BlueFin Tuna

lope1

Reaction score
I just had one of the best fishing trips of my life,  went out to Maryland.  I have been chasing the tuna the past two years with no success went out of NagsHead Last year ended up with some dolphin and a nice wahoo,  went to Louisana this spring to catch the yellow fin bite once again caught some fish but no tuna,  So we thought we'd try it again,  here are the results. http://communities.msn.com/JessesTrailCamP...amp;PhotoID=536 I'd like to thank the guys from the Instagator for the excellent trip

(Edited by lope1 at 7:12 am on Aug. 23, 2001)

Fubar

Reaction score
lope1  WOW nice fish! I was wondering if you could give me a few more details on your trip? How much do they charge? How big was the boat? How many people do they take at a time? How far did you have to go? What was the bait?       Thanx Fubar

Nino

Reaction score
Hey lope1 nice fish!  I went out last saturday out of Wachapreague Virginia which is just south of Ocean City Maryland. I assume you went out of O.C.  We landed 3 bluefin about 50-70 lbs each.  Lost one about the size of your biggest one when it circled under the boat and snapped the line.  We also caught 7 nice size albacore and 1 skipjack.  It was my first trip for tuna and it was awesome.  The albacore were big to me until I saw that first tuna.  Way cool.  I was going to wait until I got my pictures scanned before I said anything about the trip.  Our captain was in the tournament the week before and almost one a million dollar prize with a large marlin.  The mate said it was about a 7 footer and spit the hook as it jumped next to the boat and the angler stopped realing to admire the fish.

Fubar - details: 46' boat private charter, 6 people, $850 for day trip, out about 20-30 miles.

I think I'm ruined because fishing for white perch, croakers, blue fish and even rockfish on the bay can't even compare to these monsters.

lope1

Reaction score
The trip was $1200 they take up to six people,  The boat is 57 ft,  the crew was outstanding, I think we started out at 50 miles on the Hotdog lump,  after tearing up the tuna (or after having enough of them tearing us up) we targerted some marlin ended up a nice white marlin.  The fish ate trolled ballyhoo.  Growing up in South Florida, I have fished my whole life and never have had a trip that compares to this one.  

BlackWater

Reaction score
Tuna bite off of Maryland has been great this year, also the Albacore have moved in closer than in past years, picked up 9 a week ago.  I'll move my boat over to Wachapreaque June next year, if any in the area stop on by, might have an open chair.

Nino

Reaction score
Ed (Blackwater)

I definitely want to do another ocean trip next year. I'd enjoy meeting another forum member and will look you up.  That's a nice boat on your webpage.  Do you charter or just go out on your own?

Tony

BlackWater

Reaction score
Tony,   just myself/wife and a few friends and a mate.  Not all at the same time, but usually have room several times during the season.  I go out to mostly to the Washington Canyon area and inside lumps from there.   Hang on to my email addy and maybe we can meet down there and do a trip.  I'll relaunch around May30th- June 15th.

Top Bottom