Brian's digital game camera and some pics

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Brian sent me this pics of his game cameras and some deer from his digital game camera. Nice work Brian.

Left to right: Video Camcorder Box, Remote  camcorder Transmitter box, Digital Elph S100 game camera, Canon Owl PF 35 mm camera.

Canon Elph S100 digital game camera

Here are some pics from Brian's digital Canon Elph game camera.

robNhood

Reaction score
Nice pics. I sure will be glad when the deer get their winter coats.

They look so funny with the red hair and skinny necks.

Fubar

Reaction score
Brian  Thanx for the pics. Nice cameras. Is that a salt block in the pics?            Fubar

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
It is a mineral block on the stump and Super 15 mixed with granulated mineral salt and mixed into the dirt.  I put 50 pounds of mineral salt to 1/3 bag of super 15.  The deer seem to love it and it has all the minerals found in most high dollar mineral bags.

I have pictures of this deer on this lick since may when he first started growing antlers.

You will notice in the left hand corner of the picture I have some back flash.  The digital elph has a lens that extends and retracts.  You have to be careful not to let the lens touch anything that would interrupt its focus or it will not take a picture so I left to much room inbetween the lens and the glass so I get backflash.  I have recently fixed this problem by putting rubber o rings together an letting the whole lens go inside this ring and the back flash has disappeared.  I will send some daylight pictures next so you can see just how good these pictures are.

Brian

Jon Bain

Reaction score
Brian, I really like the Elph setup you have there.  Great job.  Love the pic too.

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Just curious, but the Elf in the picture looks like it has a zoom lens.  Most zoom cameras I have run across have an auto shutdown feature.  Does this camera have one?  If so, how do you wake up the camera after power shutoff?  

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Here's 2 more pics Brian sent me to show what the Canon ELPH S100 can do in the daytime. The pics are unedited by me excpet for resizing them from 1200 x 900 to 640 x 480 pixels. Brian can post what editing, if any, he did to the pics. Also Brian, I don't see any time stamp or info on the time stamp? Does it have time stamp. One last question, what resolution/settings are you shooting these pics in?

The ELPH S100 camera is 2 megapixel using compact Flash for storage media. 35-70mm (35mm equivalent) f/2.8-4.0 all-glass aspherical lens to help minimize image distortion. 2X zoom lens. A quick price check on MySimon.com shows this camera going for about $399.00. Hope you were sitting down Gizz. :biggergrin  More on the camera specs http://www.beststuff.com/articles/20000517184413/

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Jaggermax,

This camera does have a zoom feature but I do not use it.  It is a digital zoom and the rotary button used to move it is not easily manipulated.
I built my own infrared sensor using micro power chips.  The entire circuit idle draws 20 uA and only 4 mA  for short bursts until reset.  This whole action from trigger to reset takes about 10 seconds or less.
I first use a dip relay to turn the camera on and then use a delay for the camera to power up and then a dip relay to trigger the shutter.  Once the picture is taken I wait for a short delay for the camera to process this picture and then automatically turn it off again making sure I maximize the power savings.

The camera system runs off a 9V battery for about 9 to 10 months and the battery in the camera is said to take 274 pictures with one charge.  I haven't been able to test that fully because I only have a 32 M card.  The battery with the camera according to the spec sheet will last 30 years if I charge it once a month.

I hope I have answered your question I get excited about this stuff so I tend to get wordy.

Brian

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Spectr17,

The time and date can be seen by right clicking on the picture in windows explorer and going to properties and the time and date the picture was uploading along with the time and date the picture was taken is visible.  You should be able to do this since I sent them to you by email. Also, the software that comes with the camera has a time and date box at the bottom right hand corner of the window that shows the resolution and time and date stamp.

The resolution is 1600X1200 Large.  This camera has three settings for compression S L M.  Super, Large Medium all at 1600X1200.  The camera will shoot 640X480 but I like the latter.  The files are usually just under a Meg a piece.  If you go to the max setting each picture will be around 1 M apiece.
I found the cameras for $374 back some time ago.
I also have a four AOL photocam trail cameras which I bought individually through ebay for about 70 to 100 dollars a piece.  If you do not mind the 640X480 resolution and a year quirk with the time and date this a cheap way to get a digital camera system. You have to use Nickel Metal Hydride batteries the AOL photocam is a power hog.  I parallel three sets of batteries and it will take several hundred pictures depending on flash and other conditions.  The most I have gotten at one time is 128 in one week with the camera on a 30 second delay.  I just got 83 out of my camera at my mom and dads house to day.  They are around 47K a piece.  I will send as many as your email account will let me which appears to be just under two meg and you can look at them and see the difference.  There not as good but they sure are cheap to develop.  Perfect for deer feeders, scrapes, food plots so forth.

Brian

(Edited by Brian at 11:38 pm on Aug. 10, 2001)

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Excellent reply Brian.  I have been reluctant to use any kind of zoom camera, because I felt by the time I turned the camera on, waited for the camera to activate and lens to move out, and then take the picture, that the deer may have left the field of view.  But I may just place it near a food plot or a bait pile so that they will stay in place while the camera powers up.  

Also, Brian, how did you tap into the trigger of the camera?  Did you just hardwire directly to the pads under the trigger button?  I noticed that there are TONS of 35mm date zoom cams on ebay for sale that are cheap.  I may get one or two and try to do what you did with the power control of the camera. Turning the camera off during idle time definately has it's benifits.  Thanks.  

