Brea Council News

Marty

Reaction score
http://www.ci.brea.ca.us/ Council Agenda for January 15:

That City Council adopt the attached Resolution approving the San Gabriel and Los Angeles Rivers Watershed and Open Space Plan, “Common Ground: from the Mountains to the Sea” prepared and adopted by the Lower Los Angeles and San Gabriel Rivers and Mountains Conservancy.

======

Adoption of the Plan does not impose any costs on the City. To the contrary, the Conservancy is expected to bring significant state dollars into the region for open space, environmental education, water quality, and habitat restoration projects. The next of these funding opportunities consists of $15 million in Proposition 12 State Park Bonds which is expected to use the Open Space Plan as one of the tools for project evaluation.
An example of likely future opportunities can be seen in AB 1602 state park bonds which will appear on the March, 2002 ballot and which, if passed, will earmark $40 million for the Conservancy

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Marty,
    Are you a Brean?  I'm just below the hills on Berry.  I can't imagine that I'll ever shoot in those hills but they sure are nice to hike and view the wildlife.

Marty

Reaction score
No.  I'm not a Brean.  I live further south.  Wouldn't mind hiking those hills. The CNF is fun to hike; as long as you hear the bikes coming downhill first.
:O)

Bald Eagle

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm from Ohio and I read the Council Ajenda with interest.  What does "Common Ground" mean?  Also I'm concerned about "prepared and adopted by the Lower Los Angeles and San Gabriel Rivers and Mountains Conservancy".

Any time local, state, or federal government gets in any way involved - it usually means trouble.

Who owns this land?  Is it up for sale?  Or possible developement?

WE MUST DOWNSIZE GOVERNMENT AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY!

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Bald Eagle,
     The conservancy, in general, is meant to protect and preserve some of the last open spaces in the LA/Orange county area.  Most of the lands in question are privately held and definetly prime for development.  The hills above my home are owned by Aera Energy (Shell Oil) and Unocal.  From the local papers you're told that the conservancy is trying to ultimately link several open areas to maintain an "animal corridor".  This in an attempt to avoid "animal islands" which would lead to animal population crashes.  There are already several small canyons under conservancy which we are free to hike and view.  The Chino Hills State Park is kind of the anchor tennant.   A few pricy private land holdings in the Anaheim Hills area were purchased in the last year or two for the same reason.
    In Brea, we are surrounded to the north by open fields and hills primarily owned by the oil companies.  Brea does have a long range plan to keep a lot of the hillsides in as natural a state as possible (with the addition of biking and hiking trails).  The city even had a vote last year (defeated) that would have prevented most hillside development.  Two problems arose; 1) how to reimburse those land owners for loss of development income, 2) much of the land in question is NOT in the Brea city limits, but rather within the Brea "sphere of influence".
  I don't know if you've been to our area, but it is VERY over-developed.  I'm hoping not to become a NIMBY (not in my backyard) on this issue.  Spend a few days in our traffic congestion and it's easy to see why so many would like to tie up these lands.  I'm sure I've missed some points on this topic - can anyone add?

Top Bottom