Should blaze orange be mandatory?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

D-Zone

Reaction score
I dont' think it should be mandatory, i don't believe it isnt' necessary if people just used a little common sense, i know that will only happen in a perfect world. Personally I either wear a blaze orange vest or just a blaze orange hat. I dont want to be an accident. You can never be too careful, especially after hearing about the Carrizo accident. I have a few hunting buddies that will never put on blaze orange, their stupid if u ask me. Thats just my

gc4279

Reaction score
I think it should be mandatory for the rifle season. It was'nt that long ago that most of the hunters wore at least some orange. The last few years I see it less and less. It seems I see more camo than orange these days and I think thats just asking for trouble. It will take a few accidents back to back to make people wake up and remember why they started wearing orange to begin with.

Piker

Reaction score
Last year while Deer hunting in D6 I heard something wiz right by my head. Too close and I'll never forget that rush of fear that it instilled in me. That was no humming bird either. Wear an orange hat by choice, or chance wearing a red suit, not by choice.

easymoney

Reaction score
IMHO, It should be mandatory for rifle season...
See the other post about a hunter being killed out on the Carrizo Plains over the weekend.
I personally gave up hunting during rifle season here in Kalifornia after being shot at by some *%* holes shooting from their vehicle, accross a road at who knows what. The question is not if, but when these accidents will happen. When you have the sheer numbers of bodies wandering around, ready to blast any sound or movement they see or hear. We have to be ever alert and careful to police ourselves, as this is the very thing the ANTIS want to see... They would love to use accidents like this to stop all hunting or shooting sports.
So, be safe, have a good time and come home in one piece...

nofear25

Reaction score
I think that durin bow season u shoul have the choice of wearin blaze orange or not.... But durin rifle season you should have to wear blaze orange.... just my
nofear

rlwright

Reaction score
My vote would be Mandatory for the first 10 days of the season in certain areas. For socal D zones it should be a given to wear something highly visible. On the other hand if you are packing way back in the high sierras it is unnecessary, and impossible to enforce.

Backcountry

Reaction score
In California I always wear it during rifle season on public land. I never wear it during archery season or when rifle hunting on private land.

I say NO to mandatory blaze orange in California... I like choosing for myself what to wear.

How are you going to feel if Diane Feinstein and Barbara Boxer are the authors of the bill to make blaze orange mandatory for all hunters because (just for instance) let's say the guy that got killed at Carrizo was a prominent liberal trial lawyer and they are doing it "in tribute" and/or "because hunters can't be safe on their own", and the law that results is head-to-toe solid blaze orange coverage. Willing to take your chances with that? I'm not.

I realize F&G is more-or-less it's own entity, but who writes the gun laws in California? Yep, that would be liberals that have ZERO experience with firearms and are talking out their caboose about stuff they know nothing about. Stranger things could happen.

Please, allow me to choose to wear blaze orange on public lands, but don't force it on me.

Backcountry

WinMag1

Reaction score
Blaze Orange for sure. Too many trigger happy hunters come out of the woodwork during rifle season and look to shoot at anything that moves
They say that Deer are color blind so for your own safety, whatever you can do to aid in other hunters seeing you gets my vote 100%

Big Moose

Reaction score
I prefer not to wear orange. It's my choice and may not be right in every situation. I too have been shot at in California. It' not funny. Why some guys will shoot at anything that moves is beyond me. I've had guys look at me through their scopes when I did have orange on. It sucks and puts a chill up my spine. I'm not sure if the orange just makes a better target or what.
That said , I need all the help I can get when out in the woods hunting. Deer will make you out much quicker with the orange on. I do wear it when it's mandatory as in Colorado. If I had a choice, I would not.
I like to be ethical when hunting and have no problem following the rules. I would hope everyone else does also ( please don't shoot me ! ).

BDB

Reaction score
While I agree with Backcountry's sentiments 100%, I will disagree related to rules. It is a sad but true reality that in todays society (idiots with no common sense in all walks of life) that you have to deal with the lowest common denominator most of the time. Should you have to state on the WD40 can "not for internal ingestion"? NO, but the reality is due to legalities you should.

I have no problem with manditory hunter orange. Maybe that came from growing up in an environment that always forced it, but I have no issue with forcing it.

larrysogla

Reaction score
One wounded or killed person is one too many. Murphy's law says that "if anything can go wrong, IT WILL". How many times in my 35 years of driving have I looked left & right &
seen no cars, then just as I step on the gas to cross the intersection I hear a loud horn to my left & it is an old, big Buick which I did not see coming in from my left not even 1/4 block away. What we see is what our brain interprets for us & we sometimes see what "WE WANT" to see(brain override) & not what is really out there. Gents & Ladies, it is called a "hunting accident". If blaze orange will keep me out of the slammer, hey!!! I vote yes!!! 'Nuff said.
larrysogla.

Big_C

Reaction score
I'm with Backcountry on this. I'm sick and tired of being told what to do by politicians and of being viewed as a potential terrorist by my government just because I am a gun owner. I don't want to have my life micro-managed by people who take great delight in telling me that the things I enjoy are not to be enjoyed.

Yeah, I wear blaze because I know there are irresponsible idiots out there and I don't want to make my wife a widow. But that's my choice. If that causes me to lose a deer (which I don't believe) at least I'll live to hunt another day.

C

Jake

Reaction score
I dont know if I would like to see it as mandatory, but based on my experience in California I think that you should wear it.

In my case, I usually dont hunt the rifle opener, I mainly hunt during the week, but I wear blaze orange atleast until I get 2-3 miles from the road and road hunters. If I see any hunters or signs of hunters from that point I'll at least keep an orange hat on.

Mike

Latest Posts

Top Bottom