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Jaggermax,

I use small wire (22 to 28 AWU[wirewrap on video camera]) and solder to the surface mount switches if present or to the flat lands that some cameras have like the OWL.  Not all cameras have the metal jumpers from board to board like the owl so on the AOL photocam I just soldered to the criss cross lands themselves.  You just have to be careful.  Also, be careful when soldering some of the focus/take picture buttons together.  The OWL will let you solder them together (HOME BREW CAM) but some cameras actually power up the infared focus without actually touching the ground.  If this happens your camera battery will drain quickly.  You can over come this problem by using a double pole single throw(DPST) relay and separate the focus and take a picture.

Brian

(Edited by Brian at 11:51 pm on Aug. 10, 2001)

(Edited by Brian at 12:13 am on Aug. 11, 2001)

gizz

Reaction score
WOW!
Brian, would it be too much to ask if you could email me a pic that was taken directly from the camera and put on your PC? I'd like to see the quality first hand as I've been looking at digitals for a long time but seem to go in circles.

gizz@starband.net

Thanks

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Gizz,

The pictures are on the way.  I sent you some of the ones I just got today.  This buck is moving during the daylight alot.  I think I might have passed him last year but I am not sure.

I have some low resolution pictures from the AOL photocam too.  They are alright and they get the job done but the elph pictures are awesome to me.  I sent Spectr17 some of the low resolution pictures maybe he will post a couple to let ya'll see the difference.

Brian

BOHUNTER

Reaction score
I AM SO NEW AT THIS STUFF ITS UNREAL. I HAVE FOUND THAT A QUESTION IN A KNOWLEGABLE GROUP LIKE THIS HAS NO CHANCE OF STUMPING YALL. I APPLAUD YALL ON THE BRAINS...BACKBONE OF JESSESPAGE HERE. WITHOUT FIGURING THESE OUT FOR US " MEMBERS" WE WOULD BUY A 250 DOLLAR PLUS CAM OR NEVER HAVE ONE. ALWAYS WONDER WHERE TO PUT THE ONE WE HAVE OUT AT ...HMMM IF I HAD ONE ON BOTH SCRAPES...500+ DOLLARS NO WAY....BUT BEING A LIL BIT CREATIVE AND HAVING SOME COMMON SENSE MAKES US TACKLE THE 60 DOLLARS OOPS PAPER WEIGHT...LOL I DONT KNOW WHAT A "MA " MICROAMP IS OR WHAT THE HECK IT PULLS SO THE EASIEST WAY FOR MOST IS DRAW IT, TAKE A PIC OF IT, AND JUST TRUST THE BUILDERS...RS- 9V-4MONTHS...ALL I NEED TO KNOW BUY A BATTERY AND KEEP ON GOIN. FILM 24 EXP $.40 DIFFERENCE ...I CANT PASS UP 8 PICS...TOO HARD LIKE A JELLY DOUGHNUT...WE ARE AHEAD ALREADY!!!  DONT REINVENT THE WHEEL...IT WORKS....ITS LIKE GOLF ..HELL JUST HIT THE BALL...DONT WORRY ABT THE OTHER THINGS THAT MAY GO WRONG...I WAS SENT THIS PAGE FROM MY BUD IN AUBURN ALABAME AND I BELIEVE HE GOT IT FROM  WWW.BOWSITE.COM....I WISH I HAD KNOWN BEFORE I WET TO ILLINOIS 16HRS SO I COULD LEAVE THEM FOR 3 WEEKS AND GET BACK TO GET THEM..."WE LEFT ONE AND FORGOT TO TURN ON AFTER CLIMBING A DARN MOUNTIAN" WHAT DIP DOS...OH WELL ITS GONNA LOOK LIKE LIGHTINING BUG CONVENTION NEXT YEAR...THANKS FOR THE POSTS..VERY INFORMATIVE.. >-BOHUNTER->

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Knobby,
The camera uses a special battery made by Canon. When you buy the camera it usually comes with a battery and a charger.   I usually buy an extra one for each camera that way I can replace the one in the camera  every time I check for pictures and then recharge the used one at home.
They run about $30 to $50 dollars for the rechargeable batteries depending on where you buy them.  Ebay has them sometimes about as cheap as you can find.  Watch out for the imitations on Ebay try to stick with the Canon made Batteries.  Hard to tell which is which on Ebay unless you read the find print.

Brian

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
I have a Sony on the way now and it uses AA batteries but I hear they will not last long.  Know one knew how long the NiMH AA rechargeables would last so I bought the extra batteries and charger since they said their battery would last for like 1700 pictures without flash.  That was a pretty staggering number but they are $60 a piece and the charger was like $150.  I think I can charge my Video Camera batteries with it too and I had wanted one of those for awhile because I can't charge the Camcorder batteries without the Camcorder. Kind of like your digital camera.  Hopefully, it will work for both type batteries.

Also, since the Sony uses two AA batteries I bet I could use Arch's battery adapter and a 3.3 volt regulator and hook the camera up on a 12 volt solar charged system and leave it in West Texas for months at a time.  Right now the largest memory card is 128Mbyte which I think is a couple hundred pictures.  I don't know how long it wood take to take all those up so I might not even need the extra battery source if the rechargeables will take the number of pictures they say it will.  Sorry I am excited about getting the new camera and I can't wait to play with it.

Top Bottom