Bobcat with the B-mag

Wino

Reaction score
I headed out to this Sunday to get a little hunting in. The plan was to call predators but I really just wanted to get outside and stretch my legs as my new job has me traveling all over the place and keeping me busy. 20 minutes into my first stand I see a large bird swooping in to hit my decoy. I was just about to pop a round off so it wouldn't steal my decoy. That happened 2 years ago on Palomar Mt. But I thought I'd watch and see what happened first. This wasn't a hawk. It was a big owl and he flew right over my decoy to smack the crap out of my foxpro. I guess this shows the difference between a hawk that hunts with his vision and an owl that hunts with his ears. He held it in his talons for a long time trying to figure out what is was. I had to finally get up and walk over there to scare him off it. Collected my gear and made a move. 2nd stand. 1 minute and 30 seconds into Snowshoe Hare HP a big bobcat came charging in and attacked my mojo critter decoy. It had the spinning fur ball in his mouth when I pulled the trigger. Headshot with a 20gr .17WSM. It was DRT. It was a big female. A lot bigger than the last one I got.

Wino

Last edited:

OPAH

Reaction score
Tan the Hide and try it fried !

[FONT=&quot]Maybe you're after their pelts. Maybe you're doing your part to combat an invasive species, like Asian carp populations that are growing at an alarming rate across the country and outcompeting native fish for food and habitat. Or maybe you're simply protecting your property and livestock against destructive varmints or dangerous predators. Whatever your reason, one thing is certain — these critters have to go. So when they do, what happens to the protein?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here are five plate-worthy animals that deserve a spot at — rather, on — the dinner table.[/FONT]
[h=3]1. Bobcat[/h][FONT=&quot]If you're an avid predator hunter, you've probably bagged your fair share of bobcats. But have you ever thought about eating them? More hunters choose to skin and tan the hides or use the carcass for bait but, for those who choose to eat bobcat, many claim the meat is delicious and (like the cliché for most things) "tastes like chicken."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The meat is surprisingly white and delicate, like pork tenderloin, and maintains a good, crispy sear when grilled. Some simply fry it up in an egg wash with seasoned flour or throw it in a slow cooker.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here's a recipe for barbecued bobcat from the October 2011 issue of Predator Xtremewhere the author, Keith Sutton, tried out three different recipes using the boneless loins, tenderloins and steaks. This recipe was his and his family's favorite of the bunch.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Save the trees for beavers, sign up for our E-Newsletter!

Please select a country United States Afghanistan Albania Algeria American Samoa Andorra Angola Anguilla Antarctica Antigua and Barbuda Argentina Armenia Aruba Australia Austria Azerbaijan Bahamas Bahrain Bangladesh Barbados Belarus Belgium Belize Benin Bermuda Bhutan Bolivia Bosnia and Herzegowina Botswana Bouvet Island Brazil British Indian Ocean Territory Brunei Darussalam Bulgaria Burkina Faso Burundi Cambodia Cameroon Canada Cape Verde Cayman Islands Central African Republic Chad Chile China Christmas Island Cocos (Keeling) Islands Colombia Comoros Congo Congo, the Democratic Republic of the Cook Islands Costa Rica Cote d'Ivoire Croatia (Hrvatska) Cuba Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Djibouti Dominica Dominican Republic East Timor Ecuador Egypt El Salvador Equatorial Guinea Eritrea Estonia Ethiopia Falkland Islands (Malvinas) Faroe Islands Fiji Finland France France, Metropolitan French Guiana French Polynesia French Southern Territories Gabon Gambia Georgia Germany Ghana Gibraltar Greece Greenland Grenada Guadeloupe Guam Guatemala Guinea Guinea-Bissau Guyana Haiti Heard and Mc Donald Islands Holy See (Vatican City State) Honduras Hong Kong Hungary Iceland India Indonesia Iran (Islamic Republic of) Iraq Ireland Israel Italy Jamaica Japan Jordan Kazakhstan Kenya Kiribati Korea, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Republic of Kuwait Kyrgyzstan Lao People's Democratic Republic Latvia Lebanon Lesotho Liberia Libyan Arab Jamahiriya Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Macau Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of Madagascar Malawi Malaysia Maldives Mali Malta Marshall Islands Martinique Mauritania Mauritius Mayotte Mexico Micronesia, Federated States of Moldova, Republic of Monaco Mongolia Montserrat Morocco Mozambique Myanmar Namibia Nauru Nepal Netherlands Netherlands Antilles New Caledonia New Zealand Nicaragua Niger Nigeria Niue Norfolk Island Northern Mariana Islands Norway Oman Pakistan Palau Panama Papua New Guinea Paraguay Peru Philippines Pitcairn Poland Portugal Puerto Rico Qatar Reunion Romania Russian Federation Rwanda Saint Kitts and Nevis Saint LUCIA Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Samoa San Marino Sao Tome and Principe Saudi Arabia Senegal Seychelles Sierra Leone Singapore Slovakia (Slovak Republic) Slovenia Solomon Islands Somalia South Africa South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands Spain Sri Lanka St. Helena St. Pierre and Miquelon Sudan Suriname Svalbard and Jan Mayen Islands Swaziland Sweden Switzerland Syrian Arab Republic Taiwan, Province of China Tajikistan Tanzania, United Republic of Thailand Togo Tokelau Tonga Trinidad and Tobago Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan Turks and Caicos Islands Tuvalu Uganda Ukraine United Arab Emirates United Kingdom United States Minor Outlying Islands Uruguay Uzbekistan Vanuatu Venezuela Viet Nam Virgin Islands (British) Virgin Islands (U.S.) Wallis and Futuna Islands Western Sahara Yemen Yugoslavia Zambia Zimbabwe

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]You've already killed it, so why not try eating it? As Sutton put it, "It would be shameful to waste such delectable game."[/FONT]
[h=4]Grilled Bobcat With Memphis-Style Barbecue Rub (pictured above)[/h]
  • Boneless loins from one bobcat
  • 1/2 cup sweet paprika
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 4 teaspoons salt
  • 4 teaspoons onion powder
  • 4 teaspoons black pepper
  • 4 teaspoons white pepper
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
[FONT=&quot]Mix all the seasonings, and sprinkle on all sides of the meat to form a thick coating. Allow to stand 30 minutes at room temperature until the rub appears wet, then season heavily again, pressing the barbecue rub into the meat so it sticks.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Slow-cook on the upper rack of a gas grill, turning frequently, until the meat is done to taste. Serve with your favorite barbecue sauce on the side[/FONT]

OPAH

Reaction score
Hey Wino Menifee is just south of the University and over the rail road tracks correct?

OPAH

Reaction score
They are constantly evading me, I'd say that is pretty evasive wouldn't you ?

Wino

Reaction score
Well I suppose I’m south of several universities and over lot of different rail roads tracks. Can you be a little more specific?

OPAH

Reaction score
OK passed Sun City, Minifee
jus was thinking if you didn't want to try the meat, I would .
I'm right around Ontario, not too far

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Wino, wtg brother what a great looking cat. Thnx 4 sharing your pics and bobcat hunting adventure ,pretty cool!....
Tra
P.s I can picture opah driving around looking for road kill for some reason ...lol.. tra

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

TheGDog

Reaction score
Well... Congratulations!...I'm glad somebody had luck for Bobcats on Sunday. I just have roughed-up feet to show for it.

BTW, which manufacturers make lead-free for the WSM?

Wino

Reaction score
I don't know. I don't plan on shooting it.

Wino

Reaction score
OK passed Sun City, Minifee
jus was thinking if you didn't want to try the meat, I would .
I'm right around Ontario, not too far
Yes. Right next to Sun City (or as we like to call it....City of the Near Deads).
You know I was thinking about eating this one. The last one I skinned I was thinking that the meat looked good. Very light in color like pork or even Chicken. I was going to make sloppy joes out of it. I'll let you know what I end up doing and if I have leftovers. I won't be skinning it till Sunday. Gotta do it while the wife is at work. She down with fish, rabbit, birds and deer. But I little squeamish around the bobcats.

OPAH

Reaction score
Some say it is sick. Others say it is gross. Still other people think that eating Road Kill is the ultimate in recycling, "Waste not, want not", they say.
Whatever your beliefs, you will need good recipes to make your meal its best. That is where DeadFood.com comes in!
Find a recipe for all of your various road kill meats and other "exotic" meats. Is there a recipe missing from the collection? If so, submit your recipe.

A joke from My daughter foer you:
Why did the Bobcat sleep on the road ? IT got tired !
horses mouth wide open.jpg

Last edited:

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with road kill i have eaten it before but only venison when I was much younger and lived on a farm in upstate out in the sticks on a very dark back country road with nothing but farm land and woods and plenty of deer herds so quit a few times people smacked into deers crossing the road at night where I lived including my mom who hit or crashed avoiding them 2 or 3 times over the years especially during winter months so the deer meat won't spoil in those temps and the venison is great especially the jerky...
Of course I was young the first time I ate it but they didn't tell me it was roadkill till after I ate it and said it was great, what can I say that a redneck 4u....lol....tra

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

dthome

Reaction score
Yes. Right next to Sun City (or as we like to call it....City of the Near Deads).
You know I was thinking about eating this one. The last one I skinned I was thinking that the meat looked good. Very light in color like pork or even Chicken. I was going to make sloppy joes out of it. I'll let you know what I end up doing and if I have leftovers. I won't be skinning it till Sunday. Gotta do it while the wife is at work. She down with fish, rabbit, birds and deer. But I little squeamish around the bobcats.
That’s the spirit! I bet you’ll be surprised at how good it is. Just cook thoroughly.

Last edited:

OPAH

Reaction score
Why not just say all Game meat shouid be cooked thoroughly ?

Wino

Reaction score
Because cooking venison thoroughly would be like cooking a good steak well done. You'd ruin it. Predators, pigs, and bears....need to be cooked thoroughly due to the risk of trichinosis.

Top Bottom