Blue loctite or purple loctite for scope screws?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Ive always used blue, never tried the purple. Thy say its for small screws but one complaint i saw said it sets up fast and you have to dig it out if you have to remove the screws to adjust.

loctite_purple.JPG

ltdann

Reaction score
Go blue. The red/purple is a bear if you every need to take the screws back off.

#1Predator

Reaction score
Most scopes/mounts are tapped using a tapered tapping bit (creating an upside down pyramid shaped hole). This creates a very tight fit as the screw is tightened deeper into the hole. I worked four years in a gun shop and never used Loctite, finger nail polish, etc. on any scope mounts unless the customer asked for it. One caveat, use a torque screwdriver and follow the manufacturers directions regarding inch pounds of torque when tightening the screws, especially with aluminum rings/mounts.

Bubblehide

Reaction score
I always use the blue Loctite. The screws are totally secure, never back out, but are still removable.

Deluded

Reaction score
if you ever have an issue getting small set screw loose, try a GOOD soldering iron with a precise tip. It will heat the screw and soften up the loctite without damaging or even discoloring your equipment.

Top Bottom