Bobcat Attacks Decoy!!

Welby

Reaction score
That is an amazing story!  Also, some of the best photographs I've ever seen of a bobcat!

Just amazing.

Thanks for sharing.

SAW

Reaction score
  ToddP, That was absolutely awesome.It's a good thing he had a video camera because I don't think anyone would believe it.I would love to see that video.
                                            SAW

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
That's awesome. The pics really help tell the story.

One fall I was setting up a turkey decoy in a little clearing here in SoCal and a male mountain quail popped out of the manzanita bush and started giving the alert call. At first I thought he was alerting on me since I was moving around just 20 feet away but the quail was obliviuos to my presence and was looking the other way back into the brush. "What the heck", I thought. Why would he move toward me while alerting?

About that time I saw something stalking along the hill and it looked like a cougar in the shadows. I began to pucker real bad. Suddenly, a bobcat popped out of the manzanita and he faced off with the big quail like in a high noon showdown. The cat would move left and the quail would counter right. I would say they were about 15 feet apart the whole time. At first I was stunned to see this nature showdown happen so close. I was also dying for two reasons. I had a camera and a bobcat tag in my turkey vest. Which one to pull, the camera or the shotgun?

I went for the shotgun since the cat was in easy #4 turkey load range and he seemed to not even pay attention to me. As I eased up the gun up the cat must of sensed me and he trotted off into a close by bush. He kept an eye on the quail though and because  he was now out of my range I wasn't able to get off a shot.

The quail just wiped his brow off and slinked back into the ravine from where he had come from.

Tominator

Reaction score
I don't believe I would bother telling that if I didn't have the film to back it up! That is truly amazing!
Tominator

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
WOW what beautiful pics. I wonder if he was using a digital camcorder? That is an unreal hunt. What an experience that must have been.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom