Bobcat, Weasel, bearded hen...

gizz

Reaction score
I've been gone for a couple weeks and looks like you all have been busy!! Lot's of good pics your getting and I'll try and do some back-reading over the weekend. These pics are from a cam that was put out before we left on our hunting trip.(See Sign says Gone Hunting) The first pic is of a really nice PA bobcat, second is of a bearded hen and a young poult, and the third is some kind of weasel with a mouse in it's mouth. Enjoy!

Welby

Reaction score
Gizz, those are some really great photos.  Thanks for sharing those.

That sure is a big ol' cat!

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Gizz >> Dang that log sure gets some unique traffic. Great pic's. That bobcat is awesome.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hey gizz,
That's a GREAT bobcat pic!!  And catching the weasel with it's prey is cool.
Now that Arrowhead mentions it.... I always get fairly interesting pics around large fallen trees - old rotting ones seem to be the best.  Maybe they make a sort of noise free "highway" for animals to travel on??
Could be a good idea to include in Jesses camera plcement tips.

Archilochus

wapiti

Reaction score
Awesome pics Gizz!  Weasels are rare here.  I set a cam in elk country hoping to get a  bobcat....no luck, other than elk.  It was a great spot, a gap in a cliffline, huge trail.

gizz

Reaction score
Funny you mentioned it Wapiti - this setup was aimed at getting some bucks putting down some scrapes or rubbing the small saplings. If you look closely at the pics you can see the rubs on a lot of the small trees. There was only one pic of a very small 6 point in the whole set. That's the great thing with these cams, you never know what you'll get.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Luv the bobcat gizz. The turkey too, and the first weasel I think we'be had posted.

I see bobcats on logs a lot. Turkeys like to hop up on them too for some reason. Me?  I like to sit on them and rest my dogs awhile.

Kewl elk pics too Wapiti.

Jon Bain

Reaction score
Wow, nice Bob Kitty.  Never seen a weasel before.  Cool.  

I think I see an Elk with an ear tag.  Is that common?

wapiti

Reaction score
Yes, we are still in the restoration phase.  We have around 1500 now and will release another 600.  The released animals will have ear tags, some radio collars.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Gizz,

You have got to have more variety in your pix's than anyone on this Forum! ! ! !

What's the name of that Zoo in your neck of the woods (Penn's Woods I bet,  ha ha)   Just Kidding,  good job........

Tinhorn

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
Hey Gizz,

Great photo's!!! You are the captain at getting photo's of predators!! Those are some awesome photo's as usual! Thanks again!

Fubar

Reaction score
Gizz  I was just lookin at that turkey pic and was thinkin it might be a jake. Not a lot of feathers on its head. Just wonderin.    Thats a really nice Bobcat.       Fubar

gizz

Reaction score
You know Fubar, you might be right. We had seen a bearded hen over the summer with some young poult and with the young one in the pic I guess I didn't give the jake idea much thought. I have about 5 more pics of this setting with the "subject" in it and I'll try and get a better pic of her/him. I think I recall a better pic that shows the turkey looking like a hen. Let me see what I can find out...

wapiti

Reaction score
That's a hen, the wattles would be more prominent if it were a jake, and it would be more black.

Fubar

Reaction score
wapiti  I think it was cold and they shriveled up.       Fubar

wapiti

Reaction score
Short tail, brownish edging on body feathers, it's a hen.

A jake with a beard that length would be going into his second year and most likely in a gobbler group, not with hens and poults.

Sometimes they will mix but it is not usual.

StringShooter

Reaction score
Nice pics. I really like the bobcat. I was able to capture a bobcat pic last January and saw one while bowhunting this year but we are not able to hunt them in my Missouri county.

Top Bottom