Bout knocked myself plum out

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
You'd think I'd of learned the first go round not to do this, but the skull is hard and thick thank god.

I have a Crooked Horn Outfitters Slide-N-Flex harness that holds my binos on my chest real good and tight. They work fine except when you jump big ditches. I first found this out quail hunting near the Salton Sea a few years back. The big rains in the desert there create these deep chasms you sometimes have to jump over to get where you want to go. This one gully was wider than most and it dropped a few feet on the far side. I pondered going around but there was no way I could see.

I backed up and leapt like one of them Hollywood stuntman. All was fine in flight, I cleared the gap with ease, it was the landing that went awry. Upon hitting the other bank the heavy binos continued in motion due to the elastic straps. (one of them theorums from science class remember?). Another theorum is that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Yuppers, them heavy Leicas went straight out about 4 feet and recoiled back crowning me right betweenst the eyes. Down I staggered, the lights flickering on and off. Felt just like a good punch to the nose.

After the tweety bird singing stopped I checked for blood real quick and any peanut gallery that would be snickering their approval at my downfall. Good, no witnesses, so I picked myself up, dusted myself off and went on my way.

No more stunt jumps for me with them binos on, my beak can't take it.

One Track

Reaction score
Glad you survived Skipper. Would have loved to seen that in slow motion.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. (but wish I could have been there to see it!)

Gunslingergirl

Reaction score
I know I shouldn't laugh, but is it okay if I at least giggle a litle bit.

I'm glad you're all right, but I'm with CS, I wish I could have seen it.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
I'm searching YouTube now.......... film at 11:00

ranchwife

Reaction score
Aah, gotta love Newton's 1st and 3rd laws!! Video of that would have been great to use in my science classes!!

Orygun

Reaction score
Down goes Jesse! Down goes Jesse!

My binos don't attack me as much as them skinny little branches that give you a good whippin when you pass through.

Sodhunter

Reaction score
The book is always better than the movie! Sorry but that was a hilarious picture! A good lesson that I'm glad you discovered before I did!

Speckmisser

Reaction score
By the way, even while I'm laughing I remember spurring my horse into a gallop while wearing my Bushnell range-finding binoculars (about 2 pounds) on my Crooked Horn Bino-buddies... and getting clonked in the chin about three times before I realized what was hitting me.

Those things should come with a warning label!

barel74

Reaction score
I think you guys need to re-adjust your bino systems

Kentuck

Reaction score
Reminds me of the time I learned not to kill a rattlesnake with an old dead tree limb. Thank God for daypacks and someone standing behind me.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom