bobcat

Bowfever

Reaction score
Buckman

They came through just fine,  nice pics.  I just developed my 3rd roll out of my cam..  It is always exciting to see the pics.  I have yet to get a pic of anything but deer.  I have gotten about 50 pics of deer and I think only 1 picture with nothing in it.  I know there are bobcat and coyote in the area that I have the cam???

Thanks for the pics

Bowfever

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi buckman,
That bobcat pic at the top of the page looks like one of those infra-red photos - did you use IR film of is it just odd lighting??

Archilochus

buckman0

Reaction score
i use kodak max versatility 400asa flim. what i think happen is the pic was taken right at dawn with a lite fog out . i also used a graphics doctor program to get it clearer than it was .

(Edited by buckman0 at 4:03 am on Oct. 28, 2001)

rlwright

Reaction score
I would like to get into varmit hunting and have a few questions. First is my .22WMR sufficient enough for a bobcat? Second how do you skin 'em? Two out of the three times I hunted Willow creek I saw a bobcat, maybe the same one, and both times it was well in range for my shotgun. I didn't shoot it because I didn't have a plan of what to do with it after.

yotegetter

Reaction score
rlwright,

Welcome to JHP! You are very limited with a .22 mag. There is almost no room for error when using this caliber. It is possible though if you take a shot at short range of about up to 75 yards and take a head shot, which is a small target with Bobcats.
I would suggest you go to the Arrowhead hunt since you live in SoCal. There are a lot of knowledgeable guys/gals here in Jesse's that would be able to help you out and show you the ropes. Also look at the different threads and you will find tons of info. Also Jesse has the Bobcat section that will give you more info on them and how to skin em. It's sort of like skinning a coyote.

Happy Hunting!!

(Edited by yotegetter at 9:07 am on Jan. 15, 2002)

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
Don't forget that you do need tags for bobcat.  They also have a season so they're not the kind of critter that you can shoot whenever you happen to see one.

I'd council against the .22WMR... it's just too marginal a caliber for bobcat or coyote, even at close ranges.  However, you have a great predator hunting tool in your 12GA.  Set that up with some #4 Buck and you've got a tool for an awful lot of California predator hunting.  In fact, using the scattergun you can hunt areas that not only hold animals but get passed up by guys with scoped .22-250's because the cover is too tight for them to get a shot.

rlwright

Reaction score
Using the shotgun sounds like a good idea. What choke should be used for #4 buck?
24" or 28" barrel?
I've never shot with buck shot, whats the range?
I assume to get a good pelt, aim for the head.

songdog

Reaction score
Just saw a bobcat run across the dirt road behind the house.  Took me by surprise that the "coyote" was crossing the road rather than walking up and down it like they normally do.  Then I realized that it didn't have a tail and when it hit the light it was obvious what it was.  Too bad it wasn't in season but even then, it didn't even pause for a second on the road... no shot.

songdog

Reaction score
mid October thru the end of February.  Can't do much more than look right now but I've noticed that they seem to hang around the same areas that you see them near in the off season.

Gus

Reaction score
I shot a bobcat a few years ago during deer season.  I was sitting at the base of a tree when I heard something walking in the leaves and when I turned around he was about 30 yards away and walking towards me.  Boy am I glad I seen him before he seen me.  He might have seen me and was coming in for a closer look, but I stopped him before he got a closer look.  It was a male and weighed in at 29 pounds.  Got a full body mount and my dogs would not even go by it at first, then they got used to it looking at them.

smokin54

Reaction score
I have seen them a nuimber of times down in the wister area around the cannels while I was fishing . They never showed any fear of humans , I drove my pickup to within of 30 yards of one pair and stoped and the never changed pace from a easy trot.

RIFLEMAN

Reaction score
That's another reason to houndhunt...while you guys can only watch them, us houndhunters get to tree 'em all year round in most of the state.  If you guys do intend to take one when you see it during the season, make sure you bought your tags.  They might be nongame, but they still are heavily regulated due to the CITES listing.  

Gus,
    A 29-pound cat is good sized and definitely worth mounting.  Please tell me that you didn't have it on its hind legs leaping at a quail...

EVAN III

Reaction score
   Songdog,

Bobcat is on my list this year, so I guess insted of going all the way to FHL, I'll just stop by your house!!! Just the ruffle my feathers, could you post a pic of your bobcat mount.........?

EVAN III

Gus

Reaction score
Rifleman, no it is not leaping at quail, just a basic standing up mount looking to the left.  One of my friends was starting out in taxidermy and he did the mount for me and only charged me $100.  He did one heck of a job and I think saved me a lot of money.  

RIFLEMAN

Reaction score
Ugh, songdog, the bane of taxidermy!  

Gus,

Yes indeed, you saved yourself a whole lot of money.  Maybe you could post some pictures?  

EVAN III

Reaction score
   AHHH!! You Da Man Songdog. Thanks for the pic, By the way where did you get that done? I'm looking to have one mounted this year ( providing I get one), And about how much did it cost?
:dancinred: That is a great looking mount!!!!!!!

EVAN III

(Edited by EVAN III at 5:59 am on July 19, 2002)

limit7

Reaction score
Now let me get this straight.  From Songdog's livingroom I can shoot coyote, bobcat, badger, rabbits, and quail.   Are there any elk, moose or bear?  How much for your services?  It might be cheaper to hunt from your livingroom than going on my annual trip to Colorado.  

That is an awesome bobcat mount!  Did you get it done in the area?  I have a couple of critters I need to have mounted.

Top Bottom