Bows and airplanes

Glass eye

Reaction score
When you fly, has anyone ever measured your bowcase or other gear ?
The baggage restrictions on my flight are 62" L+W+H that doesn't allow for much. Are they really pulling out the tape measure like UPS does ?

What's been your recent experience ?

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
glass, i fly all the time with a 150qt cooler and my bow case. never had a problem,
i understand they have now changed the limits AGAIN, 1 carry on and 1 checked bag.
which means we will be paying extra for are gun and bow cases

gear bag always goes in cooler taped up, meat and horns split to go in cooler on the way home,
hide frozen and smuggled in on my carry on to avoid overwieght charge!!!man there,s a charge for everything
gotta pay to play though. SO, where you off to now?

PaPaBob

Reaction score
Like hatchet1 said I think the measurement is only to determine if you are going to be charged extra for an oversize bag. It isn't that they will sayd you can't take it but rather just get out the old plastic and keep on truckin' . . . LOL

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I've flown with my bowcase twice in the last 3 weeks. Both times on Southworst. I have a big SKB double parrallel limb case. Never been an issue.

Glass eye

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hatchet1 @ May 7 2008, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
glass, i fly all the time with a 150qt cooler and my bow case. never had a problem,
i understand they have now changed the limits AGAIN, 1 carry on and 1 checked bag.
which means we will be paying extra for are gun and bow cases

gear bag always goes in cooler taped up, meat and horns split to go in cooler on the way home,
hide frozen and smuggled in on my carry on to avoid overwieght charge!!!man there,s a charge for everything
gotta pay to play though. SO, where you off to now?[/b]
Hatchet
You just described the way I pack. I expect to return with a full cooler so that'll put me 1 piece over limit coming back. My Hawaiian Air flight doesn't have the 1 checked bag limit until June 10th, I'm leaving this tuesday to Kona.
I just hope that they don't pull out a tape measure for the cooler before I even get a chance to put meat in it.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
If in doubt, hit up a UPS/FedEx depot and ship your clothes luggage back home. It's much cheaper than the overwieght/extra baggage charges the airlines stick you with.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Never had trouble with my SKB 4-gun case, even when it's packed and almost certainly overweight (I have used Delta, Northwest, USAir, and American). I do pay extra when I ship the meat home in the cooler. Two boned-out axis fit real nice in a 52qt cooler.

It's getting tight, especially on some airlines.

Good luck in Kona!

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
I fly with a double bow case that is over the 62" limit and never had a problem... yet!! I just got a notice from Alaska Airlines. Starting May 1st you are only allowed one 50 pound bag and one carry on!! Luckily I bought my tickets a few months ago and was grandfathered in. IMPOSSIBLE to do an Alaskan DIY hunt with just over 50 pounds. I am going to be forced to buy a lot of things (food, stove fuel...) in Kodiak which will be double the cost. It's gonna take a lot of planning to get it done. I guess it'll be part of the adventure from now on. Ed F

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
get it done my man, and we will look forward to the photos and story when you return

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
Using/used my SKB rolling duffle...My bow and camo goes underneath and other stuff on top, have flown three (3) times now with not a problem.

Buck-eye

Reaction score
Ed,

Maybe it would be cheaper to pre buy everything and ship it up. That is, if you have an address to ship to.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom