sun finally showed any signs of coming up it sounded like WWIII had just begun. I could hear off balance rounds flying through the air. I have no clue what the hell people were shooting at because the DFG warden I ran into said nobody checked a deer out of there.

Scared me real bad - never again.

BUT-

The last thing I want is some brain dead Bobby the Buerocrat telling me what I have to wear when I go hunting. Common sense tells me what I need to be wearing.

hamradiofan

Reaction score
While my first reaction is to agree with JDC and his position about the "Government" mandating something like Blaze Orange, common sense tells me that it only takes one misplaced bullet and grave consequences can occur.

We wear seatbelts in cars because while they do not guarantee survival, they do increase our odds. We take preemptive medical care like shots and vaccines, because they increase our odds. Why not when you are potentially putting yourself at risk. IE walking into areas with large concentrations of armed people.

I have worn a blaze orange hat or vest as long as I have been hunting. I do not believe it has had any negative effect on my hunting success.

Personally, I believe that it would not be a bad thing. I always wear some amount of Blaze Orange. And I can assure you, my 5 year old son is wearing a blaze jacket or shirt when I have him in the woods during any hunting season. Why, because it makes sense!!!!!

Good Topic!

Andy

P.S. After some consideration, I believe bow season would be an exception.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
I always wear it. Camo has become too popular these days. I have a hard time seeing other hunters because of it. I had a hunter directly across from me one afternoon up near highland lakes. I never knew he was there until several hours later when he removed his glove.

MNTNMAN

Reaction score
With the amount of new unskilled, uneducated (saftey), hunters growing in the areas that I hunt, the amount of orange I wear increases every year.

When a guy walks within 20 feet of you and never sees you, it gets a little scary. I don't care if others wear it or not, but I sure as hell do.

DanV

Reaction score
I think its a real good idea . On this last A zone opener I had a hunter downrange about 500 yds from me , never saw him until he put on his blaze cap. He was just sitting in REAL thick brush glassing the opposing slope . Most likely I could not have seen him with a spotting scope . That blaze cap sent me elsewhere and easily could have saved his life.

Mandatory blaze vest or shirt would be even better especially considering how many hunters we have in this state.

scr83jp

Reaction score
Blaze Orange should be mandatory in Cal just like it is in Colorado and Utah to provide a measure of safety when afield.There are too many under educated "hunters" in the field these days that I don't trust.Last year my son was hunting the Mojave National Preserve for quail and he'd never seen so many hunters so he wore his blaze orange to keep safe & be visable.I've hunted in hot weather with a light weight orange vest that didn't add any heat to my system.I have heavy weight vests for cold climates.

bayedsolid

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
This poll suprises me. Of 31 votes right now 18 say yes, mandatory. When I'm out in the field, if I took a count of the first 31 hunters I saw, there wouldn't be anywhere near 18 of them wearing blaze orange. I would be lucky to see 5 wearing blaze orange. I'd really like to see the stats on a state that made blaze orange mandatory to see if it made a difference. A guy in camo sure doesn't have any part of him that looks like a game animal so if someone shoots at him I don't think the orange is going to save him.

Freedivr2

Reaction score
ABSOLUTELY I wish they'd make it Mandatory!!! Particularly for anyone hunting dove, quail or pheasant, as these are where we have most of the "accidents" every year (shooters swinging on game).

You might go shooting in an area where you think there are few hunters and you're gunna be OK without it. The problem is, when you're out in the field and someone sees you move, they might be stupid enough to think you're a deer or a bear or a pig. It HAS happened. Case in point, some posts just a couple months ago, made right here on JHO in the hog hunting forum, about a fella archery hunting Tejon ranch in full camo and road hunters not seeing him and shooting at pigs he was stalking. It HAS happened.

Like a Colorado warden once told me, "Blaze orange is the cheapest life insurance you can get, it's just plain stupid not to wear it while out in the field".

As far as deer hunting goes and folks being concerned about deer seeing it, there's a good article about what colors deer can and can't see in todays Western Outdoor News. Check it out..........blaze orange looks gray to them, they're colorblind to colors in the red spectrum.

BTW, this is a good subject to bring up just prior to the upcoming dove season. Blaze orange doesn't stop bullets, though, so a reminder to us all to encourage others to keep that muzzle UP and don't swing at game that is less than a 30 degree angle above you. When people swing on low flying birds they are taking a huge risk of shooting someone. Remind your partners to keep their muzzles up, please!!!! A final word to the wise; Don't be caught dead without blaze orange.....

Mattk53

Reaction score
Here is my vote:
Yes on Public land, No on private. I think it should be up to you on your own property! Just my $.02.

Matt

Latest Posts

Top Bottom