Bowhunting

Hunter2003

Reaction score
Ok I know its illegal to carry a firearm during an archery season even if it is for personal protection. But when you are in the backcountry miles from the nearest road do you rely only on your bow or do you carry a pistol for personal protection. This will be my first year bowhunting and I just wanted to know what everyone else does.

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
Personal protection against what? Do you carry a gun to the grocery store? Likely to have more problems at the grocery store than out bowhunting. If you are worried about bears than the states that have grizzly/brown bears allow you to carry a gun. With black bears common sense works much better than a gun. My 2 cents. Ed F

Chuck W.

Reaction score
As previously stated, if one is concerned about your safety in the woods you have a much greater chance of a bad encounter in town. Secondly, as a Hntr. Ed. Instructor, IBEP Bowhunter Ed. Instructor, and F&G County Commissioner let it be known the only time one could legally have any firearm is during the "general" season AND if it is not under a Archery only tag. In other words if you have a deer tag that is good during the archery as well as the general season, which any legal method may be used, you would be within the limits of the law. On a personal note if you do not have enough confidence hunting with a bow, then don't hunt with one. Personally, I have taken bear, deer with a bow and have found that good shot placement led to a quicker demise of my quarry than with a gun when shot in the same "kill zone". I feel that when an animal is shot with a gun the noise is the primary factor as why they run off.
In closing, believe in yourself, equipment, and skills as a hunter more than the false sense of security that a firearm may bring. Good luck, be safe, and enjoy the hunt not the kill, 'til next time, keep 'em sharp, Chuck.

Raftr

Reaction score
hunter: i have been bowhunting in Ca for years and never once seen bear or lion on any of my hunts but this is my first time bowhunting in montana and iv'e been a little nervous about running into a griz but i have been in touch with a few locals and they all assured me to just carry bear spray and know how to use it and i should be fine

One Track

Reaction score
This is a good question.

It can be intimidating going deep, with lions and bears in the area - especially your first time. I did a solo wilderness trip, and there were times (after dark) when I was pretty pysched out. It was the general season. I had a .44 in camp. But, I hunted without it, and was miles from camp when the sun went down. I quickly learned that the blackies wanted nothing to do with me or my camp.

If you are concerned, carry bear spray. It's better than a handgun. Lighter. Bigger pattern. And, you won't kill a bear that is only trying to protect her cubs.

wmidbrook

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Ok I know its illegal to carry a firearm during an archery season even if it is for personal protection.[/b]
For others' benefit in case they don't know, it's legal in some states to carry a pistol while archery hunting. Oregon and New Mexico come to mind. A second amendment advocate/hunter took Oregon's Dept. to Wildlife to court over their regulation banning the possession of side-arms while archery hunting. Oregon's OFG lost. You can now legally carry a pistol while archery hunting in Oregon and I'm damned glad that precedent exists now.

Personally, I do think it's a breech of the second amendment when Wildlife agencies make it illegal to possess a pistol while archery hunting. Also, I hate regulations that are add-on's. If it's illegal to take an animal with a side-arm, why should I have the Gov.'t telling me I can't pack one? If it's illegal to take an animal with a firearm, it's illegal. Why does the gov't have to take it a step further by telling me I can't posses it? ....that regulation says to me, we don't trust you. What happened to innocent until proven guilty??? That's right up there with an IRS tax audit....show all your books and receipts to prove you paid your taxes right when there's no evidence I did anything wrong.....want less Gov't in my life...not more.

Whether I ever need a pistol while archery hunting or not is immaterial to me.

Masterhunter

Reaction score
Its legal to carry in Oklahoma also if you have a concealed carry permit, I worry more about the two legged varmint more than the ones with four legs. Concealed means concealed, and it can and only will be used in life or death situations. I have had occasion where I was bowhunting (on indian land with written permission) and had other (hate to call them hunters) persons, who had rifles and threatened me, when they saw me walking out. I calmly explained that I wasn't trespassing and told them to go talk to the landowner. It could have gotton ugly as they had rifles and I just had my bow & a Glock 30 (.45 ACP). Won't catch me unarmed whether I hunt or just go to the store. I'm wearing mine concealed as I write this and don't even notice it. Good night!

C++

Reaction score
I've heard that air-horns work great on scarying off mountain lions.

Greenleaf

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm going to be carrying one during coues and javelina hunts near the Mexico border. I'm more worried about drug smugglers than lions.

Schoettgen

Reaction score
A bear going through your tent in the middle of the night isn't protecting its cubs. In the last ten years black bear problems where I hunt went from rare ( at least for me) to a regular occourance. Even if you keep a clean camp you may get raided because the bear found food or was fed at a camp in the past. Have a deer hanging and you better be prepared to defend it. So far thowing pots and pans, rocks yelling and acting aggressive have worked. I park my horses a little downwind of camp and they make a good early warning alarm system. I feel a bit more comfortable with a gun, but I don't pack one during archery season, though I believe it is legal to have one in camp as long as you are not in possesion of it while hunting (CA). On the rare chance I get jumped by a lion I will just make due with a bow, I doubt you would have much of a chance to draw anything if that happend anyway. At worst I figure I will use my bow like a Louisville Slugger.

barel74

Reaction score
Originally posted by C++@Aug 11 2004, 07:36 PM
I've heard that air-horns work great on scarying off mountain lions.
And any other game your after!

in2blacktail

Reaction score
The more time you spend out in the back country the more relaxed you'll get. I was a mess the first couple of trips out solo. I am alot better now.

I did encounter a Mountain lion hunting pigs several years ago. It was right before dark when I was hunting over a dried creek bed waiting for some unsuspecting wild pigs to move. To my left I caught movement, I turned and looked and to my surprise, it was a mountain lion. It was probably 65-75 lbs. When he came into view he was about 25-28 yards. He stopped at 18 yards from me just above my location. He looked around panning right to left. His sight stopped right on me, I was sitting up against the tree with my bow.
I tried to play him like a deer, motionless, but it was pretty obvious I stood out to his superior vision. The face off lasted about 10-20 seconds, which felt a whole lot longer. He kneeled down, and ran back the way he came. I was pretty numb. It was one of the neatest experiences I have had while out hunting.

999 times out of 1000 I think the dangerous animals (black bears and cats) will run at the chance to get away from you if they can.

wmidbrook

Reaction score
I've tromped around Kodiak many a day with just a .243 deer hunting in Grizzly country when I lived up there. For that matter, I've tromped around fishing in bear country with no weapon during salmon season on Kodiak.

I'm as about as comfortable in the woods as anyone can get....lived in the middle of no where on the Porcupine River in AK for a couple months gold mining with just a buddy. Been out there by myself for days at a time. Out there, bears are much more aggressive unlike Kodiak with it's copious salmon runs.

And, I sure hope someone takes DFG to court over this issue. I don't carry while archery hunting in CA because it's not legal.

I don't like not having the choice to carry.

If there's an area with Mt. Lion or bears, I'd prefer to carry or at least have a sidearm in camp. Yes, the likelihood of ever needing to use a firearm is extremely low for personal protection while archery hunting. I just don't like CA playing Big Brother on this one---thanks for not trusting us Archers DFG~!

Schoettgen

Reaction score
Originally posted by wmidbrook@Aug 12 2004, 12:49 PM

And, I sure hope someone takes DFG to court over this issue. I don't carry while archery hunting in CA because it's not legal.

I don't like not having the choice to carry.

If there's an area with Mt. Lion or bears, I'd prefer to carry or at least have a sidearm in camp. Yes, the likelihood of ever needing to use a firearm is extremely low for personal protection while archery hunting. I just don't like CA playing Big Brother on this one---thanks for not trusting us Archers DFG~!
All it takes is money. Get cited for the sidearm and take it to court. Challenge the constitutionality of the law and be prepared to appeal if needed. That is the ultimate test of any law. I agree, the choice should be left to the individual. National parks also prohibit possesion of firearms as do state game refuges. It is the bears in these protected areas that can really be scary.

BDB

Reaction score
I am not too worried about the hunting part of it or hanging around camp. The only thing that gets me a little worried is after a deer is down. If hunting by myself, and I shoot a deer in the back country, one of a couple of things is going to happen. I am going to bone it out and hike out with it or hang it in camp for the night. Both cases offer me a considerable amount of time in very close proximity to a fresh kill, ie walking buffet table.

I believe it is legal to have one in camp as long as you are not in possesion of it while hunting (CA)[/b]
Now, if this was legal, I would feel a whole lot better bent over a carcass cutting meat for 2 hours with something bigger than my knife handy.

wmidbrook

Reaction score
All it takes is money. Get cited for the sidearm and take it to court.[/b]
I agree. I would think that 2nd Amendment groups such as Madison Society or California-based 2nd Amendment organizations would foot the bill for engaging in such legal battles.

As strongly as I feel about the issues, I'm not willing to spend the kind of money it might take to battle it thru to the end nor risk loosing my CA hunting privilegesover it (and other states' hunting privileges via these reciprocity agreements) .

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
Devils advocate= Let's look at the reason that this law is in place in Ca. Picture this. Average joe bowhunter finds a honey hole but can't get close enough for a shot so he decides to take his 7mm mag slung over his shoulder, for protection, and his bow in his hand for that up close shot. The close shot never happens and he tags a big buck with his 7mm. Chances are slim that there is a game warden within 100 miles (Ca). Don't think for a second that this wouldn't happen, often! Realistically the need for a gun in the woods during archery season is slim and none (Ca). Common sense is the answer when dealing with downed game. If the chance in a million happens that a bear or lion wants your game, it's his anyways, even in states that allow you to carry a gun.

Wmidbrooks arguement about the right to carry is a whole separate issue. more of my 2 cents. Ed F

thehunta

Inactive
Reaction score
I like this....I say if you want to carry a pistol...go ahead. Who cares what the law says. They change all the time. Thats what the courts are for. If you get pinched...push it. Then appeal it......then push it some more. Lets not forget here folks...For the People, By the People. If more people stood up for what was right, these dumb laws would change. As long as you can articulate why you have the gun with you, and it's for a good legal reason, carry it. Screw authority. This is supposed to be the land of the free and home of the brave. It has turned into a bunch of cowardly pidgeons doing what they are told. We all need to grow a set and do what is right, not what we are told.

gc4279

Reaction score
thehunta,
I think I'll find other ways to stand up for my rights. I can't afford the fines, lawyer or court costs. I'm also not going to risk loseing my hunting privileges.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom