Bow hunting squirrels

Wino

Reaction score
I took a walk with my bow and a few arrows the other day. I haven't hunted much with my a bow since my father, who only hunted with a bow, passed away in 2011. So I was pretty rusty. I was using g5 small game heads and my targets were jack rabbits and ground squirrels. These heads look wicked. I saw a lot of jacks but I couldn't get close enough. And the ones I did get close to were always to close to a pile of rocks. I didn't want to blow up my arrow against a rock if I missed so I held off. But I did see a ton of squirrels out in the field. Took a lot a long shots on these. The g5 sgh helped out a lot by not letting my arrow get buried under the grass or skip along the ground. I finally connected with a squeak after about 20 shots. A young'n that stood up on his mound to try to figure out what I was. The arrow hit him in the middle of his body and sent him flying the the air. DRT! Even with out any penetration there was still a lot of damage. The lower half of the body was just crushed. I hit another one that day with a glancing blow but the it still managed to get down to it into his hole. It was a fun day but I definitely need more practice with the bow.
Wino
View attachment 87838
View attachment 87839

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you for your review of the G5 SGH, been wondering about them and if I should get three together to play in the afternoon Boredom. sounds like some good practice and entertainment

augnmike

Reaction score
Great report Wino, harder than carp that's for sure. I bet your dad was smiling down on you.

TheGDog

Reaction score
Dayum... that's quite an accomplishment hitting something that darn small. Do those heads fly similar to fieldpoints? I would think the answer is no??

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
I tried blunts...

...but find they can skip a long way and easier to lose the arrow,

I've had excellent results with judos...

...and they don't go far.

Your head looks like it would stick too but also looks like a pricey head and frankly, I bit like overkill. Did it tear up the critters?

Wino

Reaction score
They seem to hit pretty close to my field points. But to be honest, I not that proficient with my bow as I used to be and my groups with field points are pretty open. I also was shooting with a few odd ball arrow that did match the arrows I sighted in with. I don't want to waste good arrows on rats. That being said, as they left the bow the flew straight and did not curve left or right or dance through the air. I got a 3 pack (100 grn) of these on Amazon for $20. I'm a prime member so 2 day shipping for free. The one I hit didn't get tore up at all. At least not on the outside. But this was a small guy. The arrow just picked him up and carried him away for a bit. A little tear in the skin was all I could see. I think and animal with more mass would probably get tore up. There some guys on youtube knocking the snot out of ground hogs with these and it is brutal. I've used judo tips before but I wanted to try something different. I feel these travel less then judo when I miss. I didn't lose a single arrow that day. I've lost many of judo tip before. That's probably why I didn't have any left.
Wino

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom