breed unknown

crittergetter

Reaction score
Quite a few years ago I saw a breed in a magazine I was interested in so I cut it out. Well now that my Brittney "trigger" is permanently retired I started thinking of getting a new trusty companion. Sure enough I can't find the clipping. So... I'm pretty sure it was a European breed, medium to large in size. The name was unusuall spelled like maybe it was german, Chec, Russian, or something along those lines. It was mosly brown with grey/white and black tweed like coloring. It looked to have kinda wire like hair with the squre muzzle hair. Sort of like a large wire hair Jack Russell or rat terrier in the face but with hair like a long or wire hair German short hair. I destinctly remember the picture noted that it was good for fur and feathers. That's what attracted me plus its noble good looks. I sure would appreciate some help.

crittergetter

Reaction score
The Ceskky Fousek sound like a possibility. It had that type of phenetics. I would have to see a picture I guess. Imagin the dog you pictured with a wire haired muzzle with the multiple colors of the body. I think a key may be the good on fur and feathers.

DKScott

Banned
Reaction score
Many if not most of the Continental breeds are versatile and are used, at least historically, for fur and fowl because of the European hunting traditions

How about a Slovensky Hrubosrsty Stavac? I have no idea what one looks like or does.

Here is a pic of a Csesky Fousek

crittergetter

Reaction score
Yes thats it. Wow! You made that easy. Thanks! Do you have an opinion of this breed? Pros / Cons? Are there many of this breed in the states? I would like to find a breeder in California preferably Central Ca. Are they pointers or retrievers? Where might I find more info. on dog and breeders? Thanks again.

DKScott

Banned
Reaction score
There is a breed club in this country - try Google. Most of the wirehaired breeds have a similar look. You might look at GWP/DDs or Pudelpointers as well as WPGs. I think there is a gallery on versatiledogs.com. Also check with NAVHDA (navhda.org) which is dedicated to training, testing and hunting all versatile breeds

All I really know about CFs is that they were infused into WPGs some time ago to add some vigor to the breed. They are considered versatiles which means land or water, fur or fowl, search, track, point and retrieve, as required. How well they do that compared to other versatiles, I haven't got a clue. I would suggest some serious due diligence before getting any hunting dog, especially if its a breed you know little about.

One thing about rare breeds, besides having very few choices about where and from whom you can get a pup, is that they have a very small gene pool, especially in this country. That can lead to inbreeding issues and other problems. That isn't to say you can't get a fine dog, I would guess that folks who specialize in rare breeds are probably pretty passionate about what they are producing. But be prepared to fly a pup in or drive across the country to pick one up - maybe you'll get lucky and find a breeder close to you.

Good luck,

Scott

crittergetter

Reaction score
I did search for a while and found some leads. One breeder is in Sacramento. I concur on the rest of you advise. Thanks for your help.

crittergetter

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. Checked out for a while. I loved my brit. He did some spectacular things in the field for me. Iv'e had Brits for twenty years and was thinking about trying a new breed. Probably won't though

Top Bottom