Brand new 870 Express

LetEmWork

Reaction score
What is up with the rust on my new 870 Express? I used this gun for the first time on opening day (Oct-13) and when I took it out of the case to use yesterday (Oct-20)  it was a rust bucket. This gun didn't have the normal shiny blueing finish but instead has a dull finish....almost a rough type finish. I talked to a few guys at the refuge I hunted yesterday and they said it was a "matte" finish Remington uses. I am not familiar with this finish but I will say I am very T'd off this has happened to a brand new gun. I have e-mailed Remington and requested a replacement gun. Anyone else have this problem?

LetEmWork

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Don't own one just for that reason. My buddy had one with the matte finish and same thing. RUST BUCKET after one day at that salt marsh we call Delevan NWR.
I think Remington told him it was his fault for not taking care of it properly

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
LetEmWork,
I've owned one for about 13 or so years. It's been a great gun. I've been using it at Salton Sea since I bought it. With proper oiling and after use cleaning, I can say there hasn't been a problem with rust.

I thought they called the finish "parkerized"??? I've heard the term "matte" asso. w/ Mosburg before.

I had a Rem 1100 (jam-o-matic) w/blue finish at Wister years ago and watched it rust as I sat in the blind.

Try some break-free (with a wire brush) on the rust and see if that doesn't help.

Good luck

(Edited by wingman at 4:06 pm on Oct. 21, 2001)

feelinducky

Reaction score
I've had my 870 for about 7 years now and it has worked great.  I've dropped it in the pond numerous times and still been able to use it with no problem.  Last year I had one of the shell holder rails fall out (I'm not sure exactly what the name of the part is but its one of the two pieces that keeps the shells in the magazine).  I took it to a gunsmith to get it repaired and cleaned.  He repaired it, but when I got it back there was still mud on the stock so he really didn't clean it very well.  As far as rust, I try to spray Rem oil on it, and wipe it down after the day is over.  That does a great job at keeping the rust off if it.

uhunter

Reaction score
I have an 870 and love it. I have used the gun numerous times under many diffrent situations. Never a rust problem, i think what happened to your gun is this, alot of new guns are packed in an air tight sealed package that is dehumidified and etc. So when you bought your gun it was dry and didnot have a protecting layer of any sort, ie CLP, lube, rust protector or what ever you use. I know this is how the weapons bought by the military and others come. I am not positive but would by not be suprised that is what Reminginton is doing. So when you by a new gun now it is very important to give it that first layer of protectant. This is why EAs dad was probably told what he was told. Well good luck with your gun they are a good model.    

songdog

Reaction score
Nothing personal but... rust only happens when the gun isn't cleaned properly.  Different materials and different finishes can take longer or shorter periods of time before they rust but it still all happens the same way.

If you put the iron in steel (even stainless), water and oxygen together you're going to get rust.  Add some salt like you find at Wister and it happens a lot quicker than you'd expect.

However, I'd have to agree with Remington.  If you take any finish and clean it properly it won't rust.

I was duck hunting in TX a few years back when my buddy did one of those classic "trip over the unseen root" in about two feet of water.    He went in head first and tried to stop the fall with his 870.  It was burried in about 6" of mud under two feet of water.

That night he removed the butt stock and fore stock and took the remaining metal parts in the bathtub with him (don't tell me there's not a romantic relationship between a man and his favorite shotgun) and scubbed them clean.  He dried it off, oiled every nook and cranny of the gun and then put the wood stocks back on.

That 870 is over 40 years old, shot by three generations of duck hunters and has been in more duck blinds that you could imagine.  It's got a few dings in the wood and the bluing is almost shiny silver in some places but it is in excellent shape and doesn't have a spec of rust on it.

Like I said nothing personal.  On a more practical note - you may want to check your gun case.  They often can absorb water from a wet/damp gun and even after you spend all that time cleaning it and replace it in the wet gun case... well, you get the picture.  Make sure that case is dry too.

LetEmWork

Reaction score
Songdog, I agree to an extent but this gun started rusting within a couple hrs after shooting time. It was almost as if I could see it rusting before my eyes. It got a little bit of dew on it and the rust began. Keep in mind this was the first time this gun was ever used and/or taken outdoors. And I do take care of my guns. :)

songdog

Reaction score
If it's real quick like that some fine 0000 steel wool and some WD-40 should make it look new.  Scrub enough to remove any rust but not so hard as to remove the finish underneath it.  

You are right though... it can happen quick.  When I leave Wister, I have to clean my guns before I leave.  If I don't, the 3.5 hour drive home is normally enough to get it started.

E A Hunt

Reaction score
JUNK !!!!!!
The finish that is. It's the Matte finish, It's JUNK !
I can run my Browning to Hell and back for weeks at a time and it still shines.
My pal's 870 with that really neat no shine JUNK !!! matte finish well........
If the weatherman speaks of rain it starts to rust. Send it back. Whatever you do it WILL allways rust.
The two that the guys in know have are now spray painted camo. They be JUNK!!!

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Sounds like there's something left out of the finish on your gun.   There's no reason rust should start that quickly ( a couple of hours), even on the plain matte finish.  

On the other hand, if you didn't clean the gun or take it out of the case for a week after a hunt, it's not unusual at all.  The cheap finish on the Express and the Wingmaster is barely there at all, and rust comes up real quick.  

If Remington doesn't help (they probably won't), I might suggest having it blued or parkerized at a gun shop.  True parkerizing will make it damned near rust-proof, but it ain't cheap.  Next best thing to stainless, though.  

Otherwise...fine steel wool, a tube of Flitz, and some elbow grease.  You'll also need to oil it every time out, or it'll come right back.

MQ

Reaction score
I have an Express and the finish is somewhat porous and holds moisture. Face it, it's a cheap gun. The rust comes off with fine steel wool, but you may always see a little rust at the end of the day. It aint no big deal, unless you leave it sitting there. I always put a good coat of oil on it, especially if its gonna rain. Dont store it in one of those sock type cases. I have had bad luck doing that. Otherwise the gun should perform flawlessly.

Jay

Reaction score
A new gun shouldn't do that. Tell Remington what you think about their quality and see what they're willing to do for you.

I have seen a couple of guys leave guns in foam-lined cases only to open them up to find their guns rusted out. The foam traps any moisture and keeps it right next to the gun.  

The other option is to have it "dipped" in a platic camo finish. Check out http://www.trebark.com

I had my 10 year old 'berg 835 dipped because the finish was wearing thin.

By the way, I've sent my 'berg back to the factory twice. Once for spent shells sticking in the chamber and once for a broken fore end. They rebored my chamber, put on a new camo fore end and tossed in a camo stock....... all for free!  

I'm a happy 'berg man.  

tommyo

Reaction score
SAME THING HERE!!! I have a new 11-87 with matte finish - it has three rust areas on the barrel and receiver.  I picked this gun up in August of this year, shot doves two days, clays another couple of days, patterned it.  The finish SUCKS.  Good gun though, I think?????? Is there some medicine for this - I would rather solve the problem than go into refund/return black hole.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
You're not alone Letemwork,

When I got my Rem 870 a few years back I noticed the same thing about the finish. You could literally clean it and watch it  rust up. I painted it that spring for turkey and no more rust.  I'm rust free.

fowl Shooter

Reaction score
Its them salt cedars down there. When your gun comes in contact with them they start getting crusty and start rusting. Take a rag with you to the blind and wipe your gun immediately when thit comes into contact with those cedars. I've shot my 870 down there for many years now. The finish o the barrel was history after 1 season and do not put your gun in a case till you have cleaned and oiled it.

huntducks

Reaction score
Letemwork

First thing I did before I ever shot my super mag express was paint it, home depot has camo paint in 3 colors, I had heard this about the finish on them, so I solved the problem before it got to be one.

I have several other 870 wingmasters with a brite blue finish, and have had zero rust problem when I have taken care of the gun.

Megadeth

Reaction score
Remington makes a great gun, but a terrible finish. Proper care is always necessary,even on the best autoloaders. I always carry my oil, rags into the marsh in a ziplock. Remember: In times of good prepare for the worst.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom