Bobcats

Sky Buster

Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone hunts bobcats.  ive never hunted them, but ive been getting kinda interested.  i have no idea how to hunt them.  is it legal?  is there a season?  wheres the best places to find em?  are the calls used the same as coyote calls?  like i said, ive never done it...never seen one actually, but any info would be great.  thanks alot.

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
California bobcat season is October 15 thru February 28.  You need tags for them if taken under a regular hunting license.  Tags come in a book of 5 and cost $10.25, you can get the tags at a DFG office.  Season limit is 5 bobcat.

Generally use the same calls as coyote.  Make stands longer, maybe about 30 minutes.

Bill W

Reaction score
It's pretty much the same as coyote hunting with a few differences.   They come in much. much much slower.  I've called six or seven in and I've never seen one doing anything other than slowly sneaking in.  Because they are so much sneakier,  I think you need to be much more careful.  This includes using a face net and full camo. I also think you need to focus on areas with more cover.  Not a jungle, but not rolling open hills or open desert either.  I also think it is much tougher to call one in if there are two people as opposed to one. I've taken lots of beginners along and called in coyotes for them, but I've never had a bobcat come in (that I saw anyway) where I had a second guy with me.  I don't know if it's that beginners tend to fidget and scratch their nose, etc so much more that a cat coming in slowly tends to get a chance to see that stuff, but I've never called one in unless I was alone, in full camo, and very patient (up to 45 minutes stands).  

The other big factor is to call where the cats are. While there are a quite a few in Southern Cal., I think you are much better off driving the extra distance to get into North Santa Barbra County or further. Everything north of the city of Santa Barbara (say lake Cachuma area northward) all the way up up past King City and beyond, is lousy with bobcats compared to So. Cal.  Try the areas around Santa Ynez, solvang, the Pozo area, Fort Hunter Ligget, Northern end of the Carrizo plain, etc.  All of those are places where there are enough cats around that you actually have a good chance of seeing one if you're just slowly driving the backcountry roads in the morning or evening. In Southern Califirnia you can drive the backcountry for years between cat sightings.  Just a lot more cats in central Cal IMO.

Lots of private land up there (but enough public to get the job done) so be sure you know where you are.

Bill

Whoadog

Reaction score
 I was quail hunting yesterday and seen a bobcat that I think was stalking a covey of quail because I seen the bobcat then my dogs were immediately on the covey.  This is the second time I have seen a bobcat in this area so I may need to get a tag, I would love to have one in my livingroom.

Brian

songdog

Reaction score
Check out some of the other threads in the Varmint section about bobcats.  There's some good stuff there.

Plenty of them out there but it takes a lot more work to put one on a stretcher than a coyote.

(Edited by songdog at 3:01 pm on Dec. 17, 2001)

songdog

Reaction score
Like I said in that earlier post... the neighbor just got a scanner for Christmas so if these get irritating just say so.

Here are a few SoCal bobcat pics in case you've ever been interested in trying to call them.

This bobcat snuck in to about 10 feet from me without me seeing him.  I stood up to leave and took a half step to the left and saw him crouched and ready to go.  I slowly raised my rifle only to realize that I had the scope on 7x (never do that again) and all I saw was a big pink nose.  Either way, he ended up on a stretcher but it got interesting for a while.

This kitty and mountain quail came from Mt. Laguna down in the San Diego area.  

Here's another that came from the Templin Hwy area of the Angeles Nat'l Forest and the same one on a stretcher with a couple of fox and coytoes.

Just a couple of pretty ones to get the blood pumping...

(Edited by songdog at 6:47 pm on Jan. 5, 2002)

Thonzberry

Reaction score
songdog, It looks like you have a nice callection of skins. I need to hook up with you and go wack some yotes one of these days.
I noticed the racks thats you have the skins on, did you make those yourself?
And what are they made of?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom