Blue Grouse / Quail Season

hunter mike

Reaction score
It is still a while but does anyone have the date of the quail opener?  And the general Grouse season?  I can't wait to get some of these great tasting birds.

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Mike, in most of the state the general quail opener (for all species) is the 3rd Saturday of Oct (19th this year). Eastern Sierras & Northern Calif has 2 opening dates in September. 1st date for mountain quail only and the 2nd date for all species.

Grouse normally opens the 2nd Saturday in Sept, however I'm not positive on that.

I can't believe its getting so close again either. But I do love it.  

Good Hunting
Frank

songdog

Reaction score
How far south in CA can you find reasonable grouse hunting?  I'm assuming it's well above the Bay Area/Sacramento but figured it's worth asking.  I love hunting them in ID but would be interested to see if I could do it after 5-6 hours in a car from SoCal?

Whoadog

Reaction score
Songdog,
 You are welcome to come up and chase grouse with me if you like but it may be furhter than you want to drive.

Brian

songdog

Reaction score
How far is that Brian?  You're in the Sacramento area, right?

Whoadog

Reaction score
 I am 20 minutes north of Sacramento on I-5 and where I hunt them is about 2 1/2 hours from my house.

Brian

hunter mike

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Frank.  I think you are correct on the second Saturday in Sept. seem like it from last year.  I do my grouse hunting (for Blue's) in Lassen County.  

songdog

Reaction score
Brian - that might be worth the drive just to see those dogs work.  Looks like it might still be a little while before I have one in the back yard.

Whoadog

Reaction score
If you want to see the dogs work a valley quail trip would be better.  I did lose what my friends considered my best dog the end of March but my 10 year old is still great and my 17 month old is coming along great and should be a machine by hunting season.  The blue grouse hunting is more like road hunting for deer because it is so thick where we hunt them, I do know a couple places where we could hunt them with the dogs and I may try that this year.

Brian

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
You're welcome, Mike.  I have been to Lassen a couple of times and is a nice area. Too far for me to chase birds though :)

Songdog, not sure how far south the grouse are, or much of anything else about them for that matter, unfortunately. I have seen them in the June Lake, Bodie & also Idaho as you have (while deer hunting). They are a neat bird!

hmmm... JHP grouse hunt, huh?!
Frank          

GSP

Reaction score
I would blaze through Reno, stop for gas in winnimuca, stop at owyhee river and jump some pheasant and hit Idaho for Grouse. Im always glad to get as far away from california as possible.

Top Bottom