Bow sight question

DavidS

Reaction score
Well if I can get this thing figured out, I hope to be able to post here more often! My wife and kids got me a PSE Phaser III a while back. This thing has a PSE Mongoose sight on it, and I can not get the thing to sight in to where it will shoot even anywhere close. I have tried to find info on the Mongoose sight, but no luck so far. Anyone here know anything about it? Or should I just go ahead and plan on replacing it with something else?? Hope I don't sound too dumb asking these questions, just I have been wanting to try bowhunting for a while, and don't want to hurt the wife and kid's feelings, so now I have to try it !!!! Any help would be appreciated !!!!!

Backcountry

Reaction score
If you could be a bit more descriptive about what the exact symptoms of "not being able to sight in" are, that would help with diagnosis and tips on how to fix the problem. At this point, it could be any of 1,000 different reasons (more likey a combination of many) thus it's imposible to give you a simple answer like "move your rest to the right", or "switch to a heavier field point". Using vehicles as a metaphor for archery, you've basically told us you have a VW that doesn't run well and you want to know why. We don't know if it has the 4-cyl or 6-cyl engine, how many miles is on it, how it's customized, if the problem is in the engine, brakes, drive train, or suspension... we need to know as much as possible about your vehicle and the symptoms of it "not running well".

Please give as much detail as you can about your set up, including, draw weight; draw length; release or fingers; peep, no-peep, or no rear sight; rest style and model; arrow length; arrow weight; arrow type/model; field point weight; stablizer; etc... seriously, the more detail the better.

But don't stop there... how are your arrows not grouping? Are they distributed randomly over the target face, clustered in a group high and to the right of your point-of-aim, strung in a line horizonatlly, strung in a line vertically, etc... the more description the better.

Also, has the basic set up of your bow been taken care of such as center shot, proper arrow spine, proper nock height, etc...?

Please don't take this the wrong way, as I myself was right where you are about 2 years ago, but it sounds like you don't know what you don't know... let's call this stage #1. Stage #2 was actually the hardest stage for me... that's where you learn that there is a seemingly infinate amount to learn about bow tuning, and you're trying to take it all in, and it's overwhelming... Stage #3 you'll be stuck in the rest of your life... that's where you know a lot about bow tuning and shooting form, and you also know what you don't know, and you are forever competing against yourself to improve.

Regardless, you don't need to have your bow shooting bullet holes to post here... if I would have asked more questions right off the bat I would have been much happier and less frustrated a lot earlier in the game.

Finally, I'm no expert; however, there are experts here in these forums that will have A LOT to offer... knowing what questions to ask is the hard part, so keep throwing darts until someone gives you advice that makes a difference!

Cheers, Backcountry

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
It could be a number of things, from timing, weight, shaft selection you name it....As Backcountry said, give us some more info and we'll get you going..........

3D4ME

Reaction score
DavidS;

Please give us some more information. This is a great place to get information and help from!! I have a hunting partner that had the same problem with a used bow he purchased. We tried for two weeks to try and get it right. Come to find out he had a twisted riser. Browning made good on the bow and all is well now. I am sure if you answer most of Backcountry’s questions the guys here will have you shooting tight groups in no time. Post back soon.

DavidS

Reaction score
Ok, guess I should have known that you guys would need more info....guess that is why I still call myself a "newbie"!!! Here is what I do know .....
Bow is a PSE Phaser III...28"draw...50 lb. weight...tried the finger thing but wussed out and got a release...has a peep....not sure about the rest style and model .....arrow length is 30"....don't know the weight of the arrows......arrow is marked with "2413 Superlite" and it is aluminum......field point weight is 90 GR....does have a stabilizer.

As far as center shot, proper arrow spine, and proper knock height......heck if I know! This is the first bow that I have had my hands on, and the wife and kids just found it and bought it because it was cheap. The arrows came with it.

As for the arrows grouping ......they aren't!! I have been shooting at a target about 2'x2' roughly 20 yards away.....and only about 1 out of 5 shots will even hit the target. Some shots go high, others go low, and most of them have been to the right of the target.

It will take a lot to get me discouraged and "just give up" ....don't want to dissappoint the wife and the kids.....that is why I came here for help! I know that at one time or another a lot of bowhunters have been in the place that I am in now!! I have been on the Gamecam forum here and have received tremendous help there, so I am confident that I can get that same kind of help here,it just takes patience!! I just hope I don't sound like a complete idiot! If it will help any, I can take a few pics of the bow and the arrows and post them.

Thanks again for any info !!!!! David

BDB

Reaction score
For starters I think you may be over spined (arrows too stiff) for your setup. I used to shoot 2413's that were 30" long with 125 grian heads at 65 lbs. Now, that said, the over spine issue is not your problem (maybe a very small part of it) with what you are describing

My best advice is get to a proshop and get some instruciton on shooting form and consistency.things like anchor point etc. Your bow may be very badly out of tune but if you are only hitting the target with 1 of 5 shots (others all over the place), you probably have more that a tuning or sight adjustment problem.

This is definitely not meant as a criticism. If you do not have someone who shoots a bow already that can show you the ropes, your best bet is to hit a pro shop for advice and guidance. Trust me, it will save you a TON of grief.

Good luck and stay at it, it's a very rewarding sport.

Backcountry

Reaction score
I'm with BDB on this one... given the severity of your symptoms, I'm going to guess that your bow is far, very far, from being set up correctly. Unless you have knocking pliers and a nock square AND know how to use them there's no need to even begin to try to give you instructions on how to check/set your center shot (which involves moving your rest and your nocking point).

For now, here's what you should do... first, do a Google search and read as much as you can about bow tuning... a lot of it will be Greek, but at least you'll have some idea of what is going on when you, second, go to a pro-shop and ask them to take some time (think a couple hours at least) to work with you to A) set your bow's centershot and check for correct arrow spine, and B) get that bow's draw length set just right for you and micro-tuned so that the arrows are leaving your bow straight.

It's my guess that the reason you are having such as tough time right now is because your arrows don't leave the bow flying in the same plane as your bow string... like I said initially, there are lots and lots of potential cause of that symptom, and there's really no place for us to begin to help you via the Internet... you need a face-to-face with a pro-shop and he needs to handle your bow and get some measurements off it using special tools.

Good luck, don't give up, and check back with us once you've been to the pro-shop!

Backcountry

3D4ME

Reaction score
Dave;

Sounds like you have several adjustment issues that added together are causing the poor arrow flight you are having. The Arrows you have are about 8% over spined. This will give you the constant right grouping you have. If you want to keep the same setup you have now a 2215 or 2314 is the recommended arrow size.
I agree with BDB that some additional help is needed. With out a knowledgeable person helping it will take a lot of effort by doing trial and error adjustments to set you up. A Pro Shop or another seasoned Bowhunter will be able to get you back on track. If you really want to brush up on the tuning process you can go to Easton’s Web site http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads. The Tuning Guide and the Charts downloads are great reading and will give you some insight on what’s happening with you bow. Much of the setup process of the bow will take two people. You drawing the bow and another person doing the adjusting. With archery a little help goes a long way. By coming here and asking for help you have shown the determination it takes to be a good Bowhunter. Some help with the bow setup, lots practice and you are on your way. Hang in there. Once you get everything set up and go hunting, you will be hooked. Sorry we could not come up with a quick fix for you. Please post back and give us some updates!!

DavidS

Reaction score
I talked to a friend of mine last night that bowhunts, and he told me basically the same things. He also told me of a proshop that is about an hour away from me. I called them and they quoted a ballpark figure of $45.00 to tune the bow for me, depending on what all it needs.They sldo have an indoor range for $4.00 an hour. Guess I'll try and make it up there this weekend and see what happens. I kind of had a feeling that it was a combination of things, most of which could be me never shooting a bow before. Hopefully this weekend things will look better!! Thanks again !!!!!

BDB

Reaction score
Good decision. When hanging around an indoor or outdoor range there usually is no shortage of people to help you out once you start chatting. This can be both good and bad, depends on knowledge of the person your talking to. Good luck at the pro shop

Backcountry

Reaction score
You should know that tuning the bow should not involve you handing the bow across the counter top, them fiddling with it, and then handing it back to you. You must be at least minimally involved in the process or 1) the bow's draw length will not be set correctly for you, 2) the peep height will not be set correctly on the string for your eye and body geometry, and 3) you can be shown what a correct grip is, correct and fluid draw, correct anchor point, and once you have all that down and put oh, 50 or so arrows through the bow to settle the string, check the tune by either paper tuning or group tuning the bow at various ranges.

If for some reason the pro-shop technician doesn't involve you in the process you're at the wrong shop...

Sounds like a lot, but once you get over this first suite of hurdles you are going to be pretty amazed at what your bow can do. Maybe you can see if your bowhunting buddy can go along to help distill all the information that you are going to be taking in. Also, ask around and see if there is an archery club in your area... the guys in the club will likely jump in line to help you tune your bow, and they won't charge you $45 either (but they may try to get you to join their club).

Good luck! Backcountry

DavidS

Reaction score
Well .....I spent Saturday afternoon at the pro shop with my bow....what a difference that made!!!! Told the guy what it was doing, he listened even though he was really covered up with other customers bows. After I told him that I live 70 miles away, he said he would tinker with it, but he didn't have time right then to do everything. He took the Mongoose sight off that I couldn't find any info on and installed a Cobra sight....adjusted the center shot, adjusted the nock height, and shortened the draw length by an inch. All cost was $37.00. I asked him if he had time for a few lessons, and and he said that I really needed to make an appointment, but told me of an archery club in my area where I could get lessons for free. He said he wasn't trying to push me off or anything, just really busy and if I asked the archery club, it would be cheaper on me! So ....looks like I am going to join!!! I have shot the bow since I got back, and it is already 100% better than it was before !!!!!! Will keep posting as things keep getting better!!!!!

BDB

Reaction score
That's good news, keep us posted.

Top Bottom